BBC iPlayer/Live for stock OS - FIXED JERKY PLAYBACK

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
spoyser

Re: BBC iPlayer/Live for stock OS - FIXED JERKY PLAYBACK

Post by spoyser »

Have you made the scripts executable?

If not you need to telnet in and navigate to the /media/iPlayer directory and perform these 2 commands:

chmod +x app.cgi
chmod +x iPlayer.cgi
mo55y

Post by mo55y »

thanks.....works great now

Brilliant job this...v impressed :D
alindl

Post by alindl »

Hiya,

Just for discussion really but you can run some commands, kill tango and start your app in fullscreen like this, problem is that it removes the home button when you kill tango though so there's no way to exit it... not ideal but maybe somebody can come up with a way around it or put together a fullscreen iplayer swf with an exit button?

create a file called "start" in the iplayer folder and add this to it:

#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:./:/lib/intel:/openpeak/tango/common_libs
export KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK=TRUE
export DISPLAY=:0.0
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
tangopid=`ps | grep "tango.*opphone" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
operapid=`ps | grep "operamobile" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
/bin/busybox kill -STOP $tangopid
/bin/busybox kill -STOP $operapid
cd /openpeak/tango/
./tango /media/iPlayer/main.swf
kill -9 $tangopid
kill -9 $operapid

then remove your line from appshop/applications.xml and add one to /openpeak/gui/o2-applications.xml like this:

<app static="1" id="iPlayer" loc="/media/iPlayer/" icon="icon.swf" ext="1" app="/media/iPlayer/start"/>
rsjackson

Post by rsjackson »

Can you please tell me if I can setup this iplayer app on a joggler already running the iplayer app loaded via plug and pimp. What if anything do I need to do if this is not the case in order to try this newer development which seems to be getting such good reports
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Yes you can install both at the same time, although tbh the one that installs with pnp suffers from stuttering and jerky playback so I would recommend uninstalling that one anyway.
rsjackson

Post by rsjackson »

spoyser wrote:Yes you can install both at the same time, although tbh the one that installs with pnp suffers from stuttering and jerky playback so I would recommend uninstalling that one anyway.
okay many thanks, just the clarity I wanted.
rsjackson

Post by rsjackson »

Tried to follow these instructions and install this

wget ftp://aero.exotica.org.uk/pub/mirrors/e ... Player.tgz
tar xvf iPlayer.tgz
rm iPlayer.tgz
chmod +x app.cgi

but the tar extract runs , and no app.cgi comes out, also tried the

wget http://files.exotica.org.uk/?file=joggl ... Player.tgz

but that fails can you help.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

You are following the old installation guide.

The new guide is available here:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=129

Although the only difference in the installation is that there is no longer a app.cgi file so you don't need to the the chmod +x app.cgi line!

The chmod +x iPlayer.cgi IS still necessary.

Hope that helps :-)
rsjackson

Post by rsjackson »

spoyser wrote:You are following the old installation guide.

The new guide is available here:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=129

Although the only difference in the installation is that there is no longer a app.cgi file so you don't need to the the chmod +x app.cgi line!

The chmod +x iPlayer.cgi IS still necessary.

Hope that helps :-)

okay thanks got it working now
wolverine2031

Post by wolverine2031 »

Just found this thread after having time off and always been a avid viewer of the group but never a member... so after many months of my joggler being stuck in O2 screen thought i would come by for assistance, so posted a new topic of my joggler stuck in boot up, which can be found under the general software thread if people wish to pop by there.

Ok I am a full time dog handler and was wondering does the joggler have bbc iplayer pre installed (daft question) mine's been faulty for so long I have for got....lol..

Would think looking at the title of the thread the iplayer was standard stock ;)

Also if it does how do I upgrade to latest iplayer.... is it via usb stick, and if i can get it working by using usb stick I am thinking i may not be able to upgrade it since it would mean me leaving the external usb stick in for it to operate it. So would I have to connect a double usb port extender etc to hit so i can but with external usb flash, and then put another usb in to upgrade the content.

Hope I explained that well...

I must have got a joggler that is pretty crap as it was always intermittent :( Do i just bin it if not and buy a cheap android tablet :(
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Reflash with roobarb's firmware v30300 and then install PnP III.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Noooo. Don't bin it.

Iplayer isn't available on the original operating system but you can get it on a joggler by loading either an entirely different operating system or a pimped up version of the stock operating system. The various operating systems you can try are listed here http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64 and include running android if you prefer.

As o2 no longer support the joggler you really need to install something else to get the best use out of it but if you like the operating system then PNP III (the pimped up version of the stock OS which has a preloaded working iplayer app) might be for you.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

wolverine2031 wrote:Do i just bin it if not and buy a cheap android tablet :(
Rule Number 1 (I think) for the forum:

NEVER BIN A JOGGLER

If anybody here is thinking about popping even a broken Joggler in the bin, I will pay the postage to have it sent to me and used for spares for others. There will come a time when they won't be as easy to find as they are today - and every one that goes to landfill means that others can't be repaired.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)