[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ilovemyjoggler

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Would some kind soul please check and see if the Xsqueeze addon is working for them as mine is dead (script error) and I'm not sure if it's just me. Thanks.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Downloading 0.9 now and will try writing it to a usb stick asap and report back Andrew :)
I use win32 disk 0.3 and found it was the only one that worked for me on a W7 32 bit netbook , so you could try that ,
I don't think its an exact science though some os distros seem easy to create some not so easy !!

Update , 0.9 booting fine for me Andrew ;is your stick a one that deffo works on another os ?
A couple of things i do when writing an image for the Joggler
Reformat fully the memory stick ( not quick format )
Extract the image to be burnt to my desktop (lazy :lol: )
Run Win32 Disk imager 0.3 and point it to the image and the usb stick
Dont do anything else on my PC whilst it is writing .
The above might be more witchcraft than logic but i had problems like yourself for ages and now the above method works everytime .
Last edited by hawsey on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Gesture control on xbmc on Joggler
Has anyone seen this from a couple of years back?

http://nathan.chantrell.net/20100526/so ... r-updates/

The video gives you a good idea how it works
Click on the video link

Would / could this work on xbmc os for O2 Joggler ?
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the gesture stuff isn't connected up for linux afaik. you could however use easystroke combined with xbmc which I have tried and it does work.

[edit] aah I think he is using easystroke also.

There is code in xbmc for gesture control and it works on some os'. I think it will work on linux at some point, but last I read it wasn't there yet.
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi Hawsey
Thanks for the reply. I have tried 0.3 win32disk imager it did not work would not see any drive's.
So i am downloading again then going to try my last USB stick and see if that one work's
Will update this post to let you know how i got on.
Many Thanks
Andrew

PS
Hawsey what netbook do you have mine's and acer aspire one AOA150 ,1.5gig ram, 320 HDD

UPDATE
I have been trying to boot from the USB that's on the side of the joggler and XMBC does not work.
So got me spare 2.5inch enclosure put XMBC on it then into side USB and nothing !!
So i connected to USB that XP boot's from the ex wifi USB socket and BANG it it WORK'S
That's got me a little puzzled so why do all the other distro's work on side USB but XMBC wont
but works from internal USB. I did not change any thing. !!
Last edited by Andrew1971 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Samsung nc10 160 gig 1Gb ram, broken screen connected to a monitor:-)
When you look at your stick in "my computer" can you see all of its memory?
It might just need a whizz with the hp utilities re format tool.
Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Check UPDATE on my last post :lol:
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ahh lol glad u sort of got it sorted.
I have a feeling it's something to do with how fast or slow particular sticks read /write.
A recent post suggesting the crappier the stick the more success.
There's also the funny thing with distros only booting off port 4 !!
There was some sort explanation for the hub issue but way over my head I'm afraid lol
Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi Hawsey
Thanks for the reply. Ohh the hub trick sort off !! that will catch lot's newbie's out i bet !!
This is the thing i was not using a hub when trying the distro's it USB stick/USB HDD in either USB port.
It only worked on the internal one that confused me :lol:
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Well 2 reboot's and back to prompt again :cry: that's after some update's dont know which one's. I didnt change any thing.
Something else is wrong not sure what weather is the USB HDD or the USB port or it's the joggler it seem's very hit+miss with XMBC hmm

Update
It's got to be XMBC just tried xubuntu,mint,android 2.2 they all work good. All tried on the same hardware.
My thinking it's XMBC it just does not like my joggler. So if i want XMBC i will use mint or xunbuntu it'd just as good.
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

Is your Joggler moded (hardware wise)?
Does it starts till grub or. it does not even boot from USB?
Or does it boots, but when XBMC tries to start it throws you to the command line? (if this is the cause then debugg log will be needed).
Are you connected to the wired ethernet during first boot? Are you able to login into device?

There were no problems reporting on booting except for one user who has moded his Joggler but i have fixed this issue.

P.S.:
If the downloaded image extracts normally then the image - download is not corrupt.
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
It does boot from usb i get the ubuntu screen then goes to prompt.
It has ethernet cable plugged in on first boot. I dont know the login password's.
Internal wifi has been taken out + a hole has been drilled in back of case for the usb cable. then goes to a usb powered HDD. Hope that helps
Many Thanks
Andrew
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

I know where your problem is.
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =40#p12605

You have to login with root user (username and password) are on the first page.
Then you have to edit the file /etc/rc.local
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Thanks for the reply iLLiac4.
My joggler has changed rooms now so no ethernet have to use wifi only.
So i will be using XP for my streaming needs to both kindle fire HD using bubble upnp which works really well :D
And just found that that XBMC also is on android now got try it. and that's slightly off topic ;)
Many Thanks
Andrew
Batz

Post by Batz »

This is great, my Joggler comes out of semi-retirement! But I have a couple of questions.

I can't find out how to enable or configure wireless anywhere in any of the 4 skins. Help?!

I find that even in the touch oriented skins the music playback buttons are too small. I would expect the music to play with the visualisation and then have huge buttons for play/pause, forward/backwards etc. these could either be translucent or else hidden until you touch the screen. That way it would be easy to quickly operate. At the moment it's just too fiddly.

Any thoughts?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Batz wrote:This is great, my Joggler comes out of semi-retirement! But I have a couple of questions.

I can't find out how to enable or configure wireless anywhere in any of the 4 skins. Help?!

I find that even in the touch oriented skins the music playback buttons are too small. I would expect the music to play with the visualisation and then have huge buttons for play/pause, forward/backwards etc. these could either be translucent or else hidden until you touch the screen. That way it would be easy to quickly operate. At the moment it's just too fiddly.

Any thoughts?
You can set up the wifi in 'network manager' in programs. You have to start off with an ethernet cable and pull it out once you've got it all set up and while it's running. That seems to be the only way the wifi gets kick started. There are a few posts about this quirk in this thread.

As for the buttons - someone else may be able to give you better advice idea but I use a mouse with my joggler that runs this os as it offers MUCH better precision. I know that you can edit the font and make that bigger but I really don't know if buttons can be resized.

I don't know what addon you're using for your music but I use xsqueeze (as it connects to my joggler running the squeezeplay os) and never bother using the joggler to control it - I use the squeezebox app on my phone which is much more finger friendly.

Not sure if this helps at all but I'm sure others will give more advice.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Ah NUTS! The developer has added squeezelite to xsqueeze. And now the plugin is broken and I have no clue how to fix it. In case anyone can advise the problems are:

it said: 'Failed to create player process. On oe/linux/osx you probably need to manually chmod = x the binaries' (whatever that means!)

and then it said it can't find my lms server. It's asking for the server ip - I don't remember having to add this before but in any case (as stupid as this sounds) I'm not sure what I should add.

I uninstalled and it wouldn't reinstall - it says its broken and 'dependencies not met'.

I use this all the time - and will be lost without it but I don't think many use xsqueeze on the joggler so I'm prepared for disappointment. If anyone uses this and figures out how to get it working again I'll be forever in your debt if you can help!

Ps This is waaay over my head which is why I'm not asking the sxqueeze developer.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

@ilovemyjoggler

Have you tried rolling back the addon to the previous version?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Spoyser, I think I've well and truly effed up.

I uninstalled xsqueeze and now can't reinstall - so obviously, no rollback. What's really strange is that it was showing as an update available, not downloaded. But it definitely wasn't working which is why I uninstalled it after I tried to unsuccessfully reconfigure.

I did back up my image of this os when I created it (ages ago) so can create a new stick but I don't know where this will leave me in terms of how out of date the os will be. Then there is the problem that I won't want xsqueeze to update at all - how the heck do I stop that?

Do you use it? Is yours working? Oh no - I've just remembered what you said about yours needing reflashing....!!