Joggler KitKat 4.4.2 beta (24/3/14)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
dwl99

Re: Joggler KitKat 4.4.2 beta (24/3/14)

Post by dwl99 »

There's an app called Rotation Manager I use for Joggler ICS that lets you force landscape rotation on a per-app basis. There's also quite a good Fake GPS app that allows apps that demand GPS to run. I'm guessing the reason that Kitkat doesn't show the bus app in the Play Store is to do with the build.prop - maybe you could edit this? Alternatively, you could export the .apk file for the bus app using Titanium Backup or another utility then import it into the Kitkat setup.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Thanks for the info, I'm still an Android novice. I managed to download the bus app .apk but it wouldn't install - it seems to go through the process but ends with a 'not installed' message.

I'll have to do a bit of research on editing Android config files and the Fake GPS app. Other apps I looked at were fake location apps that relied on GPS to spoof an alternative and I gave up the ghost.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I couldn't install Fake GPS because it doesn't show in the Play Store, probably a build.prop thing as you said. I then installed Build Prop Editor and don't have a Scooby Doo what to change or what to change it to. Further research needed.

I've also noticed that Joggler KitKat doesn't show on the list of available devices on play.google.com, although ICS does.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I think your Kitkat installation will need to be rooted to edit the build.prop file but I'm sure that root is broken in this Kitkat ROM. It's probably not worth all the hassle IMHO. Let me know if you need the .apk files for Fake GPS or Rotation Manager.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Rotation Manager was available in the Play Store but not Fake GPS. The only GPS tweaks are spoof apps that fool existing GPS but, of course, the Joggler has none.

I downloaded the Fake GPS .apk file and tried to install it but it won't (app not installed error.) Is there a way round this?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

The fakegps app https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1107587/fakegps.apk I'm running on Joggler ICS spoofs my home address well enough for Tripadvisor to work. There are a few Rotation Manager apps out there but this one is the best https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... anager.apk
gegs

Post by gegs »

That's the same Fake GPS app I use on ICS but it won't install on KitKat on the Joggler. It does install on 4.4.2 on my phone though.
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

Can I just clarify that, ignoring youtube, there is still no way to play video (whether files or streaming from iplayer) on the joggler's display itself, either under kitkat or under ICS?

My understanding from this thread is that the joggler can initiate a chromecast video to play back elsewhere, but not showing anything itself?

Also, how is the performance, responsiveness, and generall app compatibility of kitkat versus ICS on the joggler? Much the same, or improved?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Nope no video on Android , can't answer your second question :-)
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

rivergo1d wrote:Can I just clarify that, ignoring youtube, there is still no way to play video (whether files or streaming from iplayer) on the joggler's display itself, either under kitkat or under ICS?

My understanding from this thread is that the joggler can initiate a chromecast video to play back elsewhere, but not showing anything itself?

Also, how is the performance, responsiveness, and generall app compatibility of kitkat versus ICS on the joggler? Much the same, or improved?
As hawsey states, no video on Joggler Android but it makes a great Chromecast controller for my TV in the kitchen (plus loads of other Android goodies like Spotify, weather, email, iPlayer Radio etc.)

If I didn't need iPlayer I would stick with ICS on the Joggler because more apps will run on it. I'm getting a few device incompatibility errors in the Play Store on KitKat for apps that will install on my KitKat phone.

iPlayer channel or category selection doesn't work on ICS but does in KitKat. I hope that an iPlayer update might fix this ICS glitch some time.

If video is more important than the Android operating system, you should try one of BuZz's linux distros. Joggler hardware can run accelerated video, it's just that there isn't an Android driver for the chip.
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

Thanks, crystal clear now
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

I think I know the answer, but there aren't any dual boot systems are there, to allow choice of XBMC (perhaps under Buzz's linux) or Android?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

It's doable but you need a keyboard plugged in to select which os you won't be able to do this via touchscreen.
Happy Joggling
booglehoop

Post by booglehoop »

re: working ethernet

Been struggling to get ethernet connection working and noticed several other posters asking so thought I'd just share what I did in case it's of any use. Because I hacked around first and I haven't tested a 'clean' set of reproducible steps I include what failed first.

1) Disabled wifi in android settings
2) connected live ethernet
3) Launched terminal window and su.
3) Commands that 'failed'

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:xx:xx... (this failed)
netcfg eth0 dhcp (this failed, presumably as the previous command failed and no mac address was assigned)
setprop net.dns1 192.xxx... (no error reported)

notes: I tried the ifconfig command first specifying the same mac address as the wlan, then a made-up mac - both failed.

4) Commands that worked:
ip link set eth0 address 00:xx:xx... (this was a made-up, lan unique, mac address)
ip link set eth0 up
netcfg eth0 dhcp

Bingo

I haven't tested everything, but browser works and my security cam streaming app works. Haven't tried play store.

Hope this helps.
gegs

Post by gegs »

gegs wrote:iPlayer channel or category selection doesn't work on ICS but does in KitKat. I hope that an iPlayer update might fix this ICS glitch some time.
(Quoting myself now) I can confirm that the latest iPlayer update fixes navigation on ICS. Obviously, the Joggler still can't play video but it can be used to stream content to a Chromecast. I use it this way to watch TV in the kitchen, because I can't get a signal at the back of my house, and it's pretty good.

This means I've reverted to using ICS full-time on the Joggler. I probably won't go back to KitKat unless a rooted image becomes available (I really wish I could do that stuff :geek: )
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Told you ICS was the best version of Android for the Joggler :-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

You did indeed! The only reason I stuck with KitKat was because iPlayer navigation worked on it and Chromecast TV streaming is the main use of my Android Joggler. Every iPlayer update I've hoped that navigation would be fixed on ICS and now it finally is. If you have a Chromecast I also recommend the Mubi app; it streams really well from the Joggler and the interface is really good. Not all video streaming apps with Chromecast support work on the Joggler though.

KitKat is still pretty good but the fact it's not rooted is a problem. ICS is also a bit zippier, although that might be down to the USB stick; I've got KitKat & ICS on different brands.
gegs

Post by gegs »

You did indeed! The only reason I stuck with KitKat was because iPlayer navigation worked on it and Chromecast TV streaming is the main use of my Android Joggler. Every iPlayer update I've hoped that navigation would be fixed on ICS and now it finally is. If you have a Chromecast I also recommend the Mubi app; it streams really well from the Joggler and the interface is really good. Not all video streaming apps with Chromecast support work on the Joggler though.

KitKat is still pretty good but the fact it's not rooted is a problem. ICS is also a bit zippier, although that might be down to the USB stick; I've got KitKat & ICS on different brands.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Not sure why my earlier post appeared twice. I'm not allowed to delete the duplicate.