Video Telephony

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Video Telephony

Post by pete »

Wondering if anyone is playing with this today?

Personally testing it a bit and recently purchased a couple of low cost Logitech webcams.

Looking initially too at just some sort of intercom functions between Jogglers local then internetwise.

My base Ubuntu 14.04 build though is getting close to 16Gb of stuff and maybe updating my two test boxes to 32Gb.

I am also running a couple of automation programs on the device to see which I like the best and concurrently looking a a variety of touchscreen interfaces such that all of the above comes into "play".
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Juggler

Re: Video Telephony

Post by Juggler »

Hi Pete

Just wondering which logitech webcams you're using and how they are performing ?

Did you get a video intercom working ? What software did you use for this ?

I've been using BuzZ's 14.04 Ubuntu base and it has been great. I think the only problem I've noticed is that when doing some package upgrades or sometimes when installing new packages I get error messages from apt-get or something it uses. I've captured the output and will post it on the Ubuntu thread.
pete

Re: Video Telephony

Post by pete »

Hello Juggler,

I purchased the cheapest ones that I could find as I purchased a "few" of them to test with. Thinking they are the Logitech C270's.

I have not had any issues updating BuzZ's 14.04 build. I have been playing with a few pieces of software on the device filling up the drive(s) at 16Gb.

It was BuzZ's Ubuntu build that got me to update the rest of my Linux boxes over to 14.04. Running with BSD though on FreeNAS and PFSense. Ubuntu on Zoneminder(s) and MythTV (SqueezeServer) with 6 Tuners. (put in an old Nexus tuner in it).

Goofing a bit with touchscreens my test setup today is running VM's talking Ubuntu and two different larger screen touchscreens; one Planar with a new one with dual touch capacitance side by side connected to my one test machine (which works and is recognized by Ubuntu 14.04). > 17" LCDs.

I have to move to a 32Gb soon. I have not broken it yet.
Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.58joggler1 i686)

* Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/

5 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

Last login: Fri Sep 12 16:19:04 2014 from 192.168.244.138
joggler@ICS-Ubuntu-229:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 152d:0602 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 05e3:ffe2 Genesys Logic, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a40:0201 Terminus Technology Inc. FE 2.1 7-port Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:1974 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04cc:5556 ST-Ericsson
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
joggler@ICS-Ubuntu-229:~$
First playing around was trying to get the built in microphone to work which I could not. That said testing with VLC I get major feedback so it must be working. Initially have installed Skype on it and its working fine. Tested SIP applications and they work fine fine. Tested Google + yesterday and it works fine with Webcam.

Concurrent with this stuff checking out touchscreen applications / automation stuff. Running Mono (well now its included) and Wine on the Joggler.

I have been able to run some automation software talking IP in three simultaneous connections to same device. Wine, Mono and OpenHAB all work simultaneously and to not break BuZz's build nor the Joggler so far.

You can "build" a quickie screen for touch applications with OpenHAB (been playing with that). It runs faster in Linux than Wintel.

http://www.openhab.org/
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater