Looking for Joggler in USA

Want to buy a Joggler or selling one? Post your details here.
trs79

Looking for Joggler in USA

Post by trs79 »

Hello, I'm looking to by my first Joggler but I live in the USA. Does anyone happen to live in the US and is selling? Or does anyone know of a fairly cheap shipping option to the US? Thanks.
roobarb!

Re: Looking for Joggler in USA

Post by roobarb! »

You could look for an OpenFrame 2 on eBay. If you want to do some hacking / run sqpOS (or any of the other Linux distros) then someone has been selling some on eBay. They're like the Joggler, but a bit bigger and with more internal storage.

That's one option!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

It's ridiculous how cheaply the OpenFrame is going for on eBay in the US. If you buy one, I'm sure you won't regret it.
trs79

Post by trs79 »

Interesting, thanks for the heads up on the OpenFrame. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it anywhere on the US ebay, I've tried searching for "openpeak openframe", and even "telio" but no luck. Am I missing something? Thanks!
pete

Post by pete »

Many of the Open Frame 2's were utilized to beta test some utility / HVAC monitoring. Today these are bricks and being tossed as most folks assume they are disfunctional. I purchased one of these for $5 a few months back.

There was a push a while back for a DECT table tablet like phone hub. There are a bunch of these around now considered bricks and most likely most folks are tossing these as they are pretty worthless today.

Somewhere out there though there are new ones that were never sold just sitting in some warehouse today

The above noted there are also OpenPeak labeled Jogglers out there which sit somewhere between the large Openframe device with speakers and the O2 Joggler. These have Zigbee or DECT chips in them and functioned similiarly.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
trs79

Post by trs79 »

@pete_c: Thanks for the information, I've been reading some of your other posts about your experience with the openframe devices. Sounds like my best bet is to keep checking ebay, any advice on how to search for it? I tried a dozen or so queries. Maybe the openframe just isn't listed currently.
pete

Post by pete »

I haven't seen any lately......yup just search on joggler, openpeak and openframe...

I was just recently was able to open one up without trashing the case.

The other Openframe 2 experiment is truely now an open frame touchscreen as all that remains is the insides of it; working well though.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

trs79 wrote:Interesting, thanks for the heads up on the OpenFrame. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it anywhere on the US ebay, I've tried searching for "openpeak openframe", and even "telio" but no luck. Am I missing something? Thanks!
That's a bummer! There were definitely units on there last week. They came up on the "international sellers" bit when I did a search for "Joggler". Although the price of the unit was very reasonable, the postage to the UK was 49 dollars which made it much less of a bargain.

Keep looking in case the seller has any more and relists them.
pete

Post by pete »

I am wondering if they ever did make the web cam interface for these and if they are sitting in some warehouse.

One batch was being sold as a "hotel" butler type kiosk tablet of sorts with a DECT phone system plus video to vendors type stuff to be installed in the check in lounges of hotels. IE: it was a typical (atypical) SIP phone on steroids with a touch screen interface.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

trs79 wrote:Interesting, thanks for the heads up on the OpenFrame. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it anywhere on the US ebay, I've tried searching for "openpeak openframe", and even "telio" but no luck. Am I missing something? Thanks!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OpenPeak-OP ... 20d43d579d
trs79

Post by trs79 »

Ah there it is, thanks! Looks like it was just newly listed. Yeah shipping can be prohibitive, I found one joggler for sale in the uk that had $54 for shipping to the US.
pete_c wrote:I am wondering if they ever did make the web cam interface for these and if they are sitting in some warehouse.

One batch was being sold as a "hotel" butler type kiosk tablet of sorts with a DECT phone system plus video to vendors type stuff to be installed in the check in lounges of hotels. IE: it was a typical (atypical) SIP phone on steroids with a touch screen interface.
Interesting, I wonder if the openframe ever took off as a popular kiosk device, or maybe tablets took over instead?
pete

Post by pete »

I believe it started to; then .....

Do a google search on the press releases relating to Openframe / Openpeak devices from a few years ago.

The marketing strategies were a bit different from tablet stuff today.

Today I do leave my tablet mostly charging in its cradle. Occasionally though now take it with me if I have to wait anywhere for a period of time and I want to surf or whatever (typically blue tooth tether it to my phone or just use their free hotspot).

The Kiosk marketing was like a touch screen do what sitting in some booth in a hotel doing much of the concierge type services. The HVAC energy hub was just that. A thermostat that you can tabletop anywhere in the house. The DECT Phone hub was also just a tabletop "do what" on steroids...

The O2 Joggler though was much more like a portable tablet of sorts providing similiar features on a table top tablet.

Most recently just set up an android tablet for my sister in law. Two years ago I had set up her laptop such that she could connect wirelessly anywhere in the house and be away from her desktop in her house office.

Now she has mostly just been using her Android tablet and not using the wireless laptop much these days.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Trs79,

Did you play with your new Openframe 2 Openpeak device yet? I am curious here. Lately here playing with my network switches moving from non managed to managed Gb switches and I start to implement my migration to HD IP outdoor cams...neat stuff...pushing the network a bit though ...
- Pete

Auto mater
trs79

Post by trs79 »

@pete_c:
I've been meaning to update this post, thanks for the interest. I did get an OpenFrame 2 device on eBay, and so far am loving it! I can't believe the quality and detail that went into the packaging, that alone probably cost half as much as I paid for it.

I've put the Joggler Linux Mint distro on it, and have been playing with XBMC and SqueezePlayer. XBMC is nice, but with all the skins I tried, it seems the buttons are smallish for touching. I'm actually planning on creating my own uPNP controller and client with GLES based graphics and large buttons for touch. Perhaps if anyone else is interested I'll post the program here when it's done.

Thanks for the heads up about the OpenFrame 2! I've noticed the screen gets pretty hot after some use, but I guess that's normal? The cpu core temp hasn't really gone over 62C from what I've seen. Sounds like you are doing some fun things with IP cameras. If I had the money, I'd love to do the same thing, maybe someday :)
pete

Post by pete »

Great news!

The Openframe 2 box you have has a passive metal heatsink literally the size of the motherboard. There is more stuff though to keep cool on it. I currently shut off the displays remotely on all of the Openpeak devices. Cools it off a bit. You can also just dim the screen when not using it. I have not yet tried the WOL stuff with a wired Openframe2. I am doing that with other touchscreens today (shutting them down the using WOL to wake them during the day or whenever). The wireless card also gets a bit warm. It does function way better than the USB connected wireless card in the Joggler. You can too replace the antennas on the minipci card with probably netbook style wlan antennas.

The DECT versions of the motherboard are a bit different than the Zigbee versions of it.

This would be a nice little skype box / voip box using the DECT stuff in it...(and adding video would be icing on the cake).

The mini pcie wireless card is a BCM943225HMB with an FCC ID: QDS-BRCM1048 combo blue tooth and wireless. That said I can see the blue tooth part of it but cannot get it to work so far playing around with it. No problems at all with the wireless piece to the card.

The audio chip is an IDT 92HD75B2X3. I have no problems with getting it to work in Linux but having issues with wintel on it.

Last little experiment was trying an IDE mini pcie ssd (not an msata ssd card) card on it. It doesn't work.

I get really nice video with 1080 streaming (no dropping any frames now) with XBMC HD streaming from NAS and live TV via MythTV to XBMC using the Broadcom BCM970015 decoder card. (tested XBMC on the 2Gb flash memory built into it). It also works well now streaming my HD 720 / 1080 IP cams. (still playing with these though). The 2 GB internal flash is faster than the 1Gb O2 Joggler flash. That said though it fills up right away running XBMC (you could remote the DB stuff though in XBMC using one DB for all of the XBMC boxes). I am not sure though doing a bunch of RW's to said flash chip (soldered in place). That is where using a pata ZIF or SD card might be better.
I've put the Joggler Linux Mint distro on it, and have been playing with XBMC and SqueezePlayer. XBMC is nice, but with all the skins I tried, it seems the buttons are smallish for touching. I'm actually planning on creating my own uPNP controller and client with GLES based graphics and large buttons for touch. Perhaps if anyone else is interested I'll post the program here when it's done.
I would be interested in seeing what you come up with. Large buttons and simple graphics would be nice. Currently my wife mostly uses the Omnitouch screens I have in the house as she is literally afraid of "breaking" the house touching my kludgy looking touch screens. (she doesn't have any issues though with the larger 17" plus touchscreens with very large buttons on it). Personally though I am really bad with colors and I always try to fit as many buttons with functions on one screen as possible.

Leonardo did some really nice screens for his wireless home automation stuff . Check it out here:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=10&t=955
- Pete

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

trs79 wrote:@pete_c:
I've been meaning to update this post, thanks for the interest. I did get an OpenFrame 2 device on eBay, and so far am loving it! I can't believe the quality and detail that went into the packaging, that alone probably cost half as much as I paid for it.
Great! I'm glad you got one. Welcome to the forum, it's a very cool (and increasingly international) place to hang out. It sounds like you might be another pete_c in the making. I read his posts avidly but rarely have a clue how to emulate his projects. It's serious man-stuff :D
pete

Post by pete »

The forum here is "chock full" of Joggler information (really much more to come); primo in the world right now as far as I know ....

Personally for me its really just tinkering......and there's a great collection of folks on the forum; IE: we are like all related in a digital sense.....

Sometimes here its more tinkering than using stuff.....other stuff its just using and never tinkering with....
- Pete

Auto mater
james920

Post by james920 »

yah i'm looking for it ?? :?:
pete

Post by pete »

I have detailed how to take the Openframe 2 apart without the special tool below. Note that you have to be really careful not to crack the screen as it just lifts out to expose the rest of the Openframe assembly. It is nowhere as easy to open this device as it is to open the Joggler device.

The heat sink is one large piece of metal which cover the entire motherboard and CPUs.

The insides are similar to the Joggler except that there is a soldered EFI boot chip instead of a socketed one. The Openframe 2 has two Gb of space versus the 1 Gb on the Joggler. I do have a running 2 Gb version of XBMC on one. That and I have removed the combo bluetooth and wireless mini pcie card and used a Broadcom Crystal HD card for great HD streaming live and recorded video. Other than testing the OpenPeak DECT phone with another DECT phone system's functionality I have not to date done anything with the SIP / DECT phone stuff that is build in.
- Pete

Auto mater