SqueezeBox Server Issues

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
spoyser

SqueezeBox Server Issues

Post by spoyser »

I know this has been mentioned before, although no solution seems to have been posted yet.

Basically I am running Squeezebox Server on one of my my Jogglers with music on a USB stick (mnt/) and all is fine. However, whenever the joggler reboots the whole music library gets forgotten (ie the library that Squeezebox generates when it does a scan, and is responsible for content of the Artists and Albums section in the My Music option of SqueezePlay). When this happens I have to force a rescan through the webUI and this is becoming a bit of a pain in the proverbial.

I really have no idea whether this is the expected behaviour, although I wouldn't have though so.

One thing I have noticed is that the USB stick is mounted as read-only, could this be anything to do with it, and how would I go about changing it to be mounted read-write so I could at least rule this out?
Jarv_77

Re: SqueezeBox Server Issues

Post by Jarv_77 »

I'm in the same boat. I have just done a complete plug n pimp uninstall and reinstall and server has done a good job so far of finding my music and keeping it in albums and artists etc for a couple of days. But I haven't tried a switch off and re boot yet, just pleased to have it working - and at least I can switch the screen off at night now with plug n pimp facility.
NS1

Post by NS1 »

spoyser wrote:I know this has been mentioned before, although no solution seems to have been posted yet.

Basically I am running Squeezebox Server on one of my my Jogglers with music on a USB stick (mnt/) and all is fine. However, whenever the joggler reboots the whole music library gets forgotten (ie the library that Squeezebox generates when it does a scan, and is responsible for content of the Artists and Albums section in the My Music option of SqueezePlay). When this happens I have to force a rescan through the webUI and this is becoming a bit of a pain in the proverbial.

I really have no idea whether this is the expected behaviour, although I wouldn't have though so.

One thing I have noticed is that the USB stick is mounted as read-only, could this be anything to do with it, and how would I go about changing it to be mounted read-write so I could at least rule this out?
Open the web interface, go to Settings > Advanced > Performance > Automatically detect changes (and disable it)

Worth a try.
Regor

Post by Regor »

Hi

There are reported problems on the Squeezebox forum of problems with the 7.6.0 Server software. But to be fair it is an experimental issue and is not meant for general use. The current stable version is 7.5.3.

Now for the interesting bit. I have now installed version 7.5.3 on my Joggler, however, I still am experiencing loss of scan data when the joggler is shutdown and then restarted. This would suggest that the problem is with the joggler not with the squeezeserver software.

:idea:
I also have a SheevaPlug on which version 7.5.3 runs quite happily and it has survived a number of unplanned shutdowns and has not lost any scanned data.

What is the answer? There is a problem with the mounting of the usb drive. I have tried with my very limited knowledge of terminal Linux to fix this but have so far been unsuccessful. I am sure the way it was resolved for the SheevaPlug will provide a solution. When I have more time I will look at it again.

In the mean time can any forum member provide me with Busybox version of these instructions please:

nano /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/music vfat rw,user,auto 0 0

Regards
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Regor,

That would be great if you can find a fix. I'm not tehcnical enough to help out at this stage :ugeek: but please keep us updated!!
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

I have just installed Squeezebox server on the Joggler as I wanted to use a USB stick to serve onto Squeezeplayer on the Joggler. I don't see any icon or way to start it up. I have seen several references to accessing the server through the web interface using http:// Joggler ISP:9000. All I get is an explorer error saying unable to open webpage, although the mormal P&P web access to the machine is fine..

J
yugo

Post by yugo »

Try a reboot or 3
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

@Regor

I have tried the fstab entry and it just seems to get ignored!

Can anyone shed any light on why (or where) it gets mounted RO?

I have also tried remounting it just before squeezesever gets started in S98squeezebox.server in etc/init.d/boot.d and that didn't help either :-(
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Right the problem seems to be because the USB isn't actually mounted by the time SqueezeboxServer is up and running.

If you remove the starting of the server from the S98squeezebox.server file and reboot and then start the server manually once the USB is mounted (ie ls actually shows the files) then all the music is remembered.

Now just need to work out how to delay the starting of the server until the USB is mounted.

Any ideas anyone?
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Fantastic! If that is the problem and gforums or anyone else can develop a fix then happy days!
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Okay, found a quick fix for this issue now.

When the server starts up, currently there is also (always) a forced rescan performed, the problem it seems is that when this rescan is performed the USB hasn't been mounted and therefore you end up with an empty list.

To prevent the rescan delete or comment out the

echo rescan | /media/gforums/busybox nc -w1 localhost 9090

line in the /etc/init.d/boot.d/S98squeezebox.server file

I don't think the rescan is really necessary as it can be forced through the web UI when needed (and it doesn't work as implemented anyway!)

Edit:
Just noticed that you also need to make sure the "Automatically detect changes" in the Advanced Peformance tab is Disabled
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Spoyser,
I'm still getting to grips with the whole telnet and editing thing, so at the moment this is actually a bit difficult for me to do! Please let me know if your mod is successful.
Thanks
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Yes it works, although if you do a re-install or there is an update then this will re-introduce the problem.

It might make sense to contact Christian and get him to look into the timing of the mounting of the USB and the starting of the Squeezeboxserver as that is really where the problem lies.

Jarv_77
Do you know how to telnet into your Joggler?
Regor

Post by Regor »

by spoyser » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:29 pm
Okay, found a quick fix for this issue now.

When the server starts up, currently there is also (always) a forced rescan performed, the problem it seems is that when this rescan is performed the USB hasn't been mounted and therefore you end up with an empty list.

To prevent the rescan delete or comment out the

echo rescan | /media/gforums/busybox nc -w1 localhost 9090

line in the /etc/init.d/boot.d/S98squeezebox.server file

I don't think the rescan is really necessary as it can be forced through the web UI when needed (and it doesn't work as implemented anyway!)

Edit:
Just noticed that you also need to make sure the "Automatically detect changes" in the Advanced Peformance tab is Disabled
Hi spoyser

I am unable to test your modifications as my setup for squeezebox server is different from yours. However, I am, with my setup, able to prevent the server from starting up on a reboot planned or otherwise. By the time I restart the server via a UI the usb drive has been recognised and there is no data loss.

I am new to using the joggler and I am surprised that the problem of the usb drive being read only has not been encountered in the past. I have searched the old forum and the wiki and can't find any mention or solution to this. Perhaps a new thread specifically asking how to enable writing to the usb drive is required?

Regards

:)
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

The read only stuff was a red-herring.

Basically the gforums startup script for the squeezebox server occurs at a point before the USB has been mounted, this results in the scan (either forced via the CLI or automatic) finding no files and therefore emptying the list of albums/artists etc.

I remember at one point the gforums version of squeezeplay had a "rescan server" menu option, this isn't in the roobarbs version, maybe it could be added back, or better still a way of delaying the startup of squeezebox server until the USB has been mounted could be implemented.

Regor
In your setup how do you startup the squeezebox server?
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

I have just commented out the startup of the squeezeboxserver, the sleep, and the rescan from the etc/init.d/boot.d/squeezebox.server file and added the same 3 lines to the end of the etc/init.d/rcS file (ie after tango has been started) and now everything works perfectly okay, including having the automatic rescanning enabled.

Will have to raise this with Christain and see if he can change his script, anyone know how to contact him (I'm not registered on the previous forum so I can't PM him), would someone else be willing to point him to this thread?
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Spoyser,

I am registered in the old forum so will try and send him a PM.

I have gathered the info to telnet into my Joggler but not had the spare time to sit down and try it yet. If you could give me a step by step list of instructions to telnet in and make your modifications so that squeezeserver startup is delayed then I would be very grateful!

Thanks
Regor

Post by Regor »

The read only stuff was a red-herring.

Basically the gforums startup script for the squeezebox server occurs at a point before the USB has been mounted, this results in the scan (either forced via the CLI or automatic) finding no files and therefore emptying the list of albums/artists etc.

I remember at one point the gforums version of squeezeplay had a "rescan server" menu option, this isn't in the roobarbs version, maybe it could be added back, or better still a way of delaying the startup of squeezebox server until the USB has been mounted could be implemented.

Regor
In your setup how do you startup the squeezebox server?
Hi spoyser
I am using SSOXX which is Squeezebox Server on a Generic Linux installation. For a number of reasons, I was not happy with the 7.6 version which is available as part of the Plug'n'Pimp package. I was aware of the use of SSOXX from the Logitech Squeezebox forum. If you visit this site : http://longpress.org/i/?p=696 you will find very detailed installation information specific to the Joggler.
After installing Squeezebox Server by the above method you can the control how the server operates through a UI.
However, there is still the problem you raised, you cannot write from the Joggler to the usb pen drive. To prove this, try to create a playlist in Squeezebox Server, and then save it to the usb drive. The save will fail. Read the Squeezebox Server log and you will see an error similar to 'Could't open /mnt/music/Playlists/TryThis.m3u for writing'.
I think I will post on the forum to see if any member can provide a solution. The same version of server has no problem in saving Playlists on a SheevaPlug.
Regards

:)
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Spoyser, thanks for your instructions. I have modified the files and it all
seems to be working well now!

No response from Christian just yet...
Regor

Post by Regor »

:?: :?: :?:
Hi All
I now have Squeezebox Server and SqueezePlay installed on the Joggler with the standard O2 apps.
I currently have a test library of 110 music tracks stored on an attached usb drive and /dev/mmcblk0p4 is showing 'use 79% '.
How many tracks do you think can be catalogued by the Server before there is no more available memory?
Regards
:?: :?: :?: