The missing wire

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
hawsey

The missing wire

Post by hawsey »

I have had two Jogglers to bits tonight to fit a stand back to one of the betting shop Jogglers and I noticed one had a black wire attached from the stand to a point on the board and the other did not , I assume its just for grounding or something , anybody else noticed ...
Happy Joggling
Juggler

Re: The missing wire

Post by Juggler »

I think it would be good to have a thread dedicated to the betting shop Jogglers. Seems that there were quite a few differences. I bought a fair number of them and need to look at them more carefully.

From comments I have seen here, there were some that did not have the USB WiFi device inside.

I think it would also be reasonable to say that if a Joggler has been used without the heat sink stand in a betting shop environment (probably on 18/7 or more) then the stand as a heat sink may well not be that necessary unless you are running the Joggler hot. Some threads here/elsewhere comment on the efficacy of the stand as a heat sink. For heat reduction it is entirely possible that there will be some significantly better solutions than the stand OpenPeak have used.

HTH and it would be good to see alternative heat sink solutions.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Both of mine had the wifi intact thankfully , i think the metal stand may be as much use as a chocolate fire guard :-) as far as cooling is concerned ; due to the number of people having used the increase in thermal PSV trick without ill effects i wonder how necessary further cooling is .
That said , i have also mentioned this elsewhere but i think that oil cooling of a Joggler motherboard in some sort of small container with a robo fish swimming around it would be cool .....
Alas i will have to await the Mancave for such a project 8-)
Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Is the black wire you are referring to shown in the lower part of this image, just left of centre; black cover soldered to the PCB and has a loop soldered on the other end; which I presume is for attachment to the stand ?

http://www.madeo.co.uk/wp-content/uploa ... r_rear.jpg

There may be some much better images that this, but it seemed to be the best from Google.

Sorry, I'm a virgin with respect to taking a Joggler completely to bits. Really got to do that soon.

Edit - same black wire can be seen in this image and is screwed onto something which looks like it could be the stand ?

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/mediawiki/im ... _usb_1.jpg
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yep it does attach to the stand via that loop .
The betting shop one looks like it never had the wire tho , either that or someone was very neat and de soldered it
I think I would have just snipped it off :-)
Go on have a go they are really easy to take apart.
Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

I'm looking forward to have a look inside. Actually, I bought some Jogglers that don't boot some time ago and hope that and EFI flash will recover them, but it may be a bit more serious than that.

I'll have a closer look at the Joggler PCB images and see if it is possible to tell what the black wire is for. Typically this sort of thing is a ground. If this was an old radio then typically there would be a ground to the metal case and I would say definitely. Given the colour of the wire being black is also a sign. I can't think of anything else it could be as it is not part of the wireless unit, so would not be using the stand as some sort of crude aerial or ground plane part of an aerial.

There's probably a very simple test than can be done with a multimeter that would confirm if it is a ground or not.

Of course, it could also be a way for the OpenPeak mothership to eliminate users who don't comply and thankfully many people have been saved because they don't use the OpenPeak OS or their Joggler's have had the snip ! :-o
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hmm ha ha yep that's it :-)
Here it is In the flesh
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1400668412954.jpg[/attachment]
as you say I'm sure its a ground wire as it can have no other use .
I think the betting shop Jogglers must have been supplied direct off Open peak without stands hence no black wire .
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1400668412954.jpg
Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

I guess it could be possible to run a continuity tester between the black wire or the point it was/should have been soldered to and a known point that is ground. If there is continuity, then the black wire if more then likely ground. If not then it is something else ?

However, I have to state that I cringe at doing this sort of test on modern technology as I think there may be the possibility that the voltage and current used in the continuity tester may damage the circuit under test. My experience is with much older technology where I wouldn't have been too concerned with damaging the circuit under test.

An alternative is to measure the resistance between the black wire and a known ground point. Again, I cringe a bit as most multimeters would have a 1.5V or close battery in them and I don't know if this would/could damage the Joggler. I don't particularly fancy potentially sacrificing a Joggler finding out, and I wouldn't like any one else to do that either.