Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by pete »

I got it working and booting fine now with the old keyboard mouse combo....now working on the network interface pieces....looks like you can save the configuration for a reboot of the stick....
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That would be great then we could get a Joggler coreboot dsl image :-)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; rebooting and changing the USB stick I scrambled it.

Starting all over again; this time using a USB SSD stick; seems a bit faster.

Playing with the config file I can get it to boot via a GUI; but it seems to want to stick to the touchscreen drivers and doesn't want to load the USB mouse. Still playing ....
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Tried a few things here:

1 - DSL booting fine now with mouse and keyboard - using vga=786 - rebooting it always comes back. Issue is that no NIC drivers are loading; even though it sees the Realtek NIC.
2 - Tried a USB boot stick with Knoppix - doing that vga=786 - looks like it starts to boot fine when the xinit kicks in; then it scrambles; tried a bunch of ways.
3 - Tried a USB boot stick with Ubuntu 13.X - screen goes to hash no matter what I try.
4 - Using a live Ubuntu 13.X; created the Ubuntu 12.10 EFI boot USB stick. Tried to go to a pure MBR Grub2 boot using the "boot-repair" application. It looks like its booting; but does not; just hangs on boot.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi , I'm after finding out what images people have of OS that boot on a SeaBios Joggler , what have people got working please ?
I know we have Snow leapoard from MickChip and possibly DSL , Pete maybe , what else ?
Has anyone got Xubuntu or XP working ?
Reason for the questions is that I've found my SeaBios Joggler and would like to put it to use .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Primarily using Windows XPe on my Seabios'd Openpeak tabletops (which are totally different than the Joggler).

Once you have Seabios'd your Joggler then you can utilize a USB stick to install any image you want. BUT really without an SSD drive (ZIF Preferred) then it is really not worth the effort.

I would write a rom to the realtek NIC chip as it helps a bunch. Easy to do with a DOS stick (documented here).

15 of these are used for Home Automation touchscreens. Been fine now for many many years on 24/7 and managed by automation computer.

These are mostly POE powered Gb connected computers. I do have a few now on wireless using a new Ruckus WAP and they do well. Not really a wireless person here though....
Been testing use of Windows 7 embedded and almost have it working installing it direct but may create a VB image then implement that one.

I was able to get mac OS (mickchip's), DSL, Windows 8, 8.1, 10 to work but way too slow.

Really this stuff works best using internal SSD ZIF connected SSD drive and not worth testing using USB stick.

Here today using and testing a BeeLink BT3 Pro Atom based computer running with 64Gb eMMC Ubuntu 18.04 and an Oracle VB Windows 7e and it is doing well for the price that I got this box new for ....$65 USD. Also testing new generation of TVBoxes smaller than the RPi and faster ARM (Octocore ARM) except that I have not tried VMs on these boxes.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

As always thanks for your input Pete , so is XPe that you use not Joggler specific ?
I forget the process , do you use a usb hub and plug in your SSD then use a usb boot image of the OS ?
Also can you see any cheap SSD usb sticks available presently ? I can't see Kingspecs anymore unfortunately .

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

so is XPe that you use not Joggler specific ?

Not really except for the audio / video drivers.

It boots right from the internal SSD which is connected to the internal ZIF clip.

This is a picture of an Ubuntu running modded Openpeak with an RTC clock, SSD USB stick and ZIF connected SSD drive. This one is the one I updated to Ubuntu 18.04 with the old kernel.

do you use a usb hub and plug in your SSD then use a usb boot image of the OS ?

Way back used a usb hub, keyboard and boot ISO for XPe.

Now just write the XPe image right to the SSD internal drive. This image is not a USB bootable image though; it is ZIF SSD image. (16Gb).

It really is smaller originally starting at around 4 Gb or so....

Is your seabio'd Joggler an O2 Joggler or an Openpeak device?

What is the embedded on plastic name? O2 or Openpeak?
openpeak.jpg
o2joggler.jpg
Lemme try to create a bootable Windows 7 embedded USB stick. I have tried to install W7e via an ISO and I keep getting BSOD's even with the right drivers.

Here is the original link for the bootable XP done by Mevi...note that it is in three parts...

hxxps://1drv.ms/u/s!Akj-Oin7_x0rgnS1gP4FjvKuwnjg?e=ea9mVl

Here is the original dos boot stick to write a new realtek rom.

hxxps://1drv.ms/u/s!Akj-Oin7_x0rgnqe3i3kh_p0l1KA?e=1bhPdo
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Pete , appreciated

Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
Is there any better/newbie way of doing the Realtek nic thing. As I don't want break me joggler look's a little complex.
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

The O2 Joggler came with no Realtek NIC Chip rom - I do not know why it was never populated. The boot dos stick has an old Realtek NIC chip programmer software on it.

Basically you just type the name of the program and the mac address you want to utilize. That is all there is to it.

The reason for use is that the Windows applications never could see the Realtek chip...

There really isn't anything to break because the Network chip has no ROM.

Only thing is that you need to first write the Seabios ROM to the EFI Boot ROM. Restoring the original EFI boot rom is easy as it is a menu option when booting via Seabios.

The Seabios and O2 boot rom are on the USB dos stick as well as the Realtek network programmer.
- Pete

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Cheer's Pete
How do I get the mac address. Might have to get more jogglers for extra playing with.
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

You can make up any MAC address you want or look up what OpenPeak was allocated for MAC addresses.

Seabios ROM installation:

1 - boot up with last posted O2 OS.
2 - write the MAC changer dos image to a USB stick
3 - ssh to the O2 Joggler
4 - find the coreboot.rom on the USB stick (typically it is under /mnt)
5 - type
modprobe fh
6 - type
dd if=/mnt/coreboot.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k
7 - type
reboot

It'll boot to Seabios ROM now.

1 - attach a keyboard to USB hub and above mentioned DOS boot stick and boot to DOS usb stick
2 - cd to the joggler directory in dos
3 - type
PG8168.EXE -help
4 - make up a mac address aabbccddeeff (anything you want)
5 -

Return to O2 EFI boot ROM

1 - leave the USB stick and reboot
2 - copy your ROM of choice to root directory on usb stick and name it upgrade.rom
2 - hit the F12 (or F7) key on boot to write old O2 ROM back to Joggler.
- Pete

Auto mater