OpenPeak II options

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
jim_lewis1

OpenPeak II options

Post by jim_lewis1 »

I finally managed to get my hands on an OpenPeak II. There's a guy in the US selling them (and a note on here I think, not the same guy though). It cost me about £75 after import taxes and the cut the bloody post office help themselves to.

Anyway, I'm now trying to work out what these units offer in terms of functionality that others don't.

Could someone (Pete I guess!) please outline what hardware is additionally available in these units and what use it can be put to and whether this is only in theory or actual real world use?

Does it require an exotic liux build or addtional software componetns to be added?

I thought there might be a PATA socket installed, but I suspect as with the joggler it's just unpopulated traces. Is bluetooth also available/useable and Zigbee?

Is the DECT phone useable for EG Skype?

Thanks for any info.

Jim
roobarb!

Re: OpenPeak II options

Post by roobarb! »

The wireless module is mini-PCIe with bluetooth on board; it's recognised by the Linux kernel, so you shouldn't have any trouble using it. You can also remove the module and replace it with something else, should you wish to. Zigbee definitely works, I had a play with it quite some time ago. Can't remember what I had to do, but I definitely got some data going through it.

The DECT hardware is usually present, though I've never played with it. Can't see any reason it couldn't be paired with a device and used for VOIP, given the right software. Audio for a DECT handset is handled through a secondary Philips 'VegaOne' device, so that, in theory, could be used with Skype.

No exotic build required; BuZz's distros should work just fine, SQPOS too. Whether they'll have everything compiled into the kernel is another matter, but there are often ways around that.

Oh, don't forget you've got a whole 2GB to play with on the internal memory too! Still 512MB RAM, though.

Good luck and keep us all posted! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Re: OpenPeak II options

Post by pete »

Nada here special playing with the OPII's.

Gotcha really is only the soldered on EFI boot chip versus the socketed one on the OPI's and O2 Jogglers.

You can do a bit more with the hardware traces on the motherboard installing a ZIF PATA port clip or microSD card reader with it.

There is a battery on the motherboard and I am guessing it powers up the RTC pieces.

The DECT phones that come with the devices with stock firmware work fine. There is test software in the directory for playing with the DECT stuff.

I have connected the OpenPeak phones to my Ooma VOIP stuff and it works where you can pick up the phone with it but not do anything else.

You can also remove the mini-PCIe card and replace it with a little Crystal HD card for streaming live HD or recorded HD videos; works well with XBMC.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater