PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
dwl99

Re: PnP III: Enhance the standard OS - Download & details he

Post by dwl99 »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:
dwl99 wrote:I just flashed my Joggler with the new Openpeak software and everything seems to be working fine. However, I'm running into a problem with PNP III. I have copied the PNP files to the root of a USB stick and rebooted with the stick already inserted. I can telnet in OK but when I type cd /mnt/files I get an error message "can't cd to /mnt/files". I've tried 2 different USB sticks and formatted them with FAT and FAT32 but still with no success. If I put the USB stick in my PC I can see the files folder in the correct place on the root of the stick. Any ideas?
I got the same message when it didn't like my usb. Same for someone else on here who tried loads of sticks before it would work. :)
Ta - stick #3 has worked! The funny thing is the other sticks I used had previously worked OK for the original OS.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

dwl99 wrote:Ta - stick #3 has worked! The funny thing is the other sticks I used had previously worked OK for the original OS.
Weird huh. Glad you got it working!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

@offbeatdave - this is excellent!!! There are a couple of small tweaks I thought I would post -

To add different wallpapers to Squeezeplay start a session with WinSCP and navigate to:
/media/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/SetupWallpaper
Copy the files over then reboot. The wallpapers need to be 480x800 - http://www.wallpaperswide.com/ has plenty to choose from.

The label given to the button that closes Squeezeplay is "Quit" which I find too similar to the one that switches off Squeezeplay but does not close it. To change the Quit button to Exit start a session with WinSCP and navigate to:
/media/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/Quit
Open the strings.txt file, choose the one that matches your favoured language and edit it then save & reboot.

To change the initial location in Google Maps start a session with WinSCP and navigate to:
/openpeak/gui/apps/op_google_maps
Edit content.xml to whatever town or postcode you want and add in custom latitude & longtitude (obtained from Google Maps on your PC) and reboot.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Thanks. Worth jotting down. What I will do eventually is include a text file with the download (and linked here) which has stuff like that in (and instructions for customising YouTube tabs etc).
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

offbeatdave wrote:Thanks. Worth jotting down. What I will do eventually is include a text file with the download (and linked here) which has stuff like that in (and instructions for customising YouTube tabs etc).
Offbeatdave, can I please request that when you do, the instructions are dumbed right down for people like me? Please... otherwise I will have to bombard you with questions. :)
ordessa

Re: PnP III: Screen time...

Post by ordessa »

hi guys..
what control this in PnP III mines defaulting to about 1 min!
frstrating when u are using Iplayer

Steve
offbeatdave

Re: PnP III: Screen time...

Post by offbeatdave »

ordessa wrote:hi guys..
what control this in PnP III mines defaulting to about 1 min!
frstrating when u are using Iplayer

Steve
Try going to the webserver by typing in the Joggler's IP address in a web-browser on a computer on your network and have a look at 'Display Timeout' and see if that is causing the screen off. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to override your chosen setting when using iPlayer so you'll have to set it to something suitable.
offbeatdave

Re: PnP III: v3.045 released

Post by offbeatdave »

The latest version (v3.045) is now available from here. It adds dtnl's beautiful worded clock which has now been tweaked to look great on the Joggler. Many thanks for the effort put into this!

Again, don't bother updating recent versions. Update your existing installation by Telnetting in and enter the following:

Code: Select all

cd /openpeak/gui
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/screensaversupdate.tar
tar xvf screensaversupdate.tar
rm -r screensaversupdate.tar
It looks gorgeous on the Joggler in my study!

EDIT: A couple of pictures, which don't really do it justice.
Last edited by offbeatdave on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Offbeatdave, thanks for recent instructions re updates (improved icons, screensaver clock, getting Dilbert to work, etc) which I have successfully completed. :)
Particularly pleased to restore the "shiny" Logitech icon after roobarb's SqueezePlay update had reset it back to the dull greenish one!

However can I echo ilovemyjoggler's request for instructions to be written in simple idiot.
Whilst I know a lot more now about linux/putty/telnet/SSH than I did a month ago it is frustrating when I reach the limit of what I have picked up from these posts.
For example the recent post (not yours) on setting google maps to home location said "Edit content.xml" which I don't know how to do :(

Don't want to sound too moany because we all appreciate the effort you guys have put in but just want to be able to keep up with you!
Cheers.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Fishy wrote:Offbeatdave, thanks for recent instructions re updates (improved icons, screensaver clock, getting Dilbert to work, etc) which I have successfully completed. :)
Particularly pleased to restore the "shiny" Logitech icon after roobarb's SqueezePlay update had reset it back to the dull greenish one!

However can I echo ilovemyjoggler's request for instructions to be written in simple idiot.
Whilst I know a lot more now about linux/putty/telnet/SSH than I did a month ago it is frustrating when I reach the limit of what I have picked up from these posts.
For example the recent post (not yours) on setting google maps to home location said "Edit content.xml" which I don't know how to do :(

Don't want to sound too moany because we all appreciate the effort you guys have put in but just want to be able to keep up with you!
Cheers.
Yeah, will do eventually (unless someone wants to beat me to it). Bit busy for two or three weeks though so might have to wait until September time.
gegs

Post by gegs »

offbeatdave wrote:The latest version (v3.045) is now available from here. It adds dtnl's beautiful worded clock which has now been tweaked to look great on the Joggler...
Thanks for the clock screensaver update, it's great. I don't want to sound ungrateful but I like the simplicity (and the BIGNESS) of the original clock without the date. Would it be possible to have the choice of both versions as a screensaver?

I know ... you can't have your cake and eat it. But if I could have two slices...
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hi Offbeatdave. Can you please confirm if the previous screensaver clocks are still there (including the original O2 blue one) as well as this new one. I'll be PnPIII'ing my 2nd joggler and may download the newest version of PnPIII instead of the version I have on my teeny tiny lego usb!

As ever, thanks again.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Yeah, all the other screensavers are still there!
jkn

Post by jkn »

gegs wrote:Thanks for the clock screensaver update, it's great. I don't want to sound ungrateful but I like the simplicity (and the BIGNESS) of the original clock without the date. Would it be possible to have the choice of both versions as a screensaver?

I know ... you can't have your cake and eat it. But if I could have two slices...
Hi there - another request for this simple version, if possible, I installed Andrew's original domclock.swf file manually, but it's not quite right on the Joggler as-is:
  • the screensaver doesn't clear the other icons etc. when it becomes active
  • it's a bit too tall - extends below the bottom edge of the screen
  • it's over to the left, instead of eg. being centred.
I'm intrigued by the possibility of writing Flash apps myself, in my 'copious spare time' (hah!) ... this is a nice taster, thanks.

Jon N
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Not important at all, but I've updated the screen shots with clearer versions! Clearly a little bored at the moment!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Fishy wrote:Offbeatdave, thanks for recent instructions re updates (improved icons, screensaver clock, getting Dilbert to work, etc) which I have successfully completed. :)

Cheers.
If you can use telnet or ssh you can use WinSCP! WinSCP is like connecting to your Joggler with ssh but it gives you a graphical interface that lets you open files & folders and copy stuff to and from your PC & Joggler. The left pane is a file explorer which shows your PC's file directory, the right pane shows the Joggler's. You can get it at http://winscp.net/eng/index.php - the username & password is the same as you use for ssh connections, usually letmein and joggler1234. You can edit the content.xml file by right-clicking on it but make sure you drag a copy of it to your PC first as a backup.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Wow! - will give that a shot tonight (unless there's something better on the Olympics!).
Might be able to use that to finally connect Joggler to my router connected external hard drive (which houses all my music) and thus be able to stop using LMS on my PC.

Thanks v much for comprehensive reply and quick response.

:)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Which router connected external hard drive do you have?
aitch

Post by aitch »

Firstly, I must say that the latest version of PNP is brilliant. Thank you offbeatdave.

A couple of things I've noticed ...

The Traffic app was missing, even though the o2_trafficmaster folder is still there. I have re-enabled it myself, but can it be added back into the PnP code?
dwl99 wrote:To change the initial location in Google Maps start a session with WinSCP and navigate to:
/openpeak/gui/apps/op_google_maps
Edit content.xml to whatever town or postcode you want and add in custom latitude & longtitude (obtained from Google Maps on your PC) and reboot.
I did this, but after rebooting the location still shows as Skegness. Is the xml file in another location?
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

dwl99 wrote:Which router connected external hard drive do you have?
It's a LaCie Network Space (http://www.lacie.com/download/datasheet ... ace_en.pdf) connected via ethernet to one of my routers.
It's mapped as L: on all the Windows computers but obviously Linux won't recognise that.
I'm using static IP's for everything Squeezebox and Joggler related.
Unfortunately I'm not sufficiently up the Linux learning curve yet to know how to point the Joggler's LMS at it instead of having to run LMS on a PC which is consequently switched on all the time. :(

Any help would be very gratefully accepted.

Cheers.