SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
JimbobVFR400

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I personally use the DNLA plug in for LMS to stream video to my PS3. I believe XBMC can use a DNLA server as a source.

If you're going to be using XBMC on a Pi then I believe that can also use network shares, so you could install Samba to share the connected drive as a network drive.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

I am running SqueezePlay on native OS.
Airplay has been installed and turned on.
However on my ipad2 with the latest ios7 I am not seeing airplay as an option in the control panel.
Does the airplay server need updating for ios7?
gegs

Post by gegs »

If you flick up from the bottom of the screen at any time the Airplay switch should be there.
gegs

Re: SqueezePlay OS for Joggler on external HDD

Post by gegs »

Commodore.White wrote:My Joggler has an old os and pmj on it. I'm planning on using raspberry pi squeeze box players so I thought I'd repurpose my Joggler as a media server using LMS. Doing so precludes installing SqueezePlay OS internally.

I'm quite happy with the audio quality I get plugging the Joggler into my denon hifi so no need for a DAC.

To reduce clutter I'd like to install SqueezePlay on a 1Tb powered desktop hard drive. My guess is i install as thought the drive was a USB stick. But what then? Do I simply repartition the drive by adding a FAT partition and copying my media to it having first installed LMS. What have I missed? The question has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it using search.

Is the Joggler gutsy enough to serve up video too to xbmc on my Apple TV . If so, should I be thinking of a different approach?
The Joggler can indeed serve video to an Apple TV2 - I used to run a Joggler as a NAS serving video from a USB powered external hard drive. I didn't use LMS though; I used Ubuntu and set up video folders on the hard drive as samba shares. The ATV2 can easily read samba shares and it worked very well.

I don't do it that way now because I bought a real NAS.
Commodore.White

Post by Commodore.White »

Thanks for your help. A DLNA server seems the way to go esp if NowTV boxes can receive DLNA. Perhaps I won't need xbmc. It's got to be the cheapest way to stream movies to the kids rooms.

Btw. I finished getting squeezeplayos running on a usb stick last night. I was surprised to find it couldn't connect to mysqueezebox.com this morning - is it something I've forgotten or might the Internet have bombed during the night. It was still streaming content just couldn't change stream, that's all. Plan to port it all to an external hdd today. Can't wait!
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

gegs wrote:If you flick up from the bottom of the screen at any time the Airplay switch should be there.
Indeed I have flicked many times and Airplay switch there is none.
On the joggler running squeezeplayOS updated I have reinstalled airplay, stopped it, started it so it says it should now be operating but still no luck.
Is anybody using it on an ipad with ios7.1?
fattybacon

Post by fattybacon »

Not sure whether this post should be in the 3rd party hardware/software section. Here goes.

I've got a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 which has come to the end of it's laptop use (killed by a Chromebook). These original Dell 10 inchers are pretty much the same hardware as the Joggler:

Intel Atom Z520 cpu
GMA 500 gpu
Poulsbro US15W chipset

I was wondering if roobarb's Squeezeplay OS could be tailored/rebuilt to work on this machine? I've no experience in tailoring Linux distros to make them device specific. Or should I be using something general like squeezeplug.de ?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Do you want the netbook to be a server, player or both.

If it's to function as a server then something like Vortex box would be ideal, or maybe just install Ubuntu Server and add LMS yourself.
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

An update on my Airplay problem.
I was running SqueezePlayOS from a usb stick - it was version 1.07 and airplay was not showing up on my iPad.
So I installed SqueezeplayOS internally, version 1.09 and now it works fine. Wether it was the move to internal or the updated version I dont know. I will try a usb stick again with the latest version.

On another matter - I had been having problems with BBC feeds using the iPlayer plugin with the squeezeserver on my Zyxel NAS. Basically they wouldnt play. It worked fine using the jogller built in server so something was wrong at the Zyxel end.
As usual Googling found the solution.
I quote:

Just a note to highlight an issue I found on my Zyxel NSA325 last night with the Logitech Media Server (Squeezecenter) install from Zyxel.

The files that drive transcoding aren't marked executable. In my case this was preventing a couple of Jogglers running Squeezeplay to not be able to play BBC radio via the BBC iPlayer plugin. The BBC now prefer AAC streams which squeezeplay cant play natively. They were working fine on my SB Radio which can play AAC natively. Took a while to track down (!).

You need to SSH in (assuming you're running FFP) and change the relevant file permissions

Code:
su
cd /usr/local/zy-pkgs/gui/SqueezeCenter/Bin/arm-linux/
chmod a+x *
Exit

Endquote

Thank you to whoever discovered the above - I forgot to make a note of where I found it. But it did the trick and now the BBC feeds work perfectly.
It might be useful for other Zyxel users.
And thank you to Roobarb for a fantastic job.
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Please feel free to tell me to go back and read all 52 pages, however I was hoping to do that once I got my system installed so I could expand my knowledge...

I am using the Joggler for Squeeze only, as the touch screen size / resolution is way better than the touch, and the price is 1/10.
I think the only drawback is the DAC and there's no digital out, however when I mostly plug into a stereo input I can live with that.

I see that you can install the sqOS to USB or internal memory, and that installing LMS + OS on memory is tight.

I have one player in a place with no network at all.
I take the USB drive home and sync my music collection with my NAS, so I have to keep music files on USB stick which is windows readable.

I would like to have the system as fast as possible, so assume that either LMS or OS or both on the memory is best.

Question is, what actually works? Using the tool to install the OS on the USB drive would seem to reformat it, can I still write regular files there?
can I choose where to install LMS? as i don't see the option (it's still downloading at the moment)

I currently have about 10,000 music files at 115GB size.

I am not averse to modifying the hardware if adding more memory helps.

Thanks in advance!
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

You've got a few different options. Personally I'm not a fan of using the internal memory if you are going to be running LMS on the joggler. I figure frequent writes could cause issues on the internal memory.

It is possible to install SqPOS on to a USB hard drive with some faffing. Once installed you'd use a partition manager of some sort to format the unused space to put your tunes on. This will format the disc.

Another option (and my preferred option) would be to run the OS from a USB stick, if you're not using wifi then the USB stick can be installed internally in place of the wifi card, other than 4 screws to access the internals there's no mods required for this, simply unplug the card and it's aerials.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Read and consider this option

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=1388

atb.

Ronnie
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Thanks guys. As long as the OS runs reasonably responsive I am also happy to stick it on a USB stick. I am intending to use a stick for this, not a HDD in any case.

Ronnie, that thread seems to be exactly what I want, i shall head over there.

Cheers!
pete

Post by pete »

Have a look at USB SSD drives. These are a bit more resilient than a regular USB stick. Thing too is the the SD onboard is 1Gb only and is soldered into place.

If you go wired NIC instead of wireless you can remove the wireless stick and replace it with a USB stick inside of the Joggler.

Music streaming internally, live internet or from a NAS is no issue with the Joggler.

Relating to video the Joggler does fine streaming SD (480) say from Hulu; been doing this with XBMC and old star trek shows and live SD video. It'll do good with HD 720 content live or recorded. Thing with live is that the content is mixed SD and HD (720 and 1080).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Commodore.White

SqueezePlay OS Transmission recipe

Has any one managed to follow the squeezeplayos recipe on how to install the transmission client. I might as well get the joggler to do something useful with the 20watts of power it's consuming!
mattg

Post by mattg »

Sorry quick question, where are you starting the shairport from and are you setting a specific port number? I'm looking to modify the shairport config as it isn't responding to the normal port 5000, and I need to send directly to it for TTS and Home Automation purposes.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Scrap that I found what I was looking for in /opt/squeezeplay/bin but it did help unfortunately.

So here what I was hoping to do. As it it very dificault to use squeezeplay for TTS as you can't easily save the exact position of the current song within a playlist and then go back to it after playing a notification, I thought a sneaky way would be to load up shairplay in the back ground and only pause/mute/lower the volume of squeezeplay and play the notification over the top via shairplay. Now the stumbling block it how to send the notification to shairplay using the command line. Well I found a great little util called Justeport which should do it, but everytime I try it I just get connection refused port 5000. Shairplay works fine through itunes, so I'm now stuck any thoughts?
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

martokeen wrote:Hi fellow Joggleteers,

I've got a question about custom wallpapers.
I noticed that there is an option to add wallpapers at the server end via the web setup:
Web Options \ Advanced \ Customize Device
However, having added images here, they don't show up on my Jogglers. Perhaps this is because it is expecting different resolutions destined for official products...... Has anyone else got this setting working? Or perhaps can suggest a better method?

Did you ever get this sorted?

Thanks, Dave
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Close, I was referring to the background image. (wallpaper)

I just winscp'd a file over in the end - as i don't have many, and it won't change, not really a big deal - was just curious more than anything.
Commodore.White

Re: SqueezePlay OS Transmission recipe - panic over

Commodore.White wrote:Has any one managed to follow the squeezeplayos recipe on how to install the transmission client. I might as well get the joggler to do something useful with the 20watts of power it's consuming!
I sent a PM to the guy who posted the recipe and he reproduced the issue I had. However, I just tried the original recipe again and everything worked fine. It all goes to prove something. I just don't know what that "somethng" is yet!