[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
AndrewJames

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler

Post by AndrewJames »

AndrewJames wrote:Excellent work iLLiac4

finding this the Best / Stable image to date and meets my needs for a media gui on my jogglers
looking forward to your next release with bug fixes and better xsqueeze support already!!
Can i ask, have you included any bluetooth audio drivers into the distro? prehaps Buzz included these in the base image
looking to buy a usb bluetooth dongle rather than a 3.5mm to Bluetooth transmitter ideally
was wondering if anyone had tested these with the various linux distros we have

also found this guide - http://linuxpixies.blogspot.co.uk/2011/ ... thout.html

Update - Reading up and it seems any CSR chipset BT dongle will suffice, the Bluenext BN01 is recommened
it just requires the BlueZ bluetooth stack, do we know if this is supported in the Base image or if its possible to install BlueZ to work with XBMC
I will order one and give it a test in the meantime

thanks

Andrew
Recieved my Bluetooth A2DP dongle in the post, works really well with Buzzs full Xunbuntu image using BlueZ and PulseAudio Bluetooth addon
gmusicbrowser & xbmc pickup and play the audio direct out of the Pulse Audio mixer once paired with my A2DP headset , sadly Squeezeplayer seems to be using Alsa

@iLLiac4 are you aware of anyway to intergrate BlueZ and PulseAudio volume into XBMC?
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

No additional stuff will be implemented according to hardware support in general image. If you want something that not work in my image and is not hardware related to O2 Joggler you can try to install/manage/configure it by yourself. On first page all the default passwords are written so you can try out. I think that PulseAudi ois fo gui only and is there to configure alsa if i'm right.

To ilovemy joggler:
According to problems related to 0.9 there should me none. The scripts are updated after first reboot and this is normally. This can take some minutes.
I would need a debug log of the error so i could help you with script error. I'm sure it is simple to solve.

cheers
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

iLLiac4: I suspect it's a problem with my usb as no one else has mentioned these issues. I've actually created a new one which I'll try over the weekend. :)
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

I do not think it is your usb. I think only one dependency has not been updated property. Maybe after reboot or. an hour later everything will work by itself. Check if under addon anything is downloading or. any plugins under update are.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

iLLiac4, I've now got v0.9 up and running (minus xsqueeze). Thanks again!

Btw, I had no idea xbmc had airplay until my phone picked it up automatically. Brilliant.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I'd love to try this but I'd like a decent Squeezebox client as well. I know I'm just being greedy.
With this in mind there's been a new Linux headless Squeezebox software player developed on the slim server forums, called squeezelite that I'm wondering if it might be possible to install to run in the background. Squeezelite doesn't have an interface so just runs in the background and is picked up by LMS as a player. Maybe even xsqueeze could control it although using the Web interface or an android controller would be fine with me.
I might have a go at this myself and ill come back and post a link if anybody else is interested in getting a decent Squeezebox player working.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:I'd love to try this but I'd like a decent Squeezebox client as well. I know I'm just being greedy.
With this in mind there's been a new Linux headless Squeezebox software player developed on the slim server forums, called squeezelite that I'm wondering if it might be possible to install to run in the background. Squeezelite doesn't have an interface so just runs in the background and is picked up by LMS as a player. Maybe even xsqueeze could control it although using the Web interface or an android controller would be fine with me.
I might have a go at this myself and ill come back and post a link if anybody else is interested in getting a decent Squeezebox player working.
If you watch tv on your joggler at all then I'd highly recommend giving this a go. I don't have a need for other apps on the kitchen joggler so launching straight into xbmc is fab, stable and fast!

You're right however. The only thing missing is the music player and I've been banging on about this for ages so if you think you're being greedy, I shudder to think what people must think of me! Xsqueeze simply does not work for me on the joggler. At all. I've just been switching out of it to use Squeezeplay on PNPIII which is a bit of a faff. It's a shame as I can see xsqueeze has got great potential.

If you can find a way of getting the joggler to pick up & play from LMS it would be brilliant! Although unlike you I want the world in that I'd love to be able to control it from the joggler or my iphone app. If you manage it, I'm sure there will be many other delighted people. :D
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:
JimbobVFR400 wrote:I'd love to try this but I'd like a decent Squeezebox client as well. I know I'm just being greedy.
If you watch tv on your joggler at all then I'd highly recommend giving this a go. I don't have a need for other apps on the kitchen joggler so launching straight into xbmc is fab, stable and fast!

You're right however. The only thing missing is the music player and I've been banging on about this for ages so if you think you're being greedy, I shudder to think what people must think of me! Xsqueeze simply does not work for me on the joggler. At all. I've just been switching out of it to use Squeezeplay on PNPIII which is a bit of a faff. It's a shame as I can see xsqueeze has got great potential.

If you can find a way of getting the joggler to pick up & play from LMS it would be brilliant! Although unlike you I want the world in that I'd love to be able to control it from the joggler or my iphone app. If you manage it, I'm sure there will be many other delighted people. :D
As far as i know this plugin is already working this way (it is calling background open-source player for lms). Mine can find the the LMS and connect to them. Also i can control it from android and over vnc. It can act as client or. controller for external lms. So basically it is working for me. But i have to be honest... I have zero interests in it because i do not like lms and i'm not using it. Have installed it just to manage some tweaks for release and this is it.
With running the XBMC with upstart script seem to improve the stability even more.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

iLLiac4 wrote:As far as i know this plugin is already working this way (it is calling background open-source player for lms). Mine can find the the LMS and connect to them. Also i can control it from android and over vnc. It can act as client or. controller for external lms. So basically it is working for me. But i have to be honest... I have zero interests in it because i do not like lms and i'm not using it. Have installed it just to manage some tweaks for release and this is it. With running the XBMC with upstart script seem to improve the stability even more.
Ahh. Well who feels like a total twonk? It does work if I use the controller app on my phone. Who knew? HOORAY! Syncs nicely with the other jogglers too. Thank you!!
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Ahh. Well who feels like a total twonk? It does work if I use the controller app on my phone. Who knew? HOORAY! Syncs nicely with the other jogglers too. Thank you!!
Have to admit XBMC is something I'm not familiar with but from reading this it now appears that it "fits" with SqPOS/LMS.
Is this something I should be getting into? What are it's benefits? If it's all about media streaming, surely a Joggler screen is way too small - don't get it!!! :?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Fishy wrote:Have to admit XBMC is something I'm not familiar with but from reading this it now appears that it "fits" with SqPOS/LMS.
Is this something I should be getting into? What are it's benefits? If it's all about media streaming, surely a Joggler screen is way too small - don't get it!!! :?
I'm still learning about XBMC but I'm sure others will be able to tell you more of it's capabilites. I'd never heard of it before joining the forum but I now use it a fair bit but only to turn my kitchen joggler or laptop into a tv, watching live or streamed tv shows from a fairly sizeable library (legal?). And now to listen to the radio and music.

Yes it DOES pick up and play from lms which is loaded on another joggler.

Of course you're right. The joggler screen is small but much larger than the screen on my phone, which is what I had been using! This particular joggler is on a shelf that's eyelevel in the cooking corner so I watch/listen with half an eye and for that it's fantastic. If I were truly 'watching' something, or had the time to, I'd be sat in front of the much larger HD tv. ;)
pete

Post by pete »

Here I have turned all of the mini Aopen Digital Engines into XBMC boxes; now Linux. Personally like it much better than MS Media Center. I did test running XBMC on the Joggler and it does nicely. I can stream live TV at 720/480 just fine with it. Testing out a new MythTV box. The MythTV box is kind of a DIY Tivo box. In it are two over the air TV HD tuners. That said you can schedule recordings on the MythTV box and watch them just fine with the Joggler running XBMC.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I am building xbmc current nightlies (Frodo) and they are available from

https://launchpad.net/~jools/+archive/joggler-testing/

currently only 12.04 is finished building. ive not even had a chance to test myself. I think the re-touched skin we have been using doesn't yet support all the Frodo PVR features.

will hopefully be available for lucid and quantal soonish.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

when Frodo final is released I will be putting it into the main joggler ppa.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

in case anyone else wants to try also - to add the joggler testing repository:

edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/joggler.list and add

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jools/joggler-testing/ubuntu precise main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/jools/joggler-testing/ubuntu precise main
then edit /etc/apt/preferences.d/joggler.pref and add

Package: *
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-jools-joggler-testing
Pin-Priority: 1010
then

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
and it should update
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i updated above post as I forgot to include the -testing
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

How is frodo? Yet to try it real life keeps interrupting :-)
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
reddwarf

Post by reddwarf »

First, you have done a fantastic job of getting XBMC to run on the Joggler.
It looks and runs really. So, great job and thanks for sharing.

I have one slight problem. I can't get XBMC to allocate an IP on a wireless connection.
I read over this thread and picked up that wifi is a bit of a problem. I tired implementing the workarounds suggested on page 2 and page 3 but I still cannot get the joggler to connect over wifi? It works fine with a wired connection.

Any thoughts?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

You have to have it attached to your router with a cable first, put in your wifi details and make sure it makes accepts them and that xbmc is running, all while still attached with a cable. Then pull out the network cable from the joggler while it's still running xbmc. If you power off first while cable is attached it doesn't seem work. This is the only method that has repeatedly worked for me and once kick started it's rock solid. Hope this helps.

If this still fails then someone else may have another idea.
reddwarf

Post by reddwarf »

Ah ha!
Figured it out. Plug in cable first then Programs / Network-Manager, set wifi details, get connected, remove cable and now up and running, woo hoo!
I now have my favourite plugins working - iPlayer and LiveOnLineFooty.
Great piece of work.
Just got the Joggler recently and it's amazing what this forum has done for the Joggler - very impressed with PnP III, SqueezePlay and XBMC.
Also, just seen JoliOS - I will give that a try soon as XBMC boots from within that.