You Tube App

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
spoyser

You Tube App

Post by spoyser »

Does anyone know what the problem with the You Tube app is, I was thinking of decompiling it and seeing if it could be fixed but it would be useful to know what is causing the problem in the first place.
yugo

Re: You Tube App

Post by yugo »

What do you mean?
I think there was an issue with certain videos because you needed to be signed in to bypass age restrictions
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

I have done a google search on the error "Selected video cannot be played. It may be removed or restricted" and there is only one hit and it is on this forum.

That and the poor grammar of the error suggest to me that it is the joggler app generating this error not YouTube, also many of the videos failing are definately not age restricted or removed as I can watch them on my PC.

I assume the app for whatever reason is not able to decode the video, codec not available perhaps(?), and therefore throwing up the only error message it has.

Anyone?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I think I read on the old forum that it was something to do with adverts. Either way, it cannot be fixed.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

dwl99 wrote:I think I read on the old forum that it was something to do with adverts. Either way, it cannot be fixed.
Is that a fact or opinion?

Give that the app can easily be decompiled, the YouTube API is available, and there are already loads of SWF YouTube players available surely it should be possible to "Fix" it?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

neither - a dim memory :-)
yugo

Post by yugo »

Perhaps it is just out of date. Do you have an example of a video that wont play?
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Almost all the ones on the featured tab.
gegs

Post by gegs »

dwl99 wrote:neither - a dim memory :-)
I also read on the old forum that when Youtube started running ads it screwed up the Joggler app. I don't know if this is really the reason it now sucks but it's a pity nonetheless; it was the Joggler app most used by my kids (until it became unusable).

The Youtube plugin for XBMC is great but it's not as easy to access and use as the Joggler app was.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

gegs

Post by gegs »

spoyser wrote:@gegs

Just for your kids :D

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=187
Myself and my kids thank you very much. The app is wonderful; much better than the old Joggler one.
I've made a donation to your Paypal account.