Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by hawsey »

Thank you kindly sir :-)
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

New images released - see first post in thread or visit - http://jwills.co.uk/projects/joggler-xubuntu/

Changes:
  • Kernel 3.2.71
  • Kodi 15.1
  • Package Rollups
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you BuZz.

Testing a new out of box used for development purposes Openpeak this afternoon. Looks that the EFI boot chip is messed up and might swap it for another one.

Gonna first boot up in your new build and try to write a new EFI boot to the chip and see what happens before I try to switch it out. Intially have reflashed it with Roobarb!'s reflash system and it does finish just fine but doesn't boot.

I am guessing only on this because I did find an EFI boot that rewrites the first partition on the MMC when it boots as a safety thing or the MMC is trashed.

I will save off the EFI boot anyways before writing a new EFI boot. (Roobarb! might want it for the collection).

OK so have it booting in to the Avaya boot EFI.

Still no boot from to the updated MMC so now will look at it with Buzz's build / GParted to look see.

A quickie side test and opened up the Openpeak. Installed Seabios and an SSD. Boots fine.

Will install another ROM (Joggler) and try again to see if I can get it to boot in to the MMC.

If not will reformat first EFI partition on MMC and create another boot partition.

Turned out to be a bad EFI rom. That said I have seen that before. Replaced EFI boot rom and all is well.

Moving on to another Openpeak doing same.

This one booted up to a command line prompt. Looks to be for development. Will dd partitions before wiping.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Welcome.

Would be interesting if it has a new efi we don't already have (or was it dead as I think you wrote at the end?). Where do you get all these openpeaks from btw ? ebay or ?
pete

Post by pete »

I am thinking that the EFI chip mentioned about was partially toasted (I have seen that before) where as it looked to work. Yesterday just updated it with the Avaya / Openpeak logo ones which worked fine on a replacement boot chip. I should just discard it so I do not utilize it again.

The OpenPeaks came from an Aerospace company and I have really not a clue what it was that they were doing with them.

I just got them in various stages with much of them just booting to a command line prompt and not to a flash based OS. The EFI boot logos on most of these were all the little rectangular OpenPeak logos which worked fine with the firmware that Roobarb! had posted. They do all have the DECT chip & Zigbee chip (covered) and SIM card traces on the back side of the motherboard and single microphone but double microphone slots on the bottom. Well too all have the ZIF PATA port in place and working. I did try a little experiment putting the SSD ZIF card right under the ZIF clip and over the speaker there. It was still a bit too tight. Well too a metal heatsink that covers everything on the motherboard that gets warm. (a antenna inside too clipping socket wise to the almost middle of the motherboard - which may be zigbee or dect - antenna is on the top of the inside of the case.)

I did only two of them and tried initially not to open up the cases. I ended up replacing the EFI boot chip on the first one and the second one was just fine as it was (which booted to a command line prompt). I did keep thinking on the first one that the MMC was toast and it was really the EFI boot chip. When I upgraded via Roobarb!'s utility the MMC on the second one did notice many FSCK writes (pages of) to the MMC so that was probably might be going.

None the less I did DD that first MMC and compressed it to some 90Mb along with an EFI save with just a date on it. (IE I was still able to boot to your new Ubuntu posted build to do this). All this goofing around also noticed that my 250Mb for ROM only stick (backed up) got toasted with a single tiny RO partition that acts like a CD ROM drive and a regular drive that I think was already on there anyways but cannot fix doing a zero write to the it.

I can upload it where you want BuZz.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Interesting!

Regarding any EFI dump - please can you email it to me buzz [at] exotica.org.uk (or use google drive or something for any larger files such as contents of the mmc).

thanks.
pete

Post by pete »

No problem BuZz...will post this afternoon local time and provide link.

I've been testing an Ubuntu build on SSD and booting it from a small USB stick.

Is there a way to do this from the EFI partition on the MMC?

On another box I am using the Avaya boot EFI which should boot directly from the pata SSD but does not today.

The old EFI boot directory has:

boot.efi
initrd
startup.nsh
sum0
vmlinux0

Where as startup.nsh shows:
fs1:boot
fs0:boot

The new USB EFI boot directory (for booting to the SSD has:

boot.nsh
config-3.2.69joggler1
grub.cfg
grub.efi
initrd.img-3.2.69joggler1
initrd.img-3.2.69joggler1.old-dkms
ssdbootusb.txt
startup.nsh
System.map-3.2.69joggler1
unicode.pf2
vmlinuz-3.2.69joggler1

Where as boot.nsh shows:
fs1:
grub

startup.nsh shows:
fs1:boot2
fs0:boot

and grub.cfg shows:

loadfont /unicode.pf2
terminal_output gfxterm
set timeout=5
menuentry "Xubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty) - 3.2.69joggler1" {
linux /vmlinuz-3.2.69joggler1 root=LABEL=linux-root ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img-3.2.69joggler1
}

Can I just copy all of the files from the boot EFI on the USB booting the SSD to the MMC EFI partition?

root@ICS-JogglerOH1:/sys/firmware# lsblk -f
NAME FSTYPE LABEL MOUNTPOINT
sda
├─sda1 vfat linux-boot /boot
├─sda2 swap linux-swap [SWAP]
└─sda3 ext4 linux-root /
mmcblk0
├─mmcblk0p1 vfat /mnt/mmc
├─mmcblk0p2 ext3
└─mmcblk0p4 ext3
uba
└─uba1 vfat LINUX-BOOT
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have added Kodi 15.2 to the Joggler Ubuntu repository.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you BuZz!

Updated Kodi is showing in updater.

kodi Kodi Media Center (arch-independent data package) New version 15.2~git20151020.0515-59716ca-0
kodi-bin i386 Kodi Media Center (binary data package) New version 15.2~git20151020.0515-59716ca-0
kodi-pvr-dev all Kodi Media Center (PVR Add-on Dev package) New version 15.2~git20151020.0515-59716ca-0

MMC booting to SSD working fine now here.

/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type vfat (rw)
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thanks - I will be releasing new images in the next day or tweo including the latest 3.2.x kernel (3.2.72) and the kodi and other package updates. Will include the sata drivers also of course.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you BuZz!

A side note:

Found a Python time-lapse script which is low energy with a bash conversion script which is high energy.

Been playing with weather cam timelapse stuff.

I have been saving it over to the KODI download directory. Kodi does fine playing it.

It is very addicting watching these time lapse videos.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

nice! how often do you capture frames etc ?
pete

Post by pete »

Every 30 seconds.

I have left the Python script continuously running as a cron job such that it is a live up to the second video capture. The bash script though is a CPU hog.

The mjpeg file is around 315 Mb while the mp4 file is around 75 Mb.

Removed link as even the compressed file is a bit big.

The 2-3 AM lights going on used to be animals (coyotes mostly) and lately it's been kids (kind of a bad thing now).
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

New images released - see first post in thread or visit - http://jwills.co.uk/projects/joggler-xubuntu/

Changes:
  • Kernel 3.2.74
  • Kodi 15.2
  • Package Rollups
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Buzz!
- Pete

Auto mater
rivergo1d

Re: Best USB stick for Joggler?

Post by rivergo1d »

I'm just trying the December 2015 xubuntu ony a Sandisk 32G Ultra USB3 - but I get the "dropping to shell" message after it goes most of the way through booting.

Can I ask what images people have successfully run on these sticks, and with what FS? I tried using ext4 ...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I moved your post as this is a more suitable thread for discussion of problems with Xubuntu on O2 Joggler - the other thread is for discussing USB sticks.

Did you compare the md5sum of the downloaded image with the values on the download page ? Perhaps you can detail your setup and how you wrote the image. For example are you using a USB hub ?
pete

Post by pete »

Here sans any modes at all (except for EFI boot rom swap for the Seabios ROM) I have had no issues booting Buzz's Ubuntu boot sticks (well except for the PATA port boot one which just hangs). For that one I just wrote an EFI boot partition on the MMC which boots the PATA SSD and it is working fine.

The EFI boot roms tested have been Avaya, Verizon, OpenPeak and a couple of energy boot ROMs. The new ones that I got came from OpenPeak and have Openpeak boot EFI Roms. Never did play or see here a Cisco boot EFI rom. That said I am guessing it should boot fine to Buzz's Ubuntu where then you can write an OpenPeak EFI rom to the device. If not then maybe the blind boot typing might work. You cannot screw anything up if you are careful. Just do not fat finger it cuz the EFI boot chip is soldered on to the motherboard.

I have been testing right now on an open motherboard with Buzz's most current build. It is all in pieces and it boots fine. That is what I am using to look for the PATA port and whatever is plugged in to the mini PCIe slot and soon micro SD slot. I have now also tested to see if the mini pcie slot works with mSata (doesn't) and an MLC card (doesn't). Next is the smallest sata PCiE card I can find.

I have been able to run Ubuntu and XP just fine from USB port. I did add a second port off the top camera USB port.
- Pete

Auto mater
jasiek

Post by jasiek »

Hey,

I've downloaded the latest images, but got this message when I ran it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/md3jhmrriqwvg ... 0.jpg?dl=0

This appears to be a problem on all recent images. Are the old images available for download somewhere?

Cheers,
Jan
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

if you lower the version number of the download link (1.3 instead of 1.4)

Which image did you download ? Did you compare the md5sum of the downloaded image with the values on the download page ? Perhaps you can detail your setup and how you wrote the image. For example are you using a USB hub ?

I have tested the ext4 version on my Joggler here and it boots fine.