using the touch screen in Windows?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
yesyes

using the touch screen in Windows?

Post by yesyes »

Hi,

I have just been given a Joggler display from a friend.
I want to use the screen as a 2nd monitor on a PC. I'm quite confident I can get the TFT screen part working (I have done this before with laptop TFT panels...).

My question is if someone has any idea on how I could use the touch screen part of of the Joggler screen? The touch screen controller board seems to have an I2C bus (there are test points on the PCB labelled SDA and SCL).

Any ideas, please?

Thanks,
Chris
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: using the touch screen in Windows?

Post by BuZz »

A software alternative (not saying to do it this way, but easier than pulling the joggler apart :) )

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Extende ... ws_Desktop
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

Thanks for that. I'm afraid the Joggler is already apart. I only got the screen from a friend. The rest is broken, he says...

In the meantime I figured out that the touch screen connects via USB (checked the PSoC chip datasheet and followed the tracks on the PCB).
I wonder what will happen if I solder a USB cable onto it and plug it into a Windows 7 machine? I guess it won't find drivers.

I see there are some Linux distros for the Joggler. I'll have to check what driver they use for the touch screen...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the touchscreen will show up as a pointing device and operate like a mouse.
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

So you're saying Windows has a driver for it? I just connect up the USB on the touch controller and plug it into a Win machine? That would be excellent... ;-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

well, i can't speak for windows, but it works out of the box on linux. I guess it should be the same for windows.
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

ok, great. I will give this a try tonight and report back here.

Any idea what driver is used on Linux for the touch panel? This info might make it easier to find a Windows driver...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

just a HID pointing device.
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

Ha! That was almost too easy... ;-)
I just connected up the USB on the touch screen controller to a USB-A plug, plugged it into my Win7 machine and it detected it straight away as a OpenPeak Touchscreen device.

It does move the mouse pointer but does some weird things. It's like moving the mouse with the left button clicked, i.e. it draws a rectangle on the Windows desktop.
I guess I need to find some settings and calibration...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

yep since touching the screen is a left click, and hence lots of problems with os' designed for mice. i guess you can tweak some settings or something to make it work better though with windows.
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

Ah, I see. It's coordinates and a left click in one. Makes sense.
Well, I was going to use it as a 2nd screen anyway. So I can use it for applications that only need clicks, not mouse movements. Like onscreen keyboard, calculator, media player and the like...

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.
I'll update the thread when I get this all working.
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

Just wanted to update the thread.

I have given up on this. I got the touch screen part working as mentioned but can't find a suitable controller for the display part. The panel uses 8 bit LVDS which seems to be unusual for this screen size/resolution.

However, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know... :)
manxam

Post by manxam »

I know this thread is old but how did you make out with this? What issues were you having when using it solely as a USB screen?
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

No, I have not returned to this project (yet?). Mostly because I couldn't find a controller to drive the display via VGA.
The touchschreen was surprisingly easy to get to work. It's actually USB. But when you touch it does move *and* click. No chance to drag anything. It will be OK for certain applications where there is only icons or buttons to click. But you couldn't move a slider for example.
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

BuZz wrote:A software alternative (not saying to do it this way, but easier than pulling the joggler apart :) )

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Extende ... ws_Desktop
Sorry to be a bit thick here but does that mean if you use those instructions you can control a Win7 or XP computer without a monitor from a Joggler? Or do you still need a monitor :?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you can control a windows pc remotely (ie without a monitor) without that software - for example using remote desktop and connecting from the joggler. that software allows extending a desktop onto the joggler.
higgs8921

Post by higgs8921 »

hi there ive just got a broken joggler and in trying to wire the touch screenboard up to a usb cable if anyone could post pics of wiring diagram or even list there the wires should go i would be very much great fun as ive seen a post above and looks like some of u have dne it
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

Hi higgs8921
the touch part is no problem... If I remember I'll post a picture of how I wired that. Please remind me if I don't post it in the next few days...
But I still haven't found a way to get the screen itself working... If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.... ;-)
higgs8921

Post by higgs8921 »

thanks so much, thats my nxt area to look at there must be a way
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

OK, just found an old-ish image on my hard drive here at work... I've cropped the 2 important parts of the image and put it into one.

So the connection is as follows:

touch screen connector pin - USB pin
1 - Vdd (+5Volt)
4 - DN (Data -)
5 - DP (Data +)
6 - GND

Hope this help. Please do post back if you find something about the display itself...
Attachments
Joggler_USB_connection.jpg