Poll : What OS are you running?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.

What OS are you running on your joggler(s)?

Stock O2 OS
31%
Ubuntu
25%
Mint Linux
5%
Android 2.2
20%
JoliOS
5%
Meego
No votes
Other
15%

Total votes: 212

SteveC

Re: Poll : What OS are you running?

Post by SteveC »

Another windows XP here too
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Gosh this thread is still active :-) How nice..

I've moved one joggler to Ubuntu 11.10 and it runs as a NAS with MiniDlna/Samba etc (keeps asking me to upgrade to 12.04 but it aint broke so aint fixing it :-)

the other one is flirting with StockOS and Android... Android "could" be nice, but there are issues with it still... shame..
Angelo
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Was it the ICS Android build you tried? I'm still happily using the 2.2 which has been almost unbreakable.
joggi

Post by joggi »

o2 is my favorite so i used it..
butch_uk

Post by butch_uk »

I'm very happy, in fact delighted with PnP3, it has everything I need for what I use it for, Opera mobile is perfect and the icing on the cake, why the hell didn't 02 put a browser on from the start???

Anyway, I've dabbled with all the available distros including XP, and I've settled for PnP3 as it works and there's no sticky-outy dongle.

Many thanks to everyone involved with PnP3 and the subsequent bug fixers, if that was put on by 02 then it would have been a damn site more popular than it was.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I know this will skew results a bit but I've just changed my 3 options. I'm now using Mint as my hard-disk based distro (changed from Ubuntu), P'n'P III (changed to "Other" from "Stock O2 OS") and still occasionally use Joli OS, although not as much as my kids do (no change).

I think the Mint figures are a bit low, if the forum posts by recent converts are anything to go by.
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
I am using XP at the moment will try others but XP will be my long term os after playing.
As it runs good. The os thats on the joggler is o2 with pnp 3.
Many Thanks
Andrew
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

BuZz wrote:i mostly run jolios (jolicloud), same kernel etc with ubuntu though and xorg on my dists. I don't have stability problems. sometimes the wireless drops and is stubborn but maybe after a week or so at most. stability seems to be ok here.

If you have compiz running it might be worth turning it off on ubuntu. if you get complete freezes, it might be interesting if you are logged in my shell and can get the last stuff mesg throws out.

I admit i haven't yet tried android. I should do and also meego, but I have been spending some time using my jogglers rather than devving which has been nice :)
can I install squeeze play in joliOS? is pptp or 12tp vpn available in JoliOS or can I install it?
thanks
pete

Post by pete »

Here favorite today is Buzz's Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - can do all sorts of things with it.

I am also running XBMC and Squeezebox players using Buzz's base build and lately Openhab, propietary Linux automation stuff, phone stuff, wine, et al.

Many of the automation tablets (well up to 20) are running embedded XP and work well such that they are remote controlled by the mothership. The old mothership is running on Wintel server. The new mothership is running on Ubuntu 64bit 14.04 server while it talks to its underlings running on Linux or Wintel. IE: purchased a few Kinects which will be connected to a few Windows 8.1 mini boxes for Kinect integration to the mothership. Hoping for some linux Kinect integration. (well playing with Linux SAPI but using Wine today for my voice fonts).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
deegy

Post by deegy »

I have now and again upgraded ubuntu the with the last ever XBMC I lost the use the touch screen, luckly with a bit of sshing I moved to kodi (new name for XBMC) and the whole world speeded up and my bedroom joggler is now usable again. I have been looking at doing an Android Lollipop port but this took for ever to download and compile and was very slow in, a vm once the Android x86 team have got going on images I may have another go.

Dg
smithloo

Post by smithloo »

i mostly run jolios, same kernel etc with ubuntu though and xorg on my dists.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

smithloo wrote:i mostly run jolios, same kernel etc with ubuntu though and xorg on my dists.
@smithloo do you have Jolios working on the Joggler

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

hawsey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:07 pm
smithloo wrote:i mostly run jolios, same kernel etc with ubuntu though and xorg on my dists.

Got an old image of it here if you want it.

No idea if it still works!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

roobarb! wrote:
hawsey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:07 pm

Got an old image of it here if you want it.

No idea if it still works!
Thanks Roobarb , I'll grab that later.

You don't happen to have a copy of Linux Mint that Jools used to compile do you ? Mainly for prosperity but it did work great .

Cheers

Gary

Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

hawsey wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:24 pmYou don't happen to have a copy of Linux Mint that Jools used to compile do you ? Mainly for prosperity but it did work great .
Ah, no - I'm afraid not. Did he retire it in favour of Xubuntu? I can't remember. He tends not to quit on stuff (hey, the forum is still here!) so maybe there were problems with it. Hope he's doing okay, not heard anything in a while. Hey, @BuZz, are you okay? :D

You could install the Cinnamon desktop environment on top of the plain Debian release though, it should work if you wanted to use it for something. I've been meaning to test Plasma too, as I now use that as my main Linux desktop given that it's the same as the Steam Deck. Snazzy bit of kit, that.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks @roobarb! my problem is that I'm ok once I have a desktop to play with but I struggle getting to that point unfortunately. I have tried a few times .
A bootable image with basic desktop would be a good send to Linux beginners like myself.

Hamclock is working great off the back of your work and there's about 7 of us at my local Ham radio club now using it which is great thank you , also @Pete who made the bootable image and the chap that initially got it working well on the Joggler . As we all know , these devices are great , they continue to amaze me .

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

One OS not mentioned above was Windows XPe. I run 15 Openpeak devices modded with Seabios, XPe, SSD drives now for many years for my tabletop touchscreens running old Windows stuff like Homeseer Touch and Leviton HAI Omnitouch software. Works great for me.

Totally remote control these devices from mothership Homeseer. The MAC addresses are customized.

These are on 24/7 and screens are off after 9 PM and on again after 9 AM. Lately using side USB port for $13 HA VR device which works well these days.
atom-echo.jpg
Typically they just run the old XP clock screen saver.
clock.jpg
Base XPe. Also running MS SAPI speech fonts for TTS and OpenVPN client (for XP).
Joggler-XPe.jpg
Jogglers.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater