Display issue... strange

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
Leonardo

Display issue... strange

Post by Leonardo »

Hi guys I have a very strange problem!
I bought a second Joggler and it works great (I hope!!)
Powering it on the screen is... "strange" it seems to be damaged, and this occours with all distro I tryed, I attach an example:

sometimes it completely white!

As soon as the system is up the display become ok and with no problem at all.

I had laptops damaged with this problem, but they didn't work at all, not only the boot process!!!

I disassembled it to check the display cable and to be sure of the contacts and it seems to be ok.
It's a non blocking problem, if it is "stable" but it's really UGLY!!!

Can anyone please give me an idea about this'!?!?
pete

Re: Display issue... strange

Post by pete »

More than 50% of my Jogglers boot up this way. I do not know why and just ignore it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Wow that's a good news!
Anyway is strange, because sometimes is ok, sometimes is like pic, sometimes is completely white!
The other Joggler I have, after opening it to evaluate where to fix additional USB port, had a similar issue, I opened it again and I found the display cable was non fixed very well. Fixed it and solved.
I did the same with this one but with no results!
I hope is only a boot problem, ugly but not terrible :)
Thanks for answer Pete!
pete

Post by pete »

I have extra USB connections inside just about all of my Jogglers. Have a look at the pictorials. I used 24 guage wire. It is very thin. You can get this wire from say an old USB cable stripping the wires out. The colors are just right Red (power), Black (ground), Green and White. One of my Jogglers I removed the USB port from the wireless USB device and soldered the 4 wires directly to the Wireless card. Others I have soldered an Asix NIC USB device and others a USB to ZIF card. That yellow tape is called Kapton tape if you want to purchase more of it. It is much better to use than black tape or scotch tape.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

It could be a good idea to put a bluetooth adapter inside! There are tiny adapter like the Sitecom and it costs not too much! With this I can connect keyboard and mouse wireless when I have to do something more!
Really a good idea to free the inside USB where the wifi adapter is connected!!! Also solding a USB hub I think is good, I have to find one sacrificable in my garbage! Can I ask you where I can find the pictures? I'm really interested in modifying hardware to have better usability!
(Obviously if you have more than the pics I can see in wiki under "hardware modifications")
pete

Post by pete »

Here is a link to my USB endeavor. Later went to thinner wires on the other side of the motherboard. I have very small bluetooth transcievers that I have installed in my Asus Nettop. I tried a small hub but it got too hot inside of the Joggler. Even the USB WAN stick attached over the USB SSD stick got a bit warm. I will take pictures of the next Joggler update. This one will have a very small cheapy $1 Mac like Asix NIC to USB device attached to the back of the Joggler and will utilize the addition USB port and wires.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=4&t=432
- Pete

Auto mater
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Thanks for link! I think I'll fix a little USB hub externally but getting out wires from the inside. On this way we can use external "offical" USB port for usb flash with OS (having a good speed), the hub could be used for bluetooth adapter and whatelse!
pete

Post by pete »

To pass the 4 little wires on the Asix Network USB stick I cut the USB cable in half. I then stripped off a few CM of cable, inserted shrinkable heat tubing, soldered the wires and I was good to go. With the little skinny USB wires soldered on to the motherboard you can tape them across or just go around the edges making sure that you do not mess the cables up with a screw.

Test each port on the USB hub before installing it as here typically only one works well for me out of 4, 7, 12 port USB hubs.
- Pete

Auto mater
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

I'm using a little Kraun 4ports USB hub and it seems have no problems at all, it's like this:

pete

Post by pete »

Very nice Leonardo.

The reason I went to utilizing the external Asix based USB NIC was because the wires were thin in the USB cable and I was able to pass them through the existing holes in the back of the Joggler. That said the device had an Apple MAC like build to it; similiar to your USB hub and its was very cheap at $1 USD.

The smaller USB hub that I used was actually a "bare bones" board that was meant to be utilized inside of the Asus Nettop. It is small but it would get really warm; too warm to place inside of the Joggler (my personal opinion though).
- Pete

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

Hi Leonardo - your display problem is documented in the forum. My Joggler didn't do this but then started to, and only on a cold boot. It doesn't happen (for me at least) on a warm reboot and the phenomenon disappears after the boot splash screen anyway. Like Pete said, I think you can safely ignore it.
Last edited by gegs on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Gegs thanks a lot for your answer too, I found on the Wiki something like my problem I though it was about usb modification... I'll look for articles on Forum more carefully! Thanks again I'm more relaxed now :)
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Geg I also confirm the problem is only on cold boot: if I tryed to reboot the system a couple of times and the screen is ok. :)