24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: 24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

Post by roobarb! »

I've got a bit of a query about all this EDO magic. I was hoping to roll it in to a SqueezePlay release at some point; I was trying it out last week, but having very little success.

The first trick is the jive_alsa binary. Does anyone here know what has been altered in the source to make it work? I've tried compiling a new version from triode's GitHub but with no success. With that (or the vanilla version from Logitech) I just get it crashing out, complaining about not being able to open the audio device. With the jive_alsa bundled in the EDO applet this doesn't happen - but then there's no audio output from any of the normal, internal audio devices either.

What I'm hoping to achieve is a system that runs out of the box on the basic OpenFrame hardware (as it does now) but has built-in support for 24/96 devices should they be present. Is this possible, or does the addition of the EDO applet preclude the use of the normal internal hardware?

I've had a darn good read, but not been able to get to the bottom of this one, and would like to know before spending too much more time on it. Ta! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Not sure about your question but just thinking aloud it might be better to do EDO as an extra installable option, maybe in the extra features section with airplay.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:Not sure about your question but just thinking aloud it might be better to do EDO as an extra installable option, maybe in the extra features section with airplay.
Aye, that might end up being the best way, but it would be nice to have it all bundled up with a bow on it. ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Algo

Post by Algo »

Hi Rhubarb,
I seem to recall that Triode's lovely hack sets all output to digital only .... no speakers .... if that is what you mean by internal hardware.

Cheers!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Algo wrote:I seem to recall that Triode's lovely hack sets all output to digital only .... no speakers .... if that is what you mean by internal hardware.
Thanks... yes, basically I was talking about the internal speakers and headphone outputs. That would explain the lack of anything once the alternative jive_alsa was installed.

Don't suppose anyone can point me to the patch used for jive_alsa to become digital-only?
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Would be tremendous if EDO could be added to your Squeezeplay Operating system , rather than having to install yourself, would be a great day indeed. And would help a lot of new audio converts to the a Joggler out in the process, hopefully you'll do this , thanks .
Algo

Post by Algo »

Hi roobarb!
Just re-read your earlier post. Doh! seems I misinterpreted.
You compile; install; system complains/crashes .. and then no audio ,,, anywhere. Yes?
Seems to me that you are halfway there, having no analogue output (a bonus on the Joggler)! :-)
Shooting at clutched straws in digital darkness here, but did you have a DAC/soundcard attached when installing?

Cheers
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:Not sure about your question but just thinking aloud it might be better to do EDO as an extra installable option, maybe in the extra features section with airplay.

+1. This seems an excellent suggestion, keeping it simple.

There is enough info on the various threads to make a basic installation guide, locked down sticky, to encourage others to take up " a Joggler-ing oh!". ;)

Any queries could then be posted as threads individual to the particular problem experienced by installers.

atb

Ronnie.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Man in a van wrote:There is enough info on the various threads to make a basic installation guide, locked down sticky, to encourage others to take up " a Joggler-ing oh!". ;)
Don't forget that there's the wiki!
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

I have also compiled a very simple step by step guide to installing Squeezeplay OS and EDO onto the Joggler for a hifi forum member who has tested out the instructions and all went well. It also helps me if I ever need to reinstall or update things. Basically you follow the instructions in the word document and cut and past the commands into putty. Links to where to get the various bits of software are also included. I based it on the previous OS so that EDO works. The only thing is it might push Joggler prices up!

Having EDO built in to OS v2 would be excellent.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Man in a van wrote:

+1. This seems an excellent suggestion, keeping it simple.

There is enough info on the various threads to make a basic installation guide, locked down sticky, to encourage others to take up " a Joggler-ing oh!". ;)

Any queries could then be posted as threads individual to the particular problem experienced by installers.

atb

Ronnie.
My suggestion was actually slightly less simple in that I was thinking of an automated installation you could initiate from the SP menus. A bit like you do for LMS and Airplay
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

dan1502 wrote:I have also compiled a very simple step by step guide to installing Squeezeplay OS and EDO onto the Joggler for a hifi forum member who has tested out the instructions and all went well. It also helps me if I ever need to reinstall or update things. Basically you follow the instructions in the word document and cut and past the commands into putty. Links to where to get the various bits of software are also included. I based it on the previous OS so that EDO works. The only thing is it might push Joggler prices up!

Having EDO built in to OS v2 would be excellent.
Could you direct me to where your guide is please to keep a copy if possible, just in case I forget how to do it in the future ?.
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

It's not on a forum as yet but if you pm me your email address I will email it to you.
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Thanks for forwarding the guide Dan appreciated very much.
Algo

Post by Algo »

Hi all!
Bump:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Interna ... to_RCA_out

Last few lines at the bottom of the page.
:)
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

It'd be interesting to try that with the asynchorous version, possibly adding a separate power jack so that you could feed a 2x5V linear power supply separately to it and the main joggler input.
Arie

Post by Arie »

Dan1502 reported problems with SqOS 2.06 and low volume from his USB DAC using EDO. I can confirm that this problem occurs with several different USB DACS, all working well with EDO under SqOS 1.09. Also, I couldn't get a Hiface USB->SPDIF interface working consistently with 2.06, whilst it does with 1.09.

Roobarb: could you perhaps put the SqOS 1.09 download back on birdslikewires, so people with problems have an escape route as long as SqOS 2.06 is not fully EDO compatible?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Sure, I'll sort that tomorrow. The kernel and OS changes were pretty significant in v2, so who knows where that issue may have snuck in from.
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

Has there been any progress in including an EDO install option on SqueezePlay OS 2?

Thanks again to roobarb for all the hard work, I upgraded my joggler to SqPlOS 2 and it's been brilliant.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

marctwo wrote:Has there been any progress in including an EDO install option on SqueezePlay OS 2?

Thanks again to roobarb for all the hard work, I upgraded my joggler to SqPlOS 2 and it's been brilliant.
I looked into doing this, but at the moment I've not been able to find out what has changed in the older binary of SqueezePlay that is used to make EDO work - and what I have found doesn't seem work when compiled.

Unless I know what's going on in the binary and can add it myself, I'm very reluctant to start piling that in to a system that I'll then be asked support-style questions about. Add to this the fact that I don't personally use it... makes it very difficult for me to answer questions on it or drum up the enthusiasm to devote time to it!

If anybody out there can tell me what needs to be altered in the source to be able to compile an EDO-capable jive binary (ideally that doesn't break normal output) then I'm all ears! :)