Joggler unable to run many OS images

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Chonker

Joggler unable to run many OS images

Post by Chonker »

Hello,

I'm new to the world of jogglers having just traded one for a netbook with a friend. Seems like a really nice piece of kit hamstrung by a poor operating system.

I've been trying to run some of the custom linux OS's available but my Joggler seems very selective about what it will run.

Not working for me are:
Images from http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/. I have tried JoliOS, Xubuntu both quantal and precise.
XMBC from http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138842 v0.9

When booting with my memory stick written with these distros, I get the GNU GRUB screen, which shows the correct distribution and then a blank screen (I have left it a considerable time in case it was loading in the background.).

I am however able to run the ubuntu image from http://www.stephenford.org/joggler/

I'm using the win32 disc imager to write them to the memory stick.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or the difference between these distributions that might be causing my problem? Am I missing something obvious?
pete

Re: Joggler unable to run many OS images

Post by pete »

Could be just your memory stick. Try another program to write to the memory stick. I have also seen images larger than the average 4Gb memory stick. I use a variety of programs for Windows when writing the stick in windows. One of my favorites is USB Image Tool which you can find here:

http://www.alexpage.de/
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Chonker

Post by Chonker »

I have tried a couple of different sticks. I actually bought a brand new one as part of my trouble shooting but no joy. It seems to me that it can't be the stick as I can run that one distribution's image okay.

I gave that image writing software a go, but same deal
pete

Post by pete »

For the time forget the USB stick and try to upgrade FW to the flash chip or replace it doing a hot swap then rewrite.

Can you rewrite the base Joggler OS back to your Joggler?

If you can boot and get to it via Telet or SSH try to rewrite the flash chip from scratch using one of the documented OS firmware upgrades posted by Roobarb.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Chonker

Post by Chonker »

I had tried the joggler reflash image from birdslikewires to update to openpeak 30300 but the reflasher also doesn't seem to load correctly. Pardon my ignorance but are these the ones by Roobarb? <edit> oops, I see in the sticky at the top that they are :oops:

My joggler still has the o2 OS on it, I'll see if I can telnet/ssh into that.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

The only image writer that worked for me was Win32 disk imager version 0.3 after first running it through the hp utility tool, I had the same issue as you until I read a post about version 0.3 .
Also a full format not a quick one.
Now works first time every time for me :-)
Good luck
Happy Joggling
Chonker

Post by Chonker »

I've been struggling to find where to download any version other than v0.6 and v0.7 of the win32 disk imager tool (as I had that I must use v0.1). Is the HP tool you mention this one? http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-St ... 74082.html

The reflasher gets to this point and gets stuck.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thats the one :-)
The version 0.3 tool is there somewhere as I got it again last week, took a bit of Googling mind, have another look and if you cant find it ill dig it out later for you.
Happy Joggling
sijones

Post by sijones »

Hi Chonker,

Your picture shows exactly what I experienced whilst using roobarb's (excellent) reflashing tool to install Squeezeplay OS on my second Joggler. It stalled at the exact same point that you've photographed. I tried several USB sticks, prepared with Win32 Disk Imager. Those sticks had worked for flashing images on my other Joggler, so I was inclined to trust them.

I was able to install PnPIII on Joggler #2, using the self-same sticks, which was weird.

There was a post from ahulg247 back in March 2012 with the same problem of stalling at the point you show, but I don't think he ever got a solution.

Eventually, in an uncharacteristic display of lateral thinking, I used roobarb's reflasher to install Squeezeplay OS on my first Joggler (which installed like a charm, straight away, no fuss - using one of the sticks that wouldn't work with Joggler #2!). I then installed PnPIII on Joggler #2, and am now using both happily.

So (not having the experience to really know what was going on) I could only conclude that Joggler #2 was fussy and wouldn't accept certain flashes that worked perfectly well on a different Joggler, from a USB stick that was also proven. Sorry, I'm sure that's not something you want to hear...

[On the other hand, if like me you have a fussy Joggler, why not give PnPIII a go? That installed OK for me on both Jogglers. Though you did say you wanted a Linux OS...]
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you might have some efi/firmware corruption if grub/kernel is crashing if you can boot into original OS you could rewrite it with a know working efi.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Try reflashing with the original O2 image to see if that works. I've had varying luck installing other images with the reflashing tool but I think this is a stick related problem. Reflashing with the O2 image has always worked though.

Installing the Openpeak 30300 image would be great because of the extra space available for media, but if you can reflash the O2 image then it might eliminate some things as the source of the problem.

I know it's a stupid question, but have you added the image file (.img.gz) and the MD5 (.img.gz.md5) to the reflash directory of the USB stick after writing the reflash image? Alternative images other than the O2 one require the MD5.
Chonker

Post by Chonker »

I can still get into the O2 OS but i'm not sure how to re-write the efi.

Out of interested what does efi stand for in this context? To me it means electronic fuel injection :D
pete

Post by pete »

Have a look here for EFI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Ex ... _Interface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_System_partition

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/EFI

I would purchase a new flash chip before playing with the flash chip. They are inexpensive to purchase and would be worth your time and effort to have a spare one. (or a second Joggler would do)

Its easy to rewrite the EFI boot flash. But if you mess it up then you will brick your Joggler (but not really though if you have a spare chip)

Here a bit into automobiles; current newest have been hacked and modded a bit in car terms. (low on the WAF)
- Pete

Auto mater
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi there
sijones wrote:Hi Chonker,

[On the other hand, if like me you have a fussy Joggler, why not give PnPIII a go? That installed OK for me on both Jogglers. Though you did say you wanted a Linux OS...]
I have a Joggler which may be behaving similarly to yours ... although I have previously installed PnP III via Roobarb's rlashing script it now fails using that method, using several pendrives all of which worked previously.

Can I ask which approach you used to put PnP III on your Joggler - the O2 flashing tool, or something else?

Cheers, Jon N
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Think I've just proved ( to myself anyway :-D) that doing other stuff on your pc whilst writing an image to a stick is not good for making a bootable stick for the joggler.
I posted about this a while ago , about what I do to successfully make a bootable image in windows , briefly

1: Use hp utilities and do a full format of your stick,
2 : Download your chosen os and unzip to your desktop(lazy way)make sure it ends in. Img
3 : Use win32 disk imager 0.3 (I have a copy of this if anyone wants it ) to write your image.
4: While your image is writing STEP AWAY FROM YOUR PC. :-)
5 : Use safely add/ remove before taking your stick out.

Well last night I went against my advice above in step 4 and lo and behold the image wouldnt boot, but just before this I had written another image not touching my PC and this boots fine .
I know not very scientific but this is a behavior I have also observed before ;
My PC is a low powered atom device so this might have a bearing also.
Happy Joggling
sijones

Post by sijones »

jkn wrote:I have a Joggler which may be behaving similarly to yours ... although I have previously installed PnP III via Roobarb's rlashing script it now fails using that method, using several pendrives all of which worked previously.

Can I ask which approach you used to put PnP III on your Joggler - the O2 flashing tool, or something else?

Cheers, Jon N
Hi Jon, Sorry for the delay in replying.

I used offbeatdave's instructions from page 1 of his PnPIII thread here:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=555. Of the various options he lists I used Stage 1 / Option B. Then having got the OpenPeak image in place I used the instructions for "Jogglers reflashed with the original OpenPeak reflasher".

The Joggler that refused to flash SqueezeplayOS with roobarb's reflashing tool, accepted that PnPIII flash without complaint, same USB stick & everything.

I'm confident that I was following roobarb's instructions properly, because the SqueezeplayOS flash worked like a charm on my other Joggler.

Maybe one of my Jogglers is unusually obtuse and grumpy..?
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi there

Thanks for the details - but it looks like this one (of my several Jogglers) is even more obtuse than yours.

It will reflash from Roobarbs tool fine, but won't install (eg) the original O2 firmware on the same pendrive
It also won't run the OpenPeak flasher too las you suggest.
However it will run eg. Linux Mint from a pendrive!

Annoyingly I think it used to be OK in this regard - as in another thread I have done some mild hardware hacking to use tow extra USB posts; one for another USB socket and one for a dedicated hardwired USB audio DAC. I guess the wiring for this has worsened the signal integrity, or something.

I will have to have another try using a powered USB hub and see if that helps any.

Thanks again
Jon N
sijones

Post by sijones »

One thing I found whilst trying to resurrect my first Joggler (blindly typing in commands from a USB keyboard, following PM'd instructions from the ever-patient offbeatdave):

The memory stick and keyboard were plugged in via a USB hub obviously, and I was getting nowhere. I used a decent quality unpowered, then a powered hub - not a sossage...

As a last gasp I tried a really cheap crummy 4-port hub that I borrowed from work. One of those couple-o-quid dome-shaped ones with the permanently attached master lead. Worked like a charm, where decent branded hubs had failed.

They move in a mysterious way these Jogglers...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I agree very strange :-)
I had a similar thing but with the keyboard a little tablet type keyboard in a case would not work for resurrection of a joggler but a full sized dell one would also my el cheapo hub would only work unpowered.
What I have found though is if you don't give up you usually get them going again.
Good luck..
Happy Joggling
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

The hot-swap method of re-writing EFI chips is initially scary, but as long as you familiarise yourself with the process before you start, you will be fine. I am sure. You seem pretty tech-savvy, Chonker.

BUT... The process has resurrected what would otherwise be dead stuck on EFI boot logo, or only half useful not booting factory OS (I bought a job-lot of "dead" Jogglers on eBay). I didn't wait to get spare EFI chips before I started.

The hot-swap method while telnet into the factory OS to do the command line stuff (I use Putty) is straight forward and you can backup your EFI chips while you are working which gives plenty of peace of mind.

One last thing to keep in mind - I read that flashing an O2 Joggler with Openpeak or other version EFI (and visa versa), will result in a non booting Joggler. I haven't tried this to confirm myself as there really is no need due to the availability of the EFI ROMs here on the forum/wiki or simply make a ROM image from another Joggler of the same type already in your possession.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP