[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler

Post by BuZz »

Also, just seen JoliOS - I will give that a try soon as XBMC boots from within that.
all the linux distros at http://joggler.exotica.org.uk have xbmc (including jolios).
stepoon

Post by stepoon »

This is great :) is there a way to get xbmc to see an external USB sound card plugged into a USB hub? As the onboard sound is poor :( ???
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Yes, there is. That's how I have mine set up. You need to select the audio output in the main settings though. I can never remember which one you need to select. Someone may be able to tell you but I just go through the various options until I get sound!
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

I have tested it with Frodo RC1 release and it works, so if you want and know how to, you can update.

I have also used (after adding new repo from BuZZ) and install RC1:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove

Everything seems to work ok YFI.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

iLLiac4 wrote:I have tested it with Frodo RC1 release and it works, so if you want and know how to, you can update.

I have also used (after adding new repo from BuZZ) and install RC1:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove

Everything seems to work ok YFI.
Can anyone please tell me what advantages there are, if any, to using Frodo as I don't really know what it is - I thought he was a hobbit...
gegs

Post by gegs »

Frodo (v12) is the next version of XBMC after Eden (v11). Frodo is out of beta and Release Candidate 1 is available. The stable version shouldn't be too long.

Frodo is the first version that's supposed to run on Android but I've tested the RC1 version on my phone and it doesn't work for me. Maybe if I had a better phone. It will be great if it can run on those cheap Android tablets.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Ohh, thanks gegs.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

gegs wrote:Frodo (v12) is the next version of XBMC after Eden (v11). Frodo is out of beta and Release Candidate 1 is available. The stable version shouldn't be too long.

Frodo is the first version that's supposed to run on Android but I've tested the RC1 version on my phone and it doesn't work for me. Maybe if I had a better phone. It will be great if it can run on those cheap Android tablets.
Inspired by your post I just tried this on my daughters cheap tablet, a Ployer Momo 7" jobbie, and it works, not had much of a play yet.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

iLLiac4 wrote:I have tested it with Frodo RC1 release and it works, so if you want and know how to, you can update.
Will updating lose all settings and basically be a fresh install?

... and if you want to update but don't know how to... would anyone be kind enough to give an idiots guide? This close to Xmas I can understand if no-one can be bothered!!
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

You will not loose any settings if you do it by hand. After and if I release a new image then you will loose your settings but it is easy to back them up and restore. I will give you some commands to update but will have to find the time during the day :)
gegs

Post by gegs »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:
gegs wrote:Inspired by your post I just tried this on my daughters cheap tablet, a Ployer Momo 7" jobbie, and it works, not had much of a play yet.
I tried Frodo beta 3 on my iPad and it didn't work, so I had to remove the XBMC development source from Cydia and re-install Eden. I'll wait to read reviews about performance before I upgrade the iOS versions on my iPad and Apple TV2.

Because I don't use my mobile much there was no sense in getting an expensive Android phone. I've got an HTC Desire C which is OK for my uses but not for some of the pernickety apps on Google Play which tell me to upgrade my phone before I can use them. I'm sure my daughter's Android phone will run XBMC but I'll wait until the final version is released before I tell her. Apparently it will be available from Google Play as an official app (unlike the iPad version which needs a jailbreak).

The Desire C did run Eden, it just doesn't run Frodo. Eden was a curiosity project for me because there was no video hardware acceleration and playback was very bad. That is being addressed in the short term by playing video feeds through an external media player that does have hardware acceleration. Native hardware accel is promised for early 2013.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

iLLiac4 wrote:You will not loose any settings if you do it by hand. After and if I release a new image then you will loose your settings but it is easy to back them up and restore. I will give you some commands to update but will have to find the time during the day :)
That would be great. No rush, no pressure. Just whenever. Thank you!
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
I just thought i would try this os and it did not boot in to desktop it just went in to login. Tried several times and still the
same and different drives :?:
I was thinking to replace XP because of non working ethernet in XP
Many Thanks
Andrew
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Andrew
Did you post this in the right thread ?
Xbmc Os boots straight in to xbmc media centre and has no desktop ;-)
It is excellent once you get it set up right
Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi Hawsey
Thanks for the reply. I called it desktop because i was not what to call it at the time :!:
Yes it's in the right thread. I am just getting the login prompt. I have down loaded it several times still the same.
So don't know what to do. Does XMBC share film's+music on my network not sure off that as well :lol:
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hmm not sure why you are just getting that :-/ .
Once you do get it going you go to say music and click on add source then browse to your music folder and click ok , you do the same for movies and photographs etc.
Probably easier to load xbmc up on a laptop to have a mess about with first tho....
Good luck
What are you using to create your boot sticks by the way? I found only 0.3 win32 disk imager would work for me on a 32 bit pc, I had lots of failures on the way but now it works every time.
Happy Joggling
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

I have done more testing of different distro's they all work as they should just this one does not work.
Iam using win32disk imager 0.4 version on windows 7 ultimate 32bit.
And i have used the same USB HDD on all of them. XMBC is only one that fails.
Many Thanks
Andrew
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I would try re downloading the image you're using if you haven't already.
The xbmc I am using is not the latest tho, I'll try this one tonight if I get time and let you know :-).
Anybody else had success with the latest image?
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

hawsey wrote:Anybody else had success with the latest image?
Hi hawsey. I'm on the latest version 0.9 and it definitely works - although it's not been as rock solid as 0.8 for me but that could well be my usb. Haven't tried a recent download of the image tho...
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Had another play today i downloaded 0.8 version and it doesnt work it flashed on the screen about a broken pipe.
Have no idea on that one !!