Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by BuZz »

quentin wrote:
BuZz wrote:I have some "O2" branded efi images - but I don't know for sure that it would work if your hardware has some differences or so - eg the screen etc.
I poked at this some more. Where can I find the "fh" module that you need to access the EFI? Your Ubuntu doesn't appear to include it.

I tried booting a Debian Squeeze image that worked fine on my first Joggler, and it failed with a kernel BUG related to the EFI clock (full error at https://gist.github.com/3202455). The machine kept booting, but all sorts of stuff was broken (like X). Have you seen that error before?

The graphics appear to be fine for grub; they only break when it gets to the kernel. I put a video of 2.6.33.5 booting at http://youtu.be/A8H-xAODc3Y but your latest Xubuntu 12.04 image does the same thing.
you have to use the built in os to flash the efi - source for the fh module might become available in the future though.

not seen that error no sorry. sounds like something might have gotten corrupted in your efi though.
mipmip

Post by mipmip »

speculatrix wrote:I just tried the minimal btfs image on my joggler and had some odd problems. I couldn't get eth0 to work, even when setting a manual IP address, and when I added an additional partition to the usb stick it wouldn't boot any more.
I'm just trying the xubuntu btrfs image to see if it's better.

--edit--

it wasn't stable either, so I tar'd off the btrfs partition, reformatted to ext4, restored the files and changed fstab, and it booted ok, hopefully I'll have more luck. I think this joggler is unwell anyway because when I was running a previous ubuntu image it would sometimes lock up, and I know the image was fine because it ran on my other joggler without a problem.
this one is one I have modded to add another USB socket, a flying lead made by chopping a usb extension cable, it simply dangles out the edge with a dab of hot glue to act as anchor and grommit, with a basic four port USB hub connected, so perhaps that's part of the problem :-(
I have the same issue with my LAN connection, did you manage to resolve it.

Regards mipmip
monkeydogcat

Post by monkeydogcat »

I installed xubuntu_12.04-v1.1-btrfs.img.gz but sadly it's unusable. When I attempt to connect to the wireless network the keyboard repeats every key press a seemingly infinite number of times and the after a few minutes of poking the X session borks itself and I find myself at the login screen. This is reproducible with 100% reliability. I've grabbed the Mint version and that's fine. So I'll just use that instead.
gegs

Post by gegs »

The infinite keyboard press thingy was my experience with Xubuntu too. I'm now also using Mint (which I'm very comfortable with because it's been my PC distro of choice for two or three years now).
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

monkeydogcat wrote:I installed xubuntu_12.04-v1.1-btrfs.img.gz but sadly it's unusable. When I attempt to connect to the wireless network the keyboard repeats every key press a seemingly infinite number of times and the after a few minutes of poking the X session borks itself and I find myself at the login screen. This is reproducible with 100% reliability. I've grabbed the Mint version and that's fine. So I'll just use that instead.
I have pushed out a florence update. Do you have a usb keyboard to do "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade" on xubuntu to test? seems to work ok here, you may want to turn off the default sounds in the config also. unsure why mint seems ok. same florence - maybe some slightly different default config which isn't triggering it somehow.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates to Ubuntu 12.04 / Xubuntu 12.04 / Ubuntu Base 12.04 - (30/10/2012)

* Kernel 3.2.32 with fh kernel module for reading/writing efi flash.
* Latest XBMC 're-touched' skin from Jezz X.
* Distribution Package updates.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have a xubuntu 12.10 image almost ready to go. Just need to work around an issue with plymouth (or remove it and have a plain bootup).
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

Please also build the smallest distro so i can start building new release for XBMC.
I will not develop on 12.04 anymore so i will wait for 12.10 as i'm tight on time atm.

The biggest trouble in 12.04 is network manager (to get easy user friendly interface for users) and graphic drivers (slightly unstable).
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

as the 12.04 release is a lts there is no advantage to move to 12.10 - for me the only interest is the xfce update.

nothing else much to say joggler wise.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

It's probably worth me clarifying there is no new graphics driver or other hardware improvements here apart from the updated kernel that the Precise images already have. When/If a new EMGD driveris released, I will roll out packages for all supported distros. I will try and support the LTS Precise images for as long as I can.

12.10 Xubuntu is building now. I won't be doing an Ubuntu release as Unity 2D has now been dropped, Unity 3D doesn't work and is too slow with software rendering. Unity 2D didn't work that well on the touchscreen anyway.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:It's probably worth me clarifying there is no new graphics driver or other hardware improvements here apart from the updated kernel that the Precise images already have. When/If a new EMGD driveris released, I will roll out packages for all supported distros. I will try and support the LTS Precise images for as long as I can.

12.10 Xubuntu is building now. I won't be doing an Ubuntu release as Unity 2D has now been dropped, Unity 3D doesn't work and is too slow with software rendering. Unity 2D didn't work that well on the touchscreen anyway.
Using the Xubuntu release here right now and it's brilliant. Top notch update, BuZz, as per! :D
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thanks!

And it's out now - Xubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal)

same Joggler specific features as the 12.04. Notable new features in 12.10 for Xubuntu are:

* Xfce 4.10
* Completely rewritten offline documentation
* In the application menu, all settings-related launchers are now grouped under the Settings Manager
* Updated artwork, including new wallpaper, documentation looks and updates to LightDM, Greybird and Ubiquity slideshow
* New versions of Catfish and Parole

more information here: http://xubuntu.org/news/12-10-release/

downloads from http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ubuntu/
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

has anyone tried this yet ? :)
everton1234

Post by everton1234 »

Hi

I have just tried this and all looks good.

1 issue which could be simple is how to i make Squeezeplay full screen so that the menu bar at the top and the hidden Mac style tray doesn't appear at the bottom and interfere with changing the volume in the app

Many thanks
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

I have just installed Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal. It seems a lot slower than 12.04 on my Joggler.

Another thing that I cant figure out is that in my file explorer in 12.04, I could see a "Network" link. From that I could link through to the USB drive on my Wireless Router. I have tried all sorts including downloading Samba. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

might be missing the gvfs / thunar vfs packages. I didn't check that when I installed.

speed should be the same - did you do any modification of thermal throttle point on old or new distro ?
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

Oops, I forgot to set the thermal figures... I had them set on 12.04.

So can I install the missing packages myself? if so how? Sorry for being a pain. Just a fresher!

Thanks in advance for your help.
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

Also forgot to mention... i see two 256mb partitions and one 452mb in file manager. sometimes i see double the number!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

tmohammad wrote:Oops, I forgot to set the thermal figures... I had them set on 12.04.

So can I install the missing packages myself? if so how? Sorry for being a pain. Just a fresher!

Thanks in advance for your help.
you can, and it;s done the same as on any xubuntu / ubuntu install. via apt-get etc, or package manager.

if you are unfamiliar with xubuntu I recommend you have it installed in a vm for testing etc and have a read of some ubuntu forums/tutorials.

regarding the issue, seems some others have it too http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2076820

I'll take a look when i get a chance.
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

What happened to the file /etc/rc.local?

I need to add echo "5" >/sys/class/backlight/bopenframe-bl/backlight to it (before the exit 0) to set brightness.