RadioFeeds UK & Ireland (Internet Radio) for P'n'P III

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
vinnielo

RadioFeeds UK & Ireland (Internet Radio) for P'n'P III

Post by vinnielo »

Since O2 provided new software for their Jogglers in Spring 2012, users have no longer able to access the Internet Radio (Lounge) app.
Many users then decided to install Plug 'n' Pimp Mk III onto their Jogglers in order to get the Internet Radio function back.
Whilst this is good, it cannot play AAC+ streams which are now far more common than Windows Media (WMA) streams.
Additionally, it only has a small selection of radio stations.

As part of the P'n'P III package, SqueezePlay and Logitech Media Server are included. Seeing this, RadioFeeds UK & Ireland are able to provide a plugin for LMS to allow access to the RadioFeeds database, providing a comprehensive list of UK and Ireland radio stations for Joggler users to listen to. (Unfortunately, SqueezePlay is not yet able to play WMA streams, but there is only a small handful of stations still using this format only).

To install RadioFeeds onto your Joggler's in-built Logitech Media Server, free registration with RadioFeeds is required at http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/form.html with the following details: provide your full name in the first box, select "Logitech Squeezebox Registration" from the drop-down box and enter "O2 Joggler" in the comments box. Further instructions will then be issued shortly after registration.

You will also need Telnet or SSH access to your Joggler. Whilst some users may have had Telnet access disabled due to further O2 updates, SSH access (though programs such as PuTTY) should still be possible.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
offbeatdave

Re: RadioFeeds UK & Ireland (Internet Radio) for P'n'P III

Post by offbeatdave »

Just to add, this is a nice addition to Squeezeplay's capabilities. Thanks to the RadioFeeds team for putting in the time to create this plugin.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Cheers for the kind words, offbeatdave.
Just so I know, what are the difficulties in getting MPlayer on the Joggler.
Is there a lack of space, is it the installation mechanism (e.g. no Linux console) or is it something else?
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

had a quick look at mplayer a while ago but couldn't fathom if or how it could be installed on the joggler. Perhaps some clever soul can confirm if it is or isn't possible.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Anyone else giving this a go on Squeezeplay?
gegs

Post by gegs »

offbeatdave wrote:Anyone else giving this a go on Squeezeplay?
Assuming you mean installing Mplayer for use with Squeezeplay, I've tried on SqueezeplayOS because it has apt-get capability but I keep getting error messages. I was hoping that if Mplayer and LMS could be installed alongside SqueezePlay OS it would give access to WMA streams. It seems a more feasible prospect than installing Mplayer on the stock OS; I'm not sure how we could do that.

If you meant whether anybody is using the RadioFeeds UK & Ireland addon; yes, I am - and it has been very remiss of me not to thank vinnielo earlier for his contribution. It's great!

--- EDIT ---
For an update on Mplayer functionality in SqueezePlay OS, read the thread http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 3&start=80. Offbeatdave and I now have SqueezePlay, LMS and Mplayer running off a USB stick. WMA streams are re-encoded to FLAC and play well after a short delay (due to the re-encoding process).
Last edited by gegs on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Now there seems to be a few more folk running roobarb's excellent SqueezeOS with LMS and mPlayer, I thought I'd just issue a reminder about this plug-in. Was worth a look even without mPlayer functionality, but perhaps even more with it!
gegs

Post by gegs »

I agree about the RadioFeeds UK & Ireland plugin. It's great!
If you haven't installed it yet - why not? ;)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I've not tried this yet. Really should.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Cheers for the kind words, everyone.
Can I just ask if the procedure is *exactly* the same for SqueezePlay OS?
I might update the first post to reflect this.

EDIT: I understand an SSH server needs to be installed, which takes about 5 minutes. Just so I can picture it, how is this done?
onefreeman

Post by onefreeman »

This is possibly a really stupid question, but my PnP III-enabled Joggler doesn't recognises unzip as a command - do I need to install an unzip program separately first?
gegs

Post by gegs »

vinnielo wrote:Cheers for the kind words, everyone.
Can I just ask if the procedure is *exactly* the same for SqueezePlay OS?
I might update the first post to reflect this.

EDIT: I understand an SSH server needs to be installed, which takes about 5 minutes. Just so I can picture it, how is this done?
In Squeezeplay OS there is an option in Settings > Advanced (if memory serves me well) to install an SSH server. You just choose the option in the interface and it will install and restart Squeezeplay. Very, very easy!
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Here's some good news:
The BBC local radio stations will be moving from WMA to mp3 format meaning they will soon be playable through RadioFeeds on SqueezePlay.
The official date is towards the end of the year, but hopefully, the mp3 streams will be ready ahead of schedule.
castalla

Post by castalla »

What's more interesting is that Listen Again will offer 30 day recall rather than the present 7 days!l
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

A few stations have already been made available on mp3 such as BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru, BBC Radio Ulster, BBC Radio Foyle and BBC Radio nan Gaidheal.
More should be following shortly, including the BBC locals.
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

The first set of BBC local radio stations have now been added.

BBC Radio Bristol
BBC Radio Cambridge
BBC Radio Devon
BBC Radio Kent
BBC Radio Leeds
BBC London 94.9
BBC Radio Manchester
BBC Newcastle
BBC Radio Norfolk
BBC Radio Nottingham
BBC Radio Solent
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Some more recent additions:
BBC Essex
BBC Radio Cumbria
BBC Radio Derby
BBC Radio Guernsey
BBC Radio Humberside
BBC Radio Jersey
BBC Radio Lancashire
BBC Radio Scotland
BBC Three Counties Radio
BBC WM
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire
BBC Hereford & Worcester
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi guys / gals I use the built in radio on PNP III on the built in Pure Lounge app and this morning I now get a message saying they moved to mp3 , is this fixable within the radio app or will I have to go down the squeeze play or xbmc route ?
Cheers
Happy Joggling
jkn

Post by jkn »

hawsey wrote:Hi guys / gals I use the built in radio on PNP III on the built in Pure Lounge app and this morning I now get a message saying they moved to mp3 , is this fixable within the radio app or will I have to go down the squeeze play or xbmc route ?
Cheers
I too had something similar in the week (on R2 only). I am sure there is more to it than the following, and someone will no doubt correct me, but for starters I just did the following:

- go to: http://[please don't link to the fake wiki]/index.php?title=Radio_App and download the file 'jogContent' from there
- copy this to /openpeak/gui/apps/o2_radio/jogContent.xml on the joggler (I used scp; other methods are available)

That XML file seems to have MP3 entries in it and did the trick for me. But I would be happy to know more...

HTH
Jon N