Kitchen Door Joggler

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
roobarb!

Kitchen Door Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

I've been promising to write this up properly for ages, but this is just a quick overview of what I did with one of my Jogglers so it would fit in with the kitchen, seeing as somebody sent me an email to ask. I was refitting the kitchen and (naturally) decided the Joggler would take the place of the radio. I opted for one of the cupboard doors. The base units and doors are all from Ikea (very good quality units and easy to get spare parts for) so I bought a spare door, traced around the rear of a Joggler screen and cut a hole in the door. The finished result is this:
01.jpg
I had originally intended to fit the screen flush, but I just don't have the tools to make a neat enough job. Luckily the recess of the door matches up quite nicely with the depth of the Joggler screen and thankfully the cutout for the light sensor is on the back case and not the screen, otherwise there'd have been a hole in the top! As you can see on the first pic, there's a Topping TP30 which is screwed to the underside of the same cabinet, with hidden cables running off to a couple of little speakers either side of the fridge.
02.jpg
On the other side of the door I made two little mounts out of some spare walnut and a stainless steel rear panel out of a section of unused cooker hood.
03.jpg
The wiring was put through cable braid and attached to the inside of the cupboard with these little metal cable tidies. The excess cable is to reduce strain as the door opens and closes.
04.jpg
The top mount is held on with three magnets embedded into the door; remove it and the back panel just pulls out of the groove in the lower mount. The logic board is rotated 90 degrees and backwards to the layout in the Joggler itself, just because it made the cabling neater. It has the added bonus that all of the connections are easier to get to. Unfortunately this meant that the connections for the ethernet and power are pointing in towards the board... not that it really matters.
05.jpg
This one's just a slightly closer up pic of the board. You can just about make out the copious amounts of glue holding the screen onto the door and the kapton tape which I'm using to keep dust out of the screen. The TP30 is connected to what would normally be the external USB socket. SqueezePlay OS is running from a USB stick on an extension cable - it just tucks in behind the screen. Oh, and I put some proper heat sinks on the GPU (the black heat sink) and CPU (little blue heat sink).
06.jpg
The little interface board is just hot-glued to the back of the door and the audio cables have been cut back as I'm not using them.
07.jpg
This just shows the magnets in the top mount. They're little neodymium ones, so they're super strong.
08.jpg
That's about it - I do have some better pictures of installing the screen to the door somewhere, but I'll write something on my site one day. It's taken me long enough to post this, because this setup has been installed for about two years now!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Mevi

Re: Kitchen Door Joggler

Post by Mevi »

Sexy install!!!
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice Roobarb.

Here wife would shoot me doing this to the kitchen cupboards. (she has been patient with me regarding the other holes I have been carving into the walls of current home.)
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Cracking install you have there :) if only i could do that bird wont let me :lol:
pete

Post by pete »

I currently utilize a touch screen in my garage below a kitchen cupboard which I installed for my workshop. That said the Joggler on the door would be nicer than the one I have in the wall with a PC a few feet away. I could utilize the wall space for something else. That and the garage is one audio zone of a multizoned amp and a separate subzone with its own audio amp which is inside of the cupboard with an internet audio streamer on top of it using some valuable space inside of the cupboard.

Attached is a below the cupboard picture. The cabinets there extend to the ceiling a provide much needed storage space for doing car stuff.

What is that blue LED dial looking like thing on the bottom.

I noticed the "braid" that you utilized looks similar to what I have in two vehicles for the wiring clusters. I like this type of braid better than the plastic tubing that I utilize here for short runs of clustered cables.
Attachments
UnderCupboard-1.jpg
Cupboard-1.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

pete_c wrote:Here wife would shoot me doing this to the kitchen cupboards. (she has been patient with me regarding the other holes I have been carving into the walls of current home.)
:lol:

Roobarb!, that's really inventive.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Lol showed your first two pictures to my wife, reaction "oooooo that looks nice "
Then showed her the third inside the cupboard, reaction " he's cut a hole in the friggin door! No effing way "
Ha ha ha,
Reminds me of the day I went to install a telephone line at some lady's house and was sent packing as she didn't want any wires or any holes drilled , so she got no phone line ;-)
Still I think it looks great Roobarb
Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Haha! Well, I did have to buy a spare door to do this - I would not have been popular if the kitchen was left with a viewport for the plates!

Thanks for the comments - it really does get used every day!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

pete_c wrote:I currently utilize a touch screen in my garage below a kitchen cupboard which I installed for my workshop. That said the Joggler on the door
and what about the paper roll on the right, how many giga is it? :D
anyway: goooood job!
As soon as I cleanup my mind about how to build my systems I'll take some photo too!
pete

Post by pete »

roobarb,

Is the LED volume control to one of those mini stereo amps?
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Leonardo,

The garage shop was originally set up to hack my automobiles.

That said it is set up for doing mechanical stuff and computer stuff.

The little box has little home automation stuff in it. RFID receiver as my automobiles have RFID tags in them.

Sprinklers system is automated with those two Rain 8 net boxes and running off Archlinux modded Seagate Dockstar.

There are also 1-wire sensors there which measure temperature and humidity. The little wall unit with the LEDs on it is a POE mini / micro AP/Firewall and network connection. Its the type utilized for hotels here.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:roobarb,

Is the LED volume control to one of those mini stereo amps?
Yup, that's the TP30.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Roobarb.

I purchased one of those little audio boards and volume controller et al about a year ago; but its sitting on the shelf to do list.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:I purchased one of those little audio boards and volume controller et al about a year ago; but its sitting on the shelf to do list.
I can imagine your to-do shelf has got some pretty interesting toys on it! :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

nice job roobarb! very tidy.
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

Hehe very nice !