Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by BuZz »

I have downloaded the ext4 version to double check, written it to a sandisk ultra fit and an older Verbatim stick, and it boots on two of my O2 Jogglers that I had handy. Not sure what the problem could be - did you try another stick also ?
jasiek

Post by jasiek »

Yeah, I've checked the checksums. Perhaps my hardware revision is different to yours? The model number on mine is AO2JOGXN.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Did you try another stick also to make sure it's not something that is affecting specific flash devices with the kernel update ? I did test on another revision A02JOGON - I will see if I have a Joggler that matches yours.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have tested on a AO2JOGXN also with the v1.4 xubuntu ext4 image and it booted ok.
jasiek

Post by jasiek »

I'll retest with another stick, perhaps tomorrow. In the meantime - does anyone know how to configure lightdm to fire up kodi automatically when the unit boots up? I've spent two hours figuring it out and I've gotten nowhere.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Log out of xubuntu, and at the top right you can change the default login session. actually on the image there are two Kodi's - a minor bug, but choose the first, and log in, and reboot and it should boot back into Kodi.
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

BuZz wrote:I moved your post as this is a more suitable thread for discussion of problems with Xubuntu on O2 Joggler - the other thread is for discussing USB sticks.

Did you compare the md5sum of the downloaded image with the values on the download page ? Perhaps you can detail your setup and how you wrote the image. For example are you using a USB hub ?
Thanks for moving :) Only just seen this, I wasn't subscribed to this thread but that's my fault for posting in the wrong thread!

The md5sum - is that for the zip, or the image? The image mismatches. I get the same problems consistently for 3 different downloads:
1. Base and xubuntu - f2fs gives the same "panic" error message as someone else has posted on this thread in the last few days. This is on USB3 and my old transcend microsd
2. xubuntu ext4 works on transcend microsd but not on Sandisk USB3 - it gives the "dropping to shell" message. This per-device behaviour probably rules out MD5 problems?

I'm writing directly from my laptop onto its USB port using win32diskimager.
jasiek

Post by jasiek »

So I'm running mine off a Sandisk memory stick which is USB2.0. I ordered a new USB3.0 stick as I hope it'll improve the performance of the entire unit.
pete

Post by pete »

Here and it's been a few years now purchased a few of the Kingspec USB 2.0 SSD sticks.

Way back I did fit these inside of the O2 Joggler removing the wireless stick.

I did go to an external USB wireless stick then. I just soldered on to the motherboard a new USB 2.0 port.

My current Openframe (not O2) Ubuntu box is utilizing the internal MMC to boot a 40 pin ZIF 15cm cable to ZIF PATA SSD. It is so thin that it fits fine over the wireless stick. I did leave the wireless USB stick inside and plugged in. I did glue a small USB 2.0 Hub on the back of the device and wired it USB 2.0 like to the motherboard. Works fine.

I am still using the Kingspec USB 2.0 SSD sticks today and they are fast and work well with Buzz's Ubuntu. Lately been using these to test boot and play with the Openframe 7 devices.

They are difficult to find these days and more expensive than the stock USB 2.0 or new USB 3.0 devices.
KingspecSSD.jpg
KingspecSSD.jpg (12.94 KiB) Viewed 22638 times
Relating to playing with the RPi2 and new Intel Atom based mini PC I have gone to using the new faster microSD MMC cards. They seem better built these days, fast and do not get trashed with much RWing stuff.

I have two RPi2's and one Intel Atom Baytrail running with these 24/7 now. One is in the attic here and exposed to extreme temperatures either cold or hot and still runs fine.
sandisk.jpg
sandisk.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 22638 times
My last computer build I went with an m.2 sata for a hard drive. It is tiny. I am amazed. PC has been on 24/7 now for many months and running well. I noticed now too you can purchase an m2 to USB card. This would fit fine inside of the Joggler.
m2satatousb.jpg
m2satatousb.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 22621 times
m2sata.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

Hi Buzz
Some more info ... I'm up and running right-first-time on version 1.3 of xubuntu using f2fs (is this the best fs, or better sticking to ext4 on a Sandisk USB3?).

So I do think it's likely to be something to do with v1.4 that is causing some of our devices to fail to boot....
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I go into detail about the filesystems on the downloads page. I use ext4.

Unfortunately without some hardware that works with 1.3 but not 1.4 I will be unable to really fix it. I can only think it is one of the kernel changes, but hard to fix without having something to test on.

Did you try some other usb sticks to see if it's down to some timing issue that affects certain hardware / usb stick combinations ?
jasiek

Post by jasiek »

Just out of curiousity, how do you build these images?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Is there something specific you want to know? I don't have time to write a howto etc. There is various info on the forum, and the wiki regarding Linux on the Joggler, and the Kernel patches etc.
jasiek

Post by jasiek »

I guess I wanted to know if you use virtualbox to build them from 'within', or just add a mountpoint and install it everything that way.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Virtualbox initially just to install xubuntu and then I rsync it off, and do everything else from a chroot (a dev chroot which is created via debootstrap, and the main chroot from the virtualbox install). The base image is created via debootstrap also. Then the images are generated from this via creation of a file, and partitioning/mounting it etc and rsyncing the files on.
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

BuZz wrote:I go into detail about the filesystems on the downloads page. I use ext4.

Unfortunately without some hardware that works with 1.3 but not 1.4 I will be unable to really fix it. I can only think it is one of the kernel changes, but hard to fix without having something to test on.

Did you try some other usb sticks to see if it's down to some timing issue that affects certain hardware / usb stick combinations ?
To be honest I'm quite happy with using v1.3, and am very glad of all the support you've shown - it's made my joggler fab. I was more feeding back my experiences in case it helps identify a problem area or just lets other users try an older version which may perhaps solve any problems experienced.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thanks. It would still be useful to me to get to the bottom of this, and if you have some other USB sticks I would appreciate if you could give it a go.
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

OK no problem, I can tell you that it works on an (c8? c10?) transcend 8gb microsd mounted in one of those tiny microsd to usb converters.

I'll try some other USB sticks over the next few days ... just squeezing things into the pre-xmas rush so I may be a bit delayed.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Many thanks for the latest versions BuZz. The base has been working fine for me. Put it onto a MyMemory 128GB USB3.0 stick and no problems so far. Updates ok and for what I've asked it to do, not had any problems at all.

Don't think I've tried the Xubuntu though. I have an earlier version with a lot of packages installed so would need to move data and reinstall packages. Is there a good way to do this ? I was thinking of doing something like taking a diff of dpkg -l with the 2 versions to see what I needed to install. And this could be incremental so that I can keep on checking as I install more of the main packages.

My own data is more straightforward as I'd keep it in a specific location ( well I'd like to think I do).

I guess the hard one will be the package/application settings. Not really sure what the best thing to do here is. Just hope I could recreate what I have in the older version, in the new.
talkingbollox

Post by talkingbollox »

I installed Xubuntu 14.04 Server version on a USB key, but it starts on a command line to input the password, and I didn't know how, so installed Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty LTS. What is the password for root please? It doesn't appear to be "joggler".

Thanks in advance.