Set Joggler IP address - possible?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

Set Joggler IP address - possible?

Post by offbeatdave »

Is it at all possible to fix the Joggler's IP address in the stock (but PnP'd) OS?

I'm connecting wirelessly at the moment and on the odd occasion I need to switch my router off, it re-assigns the IP depending on what order I switch on the dozen or so gadgets that connect to the router! It would make life a little less hassle if it were possible to fix the IP.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
dwl99

Re: Set Joggler IP address - possible?

Post by dwl99 »

The easiest way I found was to do it by MAC address filtering on your router if it supports it. No doubt there's another way via Telnet.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Thanks. May have a go with the MAC address filtering. I too thought there may be a telnet way to do it but hopefully someone far cleverer than I will confirm this one way or the other.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Don't know how to fix IP but with some routers (I have a BT Homehub) you can name devices based on mac address which means you shouldn't then need to know the IP address.

I have mine named joggler1 joggler2 and jr, so in telnet I can just type open joggler1 and it will connect regardless of IP address.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Even if your router uses DHCP you should be able to find a device in your router's administration page and configure it to always use the same IP. I have a Thomson Speedtouch and it's as simple as ticking a box that says "always use the same address for this device" or something similar. My router assigns dynamic IP addresses to other devices but for those that I regularly SSH into (2 Jogglers and an Apple TV2) I've set static ones.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I had hoped for an option in my router's admin page but unfortunately cannot find one in my Belkin router. Looks like MAC filtering may be the only way forward unless anyone can suggest a way of applying a fixed IP to the joggler itself.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

offbeatdave wrote:I had hoped for an option in my router's admin page but unfortunately cannot find one in my Belkin router. Looks like MAC filtering may be the only way forward unless anyone can suggest a way of applying a fixed IP to the joggler itself.
I use the 'bind IP to MAC' feature on my router - there are a couple of devices I have that won't let me set an IP any other way.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)