[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Hitcher

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler

Post by Hitcher »

'2.0, analogue and "default" audio device' all set but no sounds on mine.

Beginning to wonder whether I've brought a dodgy one.
buges

Post by buges »

@ Hitcher

Had the same problem.
Audio output device=Custom & Custom audio device=hw:0,0
Sorted it for me, but still get no menu sounds
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you wont get menu sounds with the touchscreen afair. if you plug in a keyboard you will though.
Hitcher

Post by Hitcher »

buges wrote:@ Hitcher

Had the same problem.
Audio output device=Custom & Custom audio device=hw:0,0
Sorted it for me, but still get no menu sounds
That fixed it, thanks.
buges

Post by buges »

Thanks for the info BuZz.
Hitcher glad you got it working.
Hitcher

Post by Hitcher »

I'm using a 16GB memory stick, how can I use the extra space for storage?

Thanks.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Hitcher wrote:I'm using a 16GB memory stick, how can I use the extra space for storage?

Thanks.
I read in the first post that this is based on btrfs; Unfortunately this filesystem isn't supported by Gparted which would be the ideal way to grow the filesystem to fill the available space. If you are using Windows you can use its own Disk Management tools to format any empty space on the drive as a FAT32 partition. The FAT 32 partition can be used to store media files and has the advantage of being portable; files downloaded to the partition in XBMC can be accessed by other devices.

There is an old thread detailing a way to grow the btrfs partition, but it's not as easy or as useful as having the additional FAT32 one.
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

Ssh to your joggler (putty ou terminal) and follow roobarb's instructions from this post:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... rt=10#p305

Worked great with me.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Yep! that's the thread I meant, but the extra space created is only readable by the Joggler or another linux box. If you create another partition that is readable by more devices you can power down the Joggler, remove the stick and take it round to a friend's house to watch old episodes of "Monkey" (or whatever).

Ultimately the choice depends on how you want to use the Joggler.
sampras

Post by sampras »

Just saw buzz note on the previous page so, yes d plus 1 for a Frodo release, please.
AndrewJames

Post by AndrewJames »

Excellent work iLLiac4

finding this the Best / Stable image to date and meets my needs for a media gui on my jogglers
looking forward to your next release with bug fixes and better xsqueeze support already!!
Can i ask, have you included any bluetooth audio drivers into the distro? prehaps Buzz included these in the base image
looking to buy a usb bluetooth dongle rather than a 3.5mm to Bluetooth transmitter ideally
was wondering if anyone had tested these with the various linux distros we have

also found this guide - http://linuxpixies.blogspot.co.uk/2011/ ... thout.html

Update - Reading up and it seems any CSR chipset BT dongle will suffice, the Bluenext BN01 is recommened
it just requires the BlueZ bluetooth stack, do we know if this is supported in the Base image or if its possible to install BlueZ to work with XBMC
I will order one and give it a test in the meantime

thanks

Andrew
rapepper

Post by rapepper »

Thanks for this - giving xbmc a try for the first time since an early version on my hacked xbox :)

One question if I may - I've managed to add TVCatchup and got that working but can't work out a way to quit out of it so have to cut the power. What's the propper way to get back to the main UI?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

If I'm not mistaken, you need to go into configure settings for tvcatchup and tick a couple of boxes to enable touch screen controls - then you should be able to navigate properly. Sorry that I'm not near my joggler so I can't remember exact wording. This thread may help http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =60#p11743 and http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 637#p11327
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

also if you dont have the touchscreen controls set as mentioned and you are stuck in it try press and hold which will cause a right click and can work as "go back" in xbmc.
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

Check the new xsqueeze plugin. It should auto update and in config you must select touch screen support. It has some artifacts but it should work. Also check the original xbmc forum about the progress on xsqueeze.
rapepper

Post by rapepper »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:If I'm not mistaken, you need to go into configure settings for tvcatchup and tick a couple of boxes to enable touch screen controls - then you should be able to navigate properly. Sorry that I'm not near my joggler so I can't remember exact wording. This thread may help http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =60#p11743 and http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 637#p11327

Had poked around the settings but didn't expect to find this on the guide settings tab.
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

I think i have managed to improve the startup of XBMC. It seems now much more stable and if xbmc crashes it starts again by itself but did not have a crash yet :)
If someone would like to try out i can host scripts and write small script so you will basically only run the commands under root account.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I love this os - it's already really stable for me - thank you! Would be happy to try it for you but don't think i'm capable enough. I'd need way too much help!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

iLLiac4 wrote:Check the new xsqueeze plugin. It should auto update and in config you must select touch screen support. It has some artifacts but it should work. Also check the original xbmc forum about the progress on xsqueeze.
Anybody tried this yet? I've still not downloaded the most current version of this os so I've not attempted to use it. Have to admit I feel like a total traitor as I love squeezeplay.

EDIT 8 Nov: I've now updated to the current version of this OS. Xsqueeze doesn't work for me. It can see my other joggler (which has music stored on usb and lms on squeezeplay os) but can't see any of the files.

More importantly, TVCatchup doesn't work. Will check again tomorrow.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Feedback from me:

I've been using v0.8 (on a kingston usb) for quite some time now almost flawlessly. I updated to 0.9. Managed to get internet connection - as iplayer works - but it won't play youtube, tvcatchup and a couple of other addons. The addons are being updated (pop up msg) but unable to load anything. It is also a fair bit slower but that may well be my usb (sandisk - also using an identical one of these for squeezeplay os and so far so good).

I also can't get xsqueeze to work either.

I'm a bit baffled by this. If there was something wrong with the image then others would have said something. Clearly it's something my end. I'm not fussed about rectifying it at this stage as I'll be sticking with the lovely v0.8 but this might be useful for someone else.