Replacement Joggler woes

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danjog2

Replacement Joggler woes

Post by danjog2 »

Hi

In my kitchen I have a joggler that has worked perfectly from day 1. Unfortunately I bought 2 jogglers.

I've just this week got a replacement joggler out of o2, which is nice. What is less nice is that it wouldn't play nice and connect to the o2 server to complete its setup.

I got blinky and thought, I can re-flash this sucker. I did that and now the opposite has happened, it can't get enough of that o2 server. It now does nothing else but boot up, shove up a screen saying that it is downloading updates, it gets to 100% then says, time to reboot. When it reboots it goes back to shoving up the downloading updates screen again.

Annoyingly when my wife took it back to our 02 shop, it worked perfectly

But get it back home and the update loop continues. :(

Should I just forget the whole thing and shove linux/android etc on it?

Which is the best version for a clever bedside radio etc?
dwl99

Re: Replacement Joggler woes

Post by dwl99 »

Is this with the reflashing tool or via Ubuntu?
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

It was with the Birds like wires tool - it did complete successfully too.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

The only thing I can think of is zero-filling the Joggler's internal memory & trying the flash tool again. Or perhaps using a different USB stick.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Maybe someone should do an image of a fully updated joggler, so it won't try and apply updates at all.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I got a replacement Joggler that wouldn't get past the update screen. I reflashed it, not with the single image file I've seen on the forum but by replacing each partition separately. The instructions were on the old forum. It must have been a fully updated version of the software because it didn't prompt for updates after re-imaging. The instructions for this should be in the old site archive.

For people who are having trouble with the newer method, it might be a good idea to post both methods up as a sticky; if one doesn't work, try the other. It should be a sticky because the only way to get a working Joggler from a factory fresh unit is by re-imaging it. The O2 update servers are no longer updating as far as I know.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I cannot find the links for downloading the extra-virgin partition images but once you've found them, download them to /backup & do this:

Restore Procedure

1. Boot into Ubuntu on USB stick

2. Copy your backup files into /backup from your safe place

3. Run whichever of these you need to restore, depending on which partition is damaged - most likely p2?

sudo dd if=/backup/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=1M
sudo dd if=/backup/mmcblk0p2.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p2 bs=1M
sudo dd if=/backup/mmcblk0p3.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=1M
sudo dd if=/backup/mmcblk0p4.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p4 bs=1M

If you're stuck just PM me I I'll give you dropbox links for each partition.
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

Thanks very much, I'll try that when I get back from holiday in a weeks time.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:Maybe someone should do an image of a fully updated joggler, so it won't try and apply updates at all.
The reflashing tool uses the latest version direct from OpenPeak. What I have no idea about is why there is the occasional Joggler that insists that there are updates for it to fetch. Because I don't have one that exhibits the problem, I can't troubleshoot it.

The reason it will have worked in the O2 shop is that it won't have had a network connection. What's happening is that once it gets internet access, it queries a server somewhere, which tells it that there's an update, which it attempts to apply. Why it fails (or succeeds and doesn't flag that it has) and goes into that loop is a mystery to me.

While I have no doubt that a complete reflash from an image of a working Joggler would do the trick just fine, I didn't want to get involved in the minefield of redistributing OpenPeak's software, which is why it relies on their server to grab the image.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

Thanks for the comments, O2 are having another go at replacing it.

If it's any help they've shunted Joggler Support into o2 Broadband 2nd Line Support. Obvious isn't it? :roll: