SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

Post by gegs »

Man in a van wrote:Did you comply with this part of the instructions?

The minimum you need to get started is an account at mysqueezebox.com, which will give you access to content over the internet. However, to get the most out of SqueezePlay you should install Squeezebox Server onto your computer. This will serve out any music on your system to SqueezePlay, Logitech’s own Squeezeboxes and many DLNA compatible devices. You can also install plugins to the server, which will add features such as Spotify support and BBC iPlayer radio streaming.
I don't necessarily agree with the above statement about where you should install Squeezebox Server (now called Logitech Media Server or LMS). Installing to a computer is probably best if you have a big collection of music saved to the hard disk or network storage.

However, if you only want to use streaming radio or Spotify, you can install LMS to the same USB stick as Squeezeplay. This is how I use it and it is more energy efficient and works great as a server to 3 Jogglers running Squeezeplay OS. Who needs Sonos?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

gegs wrote:
Man in a van wrote:Did you comply with this part of the instructions?

The minimum you need to get started is an account at mysqueezebox.com, which will give you access to content over the internet. However, to get the most out of SqueezePlay you should install Squeezebox Server onto your computer. This will serve out any music on your system to SqueezePlay, Logitech’s own Squeezeboxes and many DLNA compatible devices. You can also install plugins to the server, which will add features such as Spotify support and BBC iPlayer radio streaming.
I don't necessarily agree with the above statement about where you should install Squeezebox Server (now called Logitech Media Server or LMS). Installing to a computer is probably best if you have a big collection of music saved to the hard disk or network storage.

However, if you only want to use streaming radio or Spotify, you can install LMS to the same USB stick as Squeezeplay. This is how I use it and it is more energy efficient and works great as a server to 3 Jogglers running Squeezeplay OS. Who needs Sonos?

Well, my advice to the OP is to check what is written on the page he linked to

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/squeezeplay

Better to get started in a simple manner than to muddy the waters by a discussion over which method to use :?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Sorry, you are of course correct. I had my SqueezeplayOS blinkers on because I'd just re-installed it (and all my plugins) before reading the thread.
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

Hi Guys
Not been around for a while, and apologies if there is a thread on this. If there is, please point me to it.
I have changed my NAS with all my music on, and can't seem to find a way to install LMS on it like I did with the old one.
So I've set up a Joggler running LMS on an external USB drive instead. The Joggler is hard-wired via RJ45 into a switch, along with the NAS and the router. I can access the Joggler LMS via my browser fine. However, when I go into basic settings and browse/scan for media folders, it only shows the Joggler's folders in the pop-up window. How do I get it to read the NAS on my network?
I'm assuming a bit of editing is necessary via SSH or the like?
Cheers
castalla

Post by castalla »

You have to 'mount' the NAS music folder on the linux system. What NAS? At the very least to get started you need to know the NAS ip address, the folder location on the NAS, and whether the folder is password protected ...

You also need SSH installed on your usual computer to be able to make the edits for mounting.

There's a network point routine in SPQos - under settings, I think. This might work without the need to edit.

Report back with the NAS details and we can proceed.
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

castalla wrote:You have to 'mount' the NAS music folder on the linux system. What NAS? At the very least to get started you need to know the NAS ip address, the folder location on the NAS, and whether the folder is password protected ...

You also need SSH installed on your usual computer to be able to make the edits for mounting.

There's a network point routine in SPQos - under settings, I think. This might work without the need to edit.

Report back with the NAS details and we can proceed.
Thanks castalla, and apologies for the delay in replying!

Details as follows:

IP address = 192.168.1.111
Model = Lenovo NAS-IX2-DL
MAC address = 00:d0:b8:15:70:69
Folder location = \\Nas-ix2-dl\dance music\POP'N'ROCK
Folder not protected

Cheers

jaydee999
castalla

Post by castalla »

Just two more questions - can you see the folder from Windows? Do you know the file system setting for the nas (cifs/samba, ntfs)?
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

castalla wrote:Just two more questions - can you see the folder from Windows? Do you know the file system setting for the nas (cifs/samba, ntfs)?
Quotes from a generic Lenovo pdf that I found. I hope these are the answers you are looking for:

The LifeLine software relies on Samba to work in a Windows environment.

The LifeLine software is Linux-based and uses the XFS file system that supports POSIX ACLs,
which are utilized by LifeLine to map to Windows ACLs for user access control.

When a share is created on the LenovoEMC network storage device, it can either be secured or
public. A public share requires no user access control; every user can access it and gain full control
using both CIFS and NFS. On the other hand, a secured share allows Windows user access control
to be configured by checking the Allow users to change file level security option.

jaydee999
castalla

Post by castalla »

Okay - can you login to the Joggler via SSH ?

You will find all this easier if you install WinSCP on your win PC. This let's you see/edit the files/ folders on the Joggler.

Also install PuTTY on your PC

To access the nas, we need to edit one or maybe two files.

Report back to confirm that you can login via PuTTY
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

Yes, all good. Can login in via Putty. Can see Joggler files in WinSCP.
Yay!
castalla

Post by castalla »

Okay - you need root access. If you are not logged in as 'root', type (and hit enter after each command)

sudo passwd root

at the terminal prompt

type a password of your choice - it will ask you to repeat it, there's no feedback so be sure it's correct!

quit the terminal

Re-login as user root and new root password

----------------------

At terminal prompt, type

mkdir /media/nas

--------------------------------

Exit from joggler

Report back when complete - and we'll continue with step 2
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

Bingo!
I can see the folder nas within media in both LMS settings and WinSCP.
:-)
castalla

Post by castalla »

Okay - now for the tricky bit! We have to mount the contents of your nas drive into the /media/nas folder

If we are lucky this should work with a simple edit. The following assumes that your nas has the fixed ip address at 192.168.1.111 - if this is not the case, then report back

Login as root using WinSCP

Navigate via the winscp folder icons (top right) to the /etc folder

Scroll down the contents of the /etc folder to locate a file called fstab (there's also an fstab folder - that is not what we need!)

Double click on the fstab file - this will open an editor window

add this line to the end of the fstab file:

//192.168.1.111/dance\040music/POP'N'ROCK /media/nas cifs username=guest,password=

Save the fstab file.

----------------------------------------------

Now - go to PuTTY as root - at the command prompt, type

mount -a (If the command returns to the prompt without any errors then we are almost done!)

Now type:

ls /media/nas

You should see a listing of your nas music files ????

If so, reboot the joggler - the nas music files should be automatically mounted on start.

To check this, login via PuTTY and do the ls /media/nas command again - files should be listed

-----------------------------------------

Report back if this all goes to plan - or if you get errors.

The final step is to get LMS to scan the /media/nas location - don't do this until we are sure the nas files automount on joggler startup

-----------------------------------------

I have to go out for a few hours - but will get back to you later
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

Error. :-( This is what came up in cmd prompt window. Tried the dmesg command and you can see the error message. Googled -6 but couldn't see anything.
Start Quote
root@joggler:~# mount -a
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.1.111/dance music/POP'N'ROCK,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

mount: mount point does not exist
root@joggler:~# dmesg | tail
wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
r8169 0000:01:00.0: eth0: link up
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
perl[6719]: segfault at dbdbdbdb ip dbdbdbdb sp bfc1ed0c error 5
RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module.
RPC: Registered udp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
CIFS VFS: default security mechanism requested. The default security mechanism will be upgraded from ntlm to ntlmv2 in kernel release 3.3
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -6
End quote

Just for sake of completeness, this is how the fstab file ends at the moment, where user and password have been changed to the NAS parameters. I was getting the same error message when I used guest and blank.

start quote

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
none /tmp tmpfs noatime,size=192M 0 0
none /var/cache/apt tmpfs noatime,size=256M 0 0
none /var/lib/apt/lists tmpfs noatime,size=256M 0 0
none /var/log tmpfs noatime,size=16M 0 0

LABEL=sqp-root / ext2 errors=remount-ro,noatime,noacl 0 1
LABEL=sqp-boot /boot vfat defaults 0 0
//192.168.1.111/dance\040music/POP'N'ROCK /media/nas cifs
username= :?: ,password= :?:
castalla

Post by castalla »

Oh dear .... okay, first edit the fstab to remove the line you added

This is always the issue with nas drives - weird file setups and permissions.

Try with this modded line (and add a return at the end of the line)

//192.168.1.111/dance\040music/POP'N'ROCK /media/nas cifs username=guest,password=,sec=ntlm

Code: Select all

//192.168.1.111/dance\040music/POP'N'ROCK /media/nas cifs username=guest,password=,sec=ntlm
Then in putty

mount -a

Errors?

PS: the fstab entry is all on one line - then put a return after ntlm
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

Hi
Sorry about my silence, but I've been on holiday, fried my desktop PC, and the Joggler I was trying to sort out with you has got corrupted thanks to unforeseen reboots.
I'm in the process of re-installing the Squeezeplay software on the Joggler, and will be back in touch once I've got to the same position.
Cheers
jaydee999
castalla

Post by castalla »

No problem.
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

anyone know about alsa settings? I know with squeezelite on raspberry pi you can make changes to alsa settings to correct sound etc. I'm wondering if I need to to stop my music cutting out when using spdif, internal speakers never cut out.

Like the below for example...........
When you complete this tutorial, and you experience bad sound quality, or distortion, then open the settings script again and search for this line:

#SL_ALSA_PARAMS="80"

And uncomment the line (remove the hash (“#”)), this will increase the output buffer size for squeezelite.
and
-a 40::16 -o hw:CARD=Audio -n..... -m .... ( -n;-m irrelevant)

Note that the 16 bit setting is required. If left out it output is noisy when a 16 bit track is played ( 24 bit is okay) - but it does mean I don't get the advantage of the 24 bits....

The music comes and goes, almost like a buffering thing but I really don't know where I could change alsa settings.
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

jaydee999 wrote:Hi
Sorry about my silence, but I've been on holiday, fried my desktop PC, and the Joggler I was trying to sort out with you has got corrupted thanks to unforeseen reboots.
I'm in the process of re-installing the Squeezeplay software on the Joggler, and will be back in touch once I've got to the same position.
Cheers
jaydee999
Evening castalla

I've got myself back into a position to start over with the ssh-ing and editing, but I have a question. I presume that the editing takes place on the USB stick software, and not on the internal OS? I ask because at the moment, the Joggler I want to use for the LMS is refusing to allow itself to show up in any browsers, so the stick is in a different Joggler.
Cheers
jaydee
castalla

Post by castalla »

Hi!

I'm a little confused! You are running the SqPOS from a usb stick in the Joggler - this by-passes any internal OS.

First, you need to get ssh access via putty - be sure to set up a root access before you attempt any editing.