My cunning plan with Squeezeplay OS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
johnkg

Re: My cunning plan with Squeezeplay OS

Post by johnkg »

Good to know this stuff.

I generally use 'Music Folder', so that's why it updates the library. Cheers!
Commodore.White

Post by Commodore.White »

johnkg wrote:I have a load of Jogglers in the house, all running PNPIII and Squeezeplay gets a lot of use. They are all served by LMS running on a WHS 2011 Server. All good!?
Hi. I tried to download LMS for WHS 1.x and it failed to install. Which version do you use on WHS 2011? That said, I've decided to repurpose my Joggler into a SqueezePlay OS server following your experiences. I've also ordered a handful of raspberry pies upon which I intend to load picoreplayer. And 2 DAC for 3 quid...! Looks like a no brainer. Peter
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

For LMS on on WHS2011 you just need to install the standard Windows version on the Desktop (for example) there is no server WHS 2011 version of LMS.

atb

Ronnie
Commodore.White

Outstanding! I got Squeezeplayos going on a usb stick so, flushed with success, decided to install it on a 40gb portable drive as described above. It worked a treat so I decided to install SSH and LMS. It took a while but completely unattended so no sweat.

I didn't need any of that "gparted" nonsense. Just plugged the drive into my windows 7 lappy and the fired up the computer manager storage snap-in. I quickly formatted the unallocated space as an ntfs partition then piled all my music and audio books into it. It works like a charm having logged in using ssh and mounted the media partition.

I have a couple of problems though: 1) I can't play WMA or flac media, and 2) all my Internet radio stations have vanished. Oh! Three problems!! One of my albums is sampled too fast and won't play.

I've yet to build my picoreplayers, until I have I can't test whether the system will stream to other devices. I'll let you know how I get on.

I just LOVE this stuff. I was going to sell my joggler but squeezeplayos has breathed life new into it. Well done everyone.
Commodore.White

Man in a van wrote:For LMS on on WHS2011 you just need to install the standard Windows version on the Desktop (for example) there is no server WHS 2011 version of LMS
Thanks mate. Since squeezeplayos is running well now on my joggler I've lost the incentive to keep my power-hungry server on just so I can stream music. I might have to revert it I want video too - well see. Thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Commodore.White wrote:

I have a couple of problems though: 1) I can't play WMA or flac media, and 2) all my Internet radio stations have vanished. Oh! Three problems!! One of my albums is sampled too fast and won't play.
1) To play WMA you'll need to enable the Play WMA plug in on the LMS Web interface. Navigate to jogglerIP:9000 on a browser on your PC (for example 192.168.1.40:9000) and click settings in the bottom right corner, then choose the plug in tab. It works very well as long as your WMA files aren't DRM protected. FLAC files should just work so not sure what's happening there.

2) I presume the radio stations were saved as favourites when using the stick? I'd suggest signing up to mysqueezebox.com and entering your login details in LMS. That way you can save them to the cloud and copy them back. Alternatively you can export your favourites on the old system as an OPML file and then import them back. All done in the Web interface. I can do some more detailed instructions if my thoughts are correct.

3) what format is the file in question? Do you know the bit rate and depth for the files concerned. I've not had anything similar but all my files are 16/44,100 standard CD rips.
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

As a long time SB fan, I have just discovered the wonders of the Joggler for this purpose.

I would like to do exactly what you're discussing here, although with a 128GB USB stick a HDD should not be necessary.

I installed spOS to my "test" stick, and get everything working fine using my NAS LMS.

I then took the stick out and put it in my windows 7 PC, where I see it with 31MB boot partition and 922MB primary.
however I cannot create a partition on the unallocated space..
17-12-2013 13-52-04.jpg
any ideas?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

wcndave wrote:As a long time SB fan, I have just discovered the wonders of the Joggler for this purpose.

I would like to do exactly what you're discussing here, although with a 128GB USB stick a HDD should not be necessary.

I installed spOS to my "test" stick, and get everything working fine using my NAS LMS.

I then took the stick out and put it in my windows 7 PC, where I see it with 31MB boot partition and 922MB primary.
however I cannot create a partition on the unallocated space..
17-12-2013 13-52-04.jpg
any ideas?
fat32 is the answer 8-)

atb

Ronnie
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Erm... FAT32 stops one being able to go over a certain size Disk, however i am not at that size, so I don't quite understand the answer.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

When I tried this I used a 1TB USB hard disk,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimlin ... +disk+1+tb

which I formatted to Fat 32 using,

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm,

I then installed the OS on to the hard disk following the instructions in the thread.

Try doing this with your "test" stick and windows should 'see' all the partitions.

Maybe!!!!

Give it a try.

atb

Ronnie.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Or maybe just give it a drive letter?
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Hi, I formatted this unallocated space using GParted, and i get something that looks more positive.
17-12-2013 17-20-24.jpg
However when I select change drive letters (or format) I get this:
17-12-2013 17-19-46.jpg
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

wcndave wrote:However when I select change drive letters (or format) I get this:
17-12-2013 17-19-46.jpg
Smells like something Windowsy to me. You could try using the GPartEd Live CD?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Exactly where I went next. I wiped the entire stick with Gparted, and made it a FAT 32, then installed sqOS using disk imager and no luck. exactly the same. I will try to do the same thing but create 2 volumes using gparted. then install the OS to only one of them.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

wcndave wrote:Exactly where I went next. I wiped the entire stick with Gparted, and made it a FAT 32, then installed sqOS using disk imager and no luck. exactly the same. I will try to do the same thing but create 2 volumes using gparted. then install the OS to only one of them.
Disc imager will destroy any partitions and formats know the stick anyway.

Once you've used it to flash the img file you should turn use Gparted to create your FAT32 partition in the unallocated space.
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

No go either, created two primary partitions using gparted as FAT32 and cannot get to the second one in windows.
If I install the OS to memory, is there anything i can do to release some space? eg delete the original system or something?
I really don't want to use an external drive if I can help it.

Thanks, Dave
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

wcndave wrote:No go either, created two primary partitions using gparted as FAT32 and cannot get to the second one in windows.
If I install the OS to memory, is there anything i can do to release some space? eg delete the original system or something?
I really don't want to use an external drive if I can help it.

Thanks, Dave
Don't worry about using gparted until after you've flashed the img file. Once you've done that boot into the live gparted disc and insert the USB stick and use gparted to create the FAT32 partition. Once you're back in Windows you then may need to assign a drive letter in disc management although I suspect that shouldn't be necessary.
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

I flashed the file to internal memory so I can reuse the stick. I couldn't find any way to put the os on the stick and then create an accessible partition on the stick.

Add long as my library fits that will be ok, however I notice now I moved the joggler to my workshop that without network no ip is assigned and lms doesn't work.

Just thinking about the original poster's requirement, it's there any way for this to work offline?
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

ok, i found that adding static lines to /etc/network/interfaces seems to work, and it persists on boot which is good!

I tried an external drive just for laughs, cos it has all my music on it and I wanted to see if internal memory would get full.
It is one of those portable wallet disks, and the USB cable is 10cm, there is no power source.

The light on the HDD comes on, however it does not appear under /media/usb like the stick. Is there something else i need to do?
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

This time FAT32 was the answer! All sorted. Everything else is for other threads - cheers!