Jogglers forum only Openframe 1.0 sale

Want to buy a Joggler or selling one? Post your details here.
pete

Jogglers forum only Openframe 1.0 sale

Post by pete »

I am looking to sell some new Openframe 1.0 devices here on the forum.

They can be considered the little brother of the Openframe 2.0 / 7 devices.

These devices resemble the Joggler but have a few differences in hardware.

You can though run the current Joggler firmware / PnPIII et al on them.

Differences are:

1 - Zif connector / PATA port is already on the motherboard - I have mine using 16Gb SSD cards which are tiny and will fit along side of the wireless USB stick.

2 - DECT chip

3 - Zigbee chip.

4 - microphone built in

5 - antennas for Zigbee / or / DECT connected

I would want to ship the lot of the first sale all at once to the UK. It will be difficult to ship them individually.

Please note the a percentage of profits made would be for support of this forum.

That is the reason that they will only be offered here for sale.

Looking for suggestions about the best methodology of doing this group UK purchase?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jimeney

Re: Jogglers forum only Openframe 1.0 sale

Post by jimeney »

I would certainly be interested in taking a couple - how much are you asking for each unit?
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'm not sure if the DECT capability is useful to European users, due to the different US implementation of DECT, but the Zigbee functionality would be great for anyone wanting to use one as a home automation controller.
Last edited by gegs on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

Not sure on the price yet; hence this post.

Yup; I'm guessing that these (DECT part) were made to be implemented in a few markets globally as the testing configurations for DECT are with a number of international telcos (EU, UK, Latin America, US, and Pacific Rim). This would indeed make it a nice skype phone.

The Zigbee pieces are related to energy monitoring and usage.

The O2 Joggler implementation in the UK was the tip of the iceberg relating to what Openframe's direction was relating to their table top tablet; all based though on the Openpeak multipurpose/multifunctional OS.

This person was involved a bit in the implementation and then marketing of Openpeak a few years back....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sculley
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I shouldn't, but I'd probably want one of these if you manage to get things sorted out - just for the sake of completeness!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

roobarb!,

You already have one by default (forgot to mention this).

Writing to buzz earlier I was looking for a "volunteer" who would take shipment of a box o Openframe 1.0's to mail out over there in the UK.

That and the "volunteer" would have to box them up somehow? I mean I could send flat small boxes and include them with the group.

This would maybe keep the price down. I am not sure what domestic UK shipping prices are.
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Pete, how many units are you planning on shipping over? I'm thinking in terms of storage space while waiting to post out. Postage here is quite variable depending on the service used. Royal mail with compensation is quite pricey but does cover loss and damage in transit (which i've had to claim in the past).
pete

Post by pete »

As many as requested/purchased.

I am not familiar with the UK domestic shipping rates.

What I have was shipped to me in bulk. Each of the Openframe 1.0 devices are wrapped in bubble tape and the Openpeak power supplies (new) are in the little black boxes.

I can get free little boxes here from the USPS service; but they have print and writing on them all saying USPS. They are flat and ready to assemble. I could ship those boxes in bulk with the Openframe 1.0's.

Ideally the UK purchaser would pay the shipping costs which would include the bulk shipping to there. The more the cheaper at once shipped there.

Is there a standard postage rate for all of the UK?
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Pete, I'll be honest with you and say I'd love to help you and fellow jogglerers out. The only thing that's stopping me from bounding is the issue of postage. I know that people use all sorts of posting methods but I only ever use Royal Mail as it really is the most convenient for me in all respects. I think there are people who would be unhappy to pay Royal Mail postage costs (I'm unsure of what it is these days as it all depends on size of package and weight). If this wasn't an obstacle I would post these out for you.

Feedback on postage from anyone interested in one of these would be really useful.
pete

Post by pete »

I didn't know there was multiple means of mail delivery there in the UK. It would be easier just to use one service and have one price than a variety.

Here we have the US Postal service for mail. Aside the main delivery companies are UPS, FedEx, DHL, TnT, and probably a few more.

Most inexpensive methodology here is the USPS. The rest are a bit higher; depending.
- Pete

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Providing the Openframe's would fall within Royal Mail's definition of 'Medium Parcel' the postage cost would be:

0–1kg £5.20 For second class service.
0–1kg £5.65 For first class service.

I don't have an issue with this. Royal Mail get the job done for the most part.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Am I missing the point? Surely the issue is covering the initial postage from the US and then recovering that (plus the UK postage) from whoever would like to purchase one.

Any idea how much it would cost to post them to the UK? Even a sliding scale (10 units costs $??, 20 units costs $??...). Without knowing how much we'd have to pay for postage, it's difficult to volunteer to help.

My understanding would be that each unit cost = US postage + Pete's price + UK postage to eventual buyers (+ potential import duty - edited in lieu of roobarb's post below)

Would you want:
1) someone to pay the cost of postage + cost of units up front, or
2) only the US postage cost covered initially, then the sale price sent to you once the UK part of the transaction is complete.

The first option might be beyond most people's budget but is obviously safer for you. The second option might have more willing volunteers.

Does USPS provide insurance cover for loss or damages?
Last edited by gegs on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote:roobarb!,

You already have one by default (forgot to mention this).

Writing to buzz earlier I was looking for a "volunteer" who would take shipment of a box o Openframe 1.0's to mail out over there in the UK.

That and the "volunteer" would have to box them up somehow? I mean I could send flat small boxes and include them with the group.

This would maybe keep the price down. I am not sure what domestic UK shipping prices are.
That's very kind - thanks, pete!

Do you have a ballpark figure of how many you're expecting? One possibility would be to take orders and payments up to a fixed date, then ship that as a single package. I could probably handle a few here, although more than 10 or 20 would probably land me in trouble!

Also, there's the issue of import duty on these - whoever they're shipped to, depending on how they're declared, may be hit with import tax. I still have one duty dispute going on with FedEx (who seem to have read only half of the paperwork).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

The least amount relating to shipping would be for US to UK.

Bulk & gift (really) wrapped for say 10 of them would be around $50 USD or 32 UK.

32/10= 3.20 UK each plus UK Royal Postage + 5.65 UK = 8.85 UK Postage prepaid

Now lets add price - best guess....not hard set

35 UK + 9 UK = 44 UK Total including shipping prepaid.
- Pete

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

It might be more cost-effective for buyers to have units posted straight to them from the US, thereby cutting out the additional UK postage cost. If the US postage for a single item is less than 5 dollars (50 dollars divided by 10 units for bulk postage) plus the dollar equivalent of roughly GBP 5.50 (the approximate UK postage amount), it might be cheaper to send them individually. There would also be less likelihood of being hit with import duty (but not a certainty).

I realise that this would create more of a headache for you Pete and is a scenario you'd rather avoid.

What price would you like to sell each unit for? I'd definitely be interested if the price was right, however they get here.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Hi Pete, you were obviously posting when I wrote my last post, answering some of my questions in the process. Would the USPS price for single items be much less than the US equivalent of GBP 8.85 ?

It would be good to have a virtual "show of hands" to see what interest there is for these among forum members. If we only want 5 or 6 it might be better to post them individually.
pete

Post by pete »

US to UK prices are a one size fits all until it gets to be a large box. Thinking more than 20 USD but less than 50.

I will test out PayPal and USPS shipping estimated rates via USPS today.

You can do it all online and even print label.
- Pete

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

pete wrote:US to UK prices are a one size fits all until it gets to be a large box. Thinking more than 20 USD but less than 50.
Gulp!
pete

Post by pete »

I really prefer to type using my laptop than the tablet.

;)

Maybe its just me & my old age.
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Pete, what do these machines look like?