Linux Kernels for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Linux Kernels for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

I just noticed that Linux Kernel 3.3 has support for the GMA500... like what we have in our Jogglers. So, I decided to give it a try (v3.3.2).

I can't say it was a roaring success, but it's certainly no disaster. On first boot it worked! A quick flash of the screen and all seemed well, except for a message saying:

Code: Select all

gma500 0000:00:02.0: Invalid ROM contents
Had a very quick play and rebooted. That was a mistake. Now I get a lovely great crash. :)

I'm in no hurry to play around any further (this was a very quick fishing trip), but if anyone wants the kernel .debs I made they're here. I can't promise my kernel config is any good - I started with BuZz's config and then guessed a lot. ;)

Oh, and I always compile with thermal.psv=80, so if you're not happy about that, don't use the .debs.

EDIT: 22nd May 2012: Removed the link. It was buggy as hell.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Linux Kernel 3.3 with GMA500 Support

Post by BuZz »

Nice. The in kernel support for gma500 is still quite limited though compared to the emgd driver - but the progress is good at least.
roobarb!

Re: Linux Kernel 3.7 with GMA500 Support

Post by roobarb! »

Quick update - just did a compile of kernel 3.7.4 for the hell of it. The backlight stuff all patches in fine, though there's something still not right with the audio 'out of the box'. It works, but ignores the headphone socket again. The kernel GMA500 driver... well, there was a brief flash of life, then it all crashed out. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Linux Kernels with GMA500 Support

Post by BuZz »

do you have this patch http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/source/ke ... er-f.patch ? that was needed with 3.2.x to fix the headphone autodetection. if so - it's possible it will require another fix on newer kernels - which would mean some kernel git bisecting to see where it broke.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:do you have this patch http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/source/ke ... er-f.patch ? that was needed with 3.2.x to fix the headphone autodetection. if so - it's possible it will require another fix on newer kernels - which would mean some kernel git bisecting to see where it broke.
I was building it a piece at a time, just to see if there had been any serendipitous changes in the kernel. I applied the patch you link to above, but it seemed to break the output (which was working without any additional audio patches). I then applied both the patch above and the 0003-added-joggler-alsa-sound-fixes.patch and compiled again, but this time I receive the error:

Code: Select all

hda_codec: cannot build controls for #0 (error -16)
The speakers now output a lot of interference and squeaking. :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Chucking together a 3.4 kernel now, just to see if the audio patch broke there.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:Chucking together a 3.4 kernel now, just to see if the audio patch broke there.
Yup, it did. Exactly the same error.
pkirchhofer

Post by pkirchhofer »

Hi there,

I also encountered this error. The kernel audio interface did change somewhat. To fix this I bisected the kernel source and came up with a working patch:

Patch for kernel 3.4+: https://github.com/pkirchhofer/android- ... 04d7a95cdf
Additional patch for kernel 3.8+: https://github.com/pkirchhofer/android- ... 8c128e884a

Feel free to have a look.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Brilliant, thanks! I shall give that a whirl. :)
chrisfu

Post by chrisfu »

I'll be cooking a fork up of Openelec during the next few evenings, as I'm after an "as lightweight as possible" XMBC distro for my Joggler. I'll be basing it off the new RC5 of 3.0 which uses a 3.7 series kernel.

The idea will be to merge the minimum amount of legacy Joggler patches as possible to get a full featured and stable kernel, before merging in the minimum amount of plugins to enhance functionality sufficiently. A decent OSD keyboard and skin are the sum of my intentions, roughly.

If you've learnt anything since last month since playing with the 3.4 tree roobarb!, give me a shout. :)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I do hope your openelec Joggler build works out:-)
I for one would love to give it a go.
Good luck
Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Not played with it I'm afraid - but I will do one of these days!
vgrade

Post by vgrade »

Hey,

Wanted to thank you for your great work on the Joggler kernel.

I did some hacking some years ago with MeeGo on there and was looking to run the new SailfishOs from Jolla on there. EMGD is no supported with later Xorgs as you know and I noticed that you have done some work with gma500_gfx driver.

Well it works great, had the left/right split screen issue you fixed in your android userspace with xorg-fbdev driver but changing to xorg-modesetting fixed that.

The SailfishOs stack is mesa-llvmpip and I'm very impressed how well it runs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4bj2Dcvw9I

Anyway thanks again for you work.

BR

vgrade

pkirchhofer wrote:Hi there,

I also encountered this error. The kernel audio interface did change somewhat. To fix this I bisected the kernel source and came up with a working patch:

Patch for kernel 3.4+: https://github.com/pkirchhofer/android- ... 04d7a95cdf
Additional patch for kernel 3.8+: https://github.com/pkirchhofer/android- ... 8c128e884a

Feel free to have a look.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

SailfishOs looks interesting :-) I had not heard of it before,
good work on getting it working,
any chance of an image to boot off a usb stick that we could play with please.
Cheers
Happy Joggling
acesabe

Post by acesabe »

I'd also be interested in trying out a Sailfish image, although it does look like a demo right now so of limited use. Lets hope that Sailfish is all it's cracked up to be when it arrives!
vgrade

Post by vgrade »

Guys Hi.

I'm not sure if I can redistribute the image due to licensing but the image is based off the SailfishOs SDK virtualbox emulator image which can be extracted to a raw image

VBoxManage internalcommands converttoraw sailfishos.vdi sailfish.raw

I then added the kernel referenced above along with the xf86 modesetting driver from http://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:/vg ... i486/i486/

As the image is based on the emulator it does only have the example Silica components app installed but shows that the Joggler with the new gma500_gfx driver and mesa-llvm is up to the job.

BR

vgrade
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi vgrade
thanks for the info ,sailfishos looks like it would be a great addition for the Joggler
I checked out the you tube vid and it looks very promising :-)
Unfortunately the limit to my Joggler hacking is putting a pre built image on to a usb stick and booting from that .
Cheers

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Happy Joggling
touchstone

Post by touchstone »

chrisfu wrote:I'll be cooking a fork up of Openelec during the next few evenings, as I'm after an "as lightweight as possible" XMBC distro for my Joggler. I'll be basing it off the new RC5 of 3.0 which uses a 3.7 series kernel.

The idea will be to merge the minimum amount of legacy Joggler patches as possible to get a full featured and stable kernel, before merging in the minimum amount of plugins to enhance functionality sufficiently. A decent OSD keyboard and skin are the sum of my intentions, roughly.

If you've learnt anything since last month since playing with the 3.4 tree roobarb!, give me a shout. :)
Did you have any success getting Openelec running on the joggler?
roobarb!

Linux Kernel Talk

Post by roobarb! »

Just uploaded a new kernel (3.2.51) should anyone have any use for it. It was just a test compile, but it appears to work fine, so there was no point just binning it! Not one for beginners - if you don't know what the Linux kernel is, then you probably don't want it. ;)

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... id/3.2.51/

Compiled using gcc 4.4 under Ubuntu Lucid.

Enjoy!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

pkirchhofer wrote:Hi there,

I was looking through your patches for 3.10 and saw https://github.com/pkirchhofer/android- ... 1a67a87ec9

Apart from that small change to switch the pin, does the sound work perfectly ? I had started porting the older audio patches over to kernel 3.11 alsa, not working yet, but the previous joggler alsa patches modify a bunch of codec parameters and has different pin ids/configs from other models. Wish I understood the hardware and hda codecs better !