SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:In the next version of SqueezePlay for Joggler, I'll add a reset button into the audio settings so that the asound.conf will be changed to the known-good version.
Would it be possible to add an option to restart LMS? Pretty please!
My Spotify addon periodically fails. It hasn't done so while playing but only after listening to other internet radio streams and going back to Spotify (sometimes it also fails on reboot). Restarting the server fixes the problem but I don't think there's a way to do this on the Joggler itself, although there used to be on gforums' original PnP version of Squeezeplay.
mrw

Post by mrw »

gegs wrote: Would it be possible to add an option to restart LMS? Pretty please!
The 'SrvrPowerCtrl' LMS plugin might do what you want.
gegs

Post by gegs »

mrw wrote:The 'SrvrPowerCtrl' LMS plugin might do what you want.
Thanks. I'll check this out later tonight.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:
roobarb! wrote:In the next version of SqueezePlay for Joggler, I'll add a reset button into the audio settings so that the asound.conf will be changed to the known-good version.
My Spotify addon periodically fails. It hasn't done so while playing but only after listening to other internet radio streams and going back to Spotify (sometimes it also fails on reboot). Restarting the server fixes the problem but I don't think there's a way to do this on the Joggler itself, although there used to be on gforums' original PnP version of Squeezeplay.
Sure, I'll add that. I've just tested it here and it works - it'll be in v1.51 for you. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:
gegs wrote:
Sure, I'll add that. I've just tested it here and it works - it'll be in v1.51 for you. :)
That is fantastic! Thanks roobarb.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

hawsey wrote:Tracks not starting / playing ;
I thought i would give Squeezeplay a go on my Joggler ( i usually use xbmc mint on joggler streaming from Openelec on my Revo at the TV ) .
I booted in to W7 on my Revo last night and installed Logitech Media Server and let it scan my music library whilst i slept
Using PNP III on my Joggler i selected Squeezeplay and all of my music and artwork shows up great and it seems very responsive and nice and simple ;so i tried to play an album and the artwork shows up and looks like it is going to play but the seconds don't tick away and i get no sound .
So i tried Youtube app on PNPIII and the sound is fine .
As there are now 25 pages on this thread i am busy trawling through it and i am sure my answer will be here somewhere (probably on the first post lol)
Any ideas whilst i read the thread ?
Will post back if i find the solution
Cheers
Thanks for the reply Roobarb , after your comments regarding the sound config i remembered the flash script thing on PNPIII after selecting that we had a reboot and then voila , everything seems to work fine now .

I must say i am very impressed by Squeezeplayer on first impressions and compared with XBMC Mint it seems a lot more finger friendly to me .Obviously anyone who has used xbmc knows that it does a lot more than Squeezeplay and i wont be ditching it anytime soon as my HTPC software of choice however i can see it serving my music collection up to my kitchen :D very happy so far .
Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

hawsey wrote:Thanks for the reply Roobarb , after your comments regarding the sound config i remembered the flash script thing on PNPIII after selecting that we had a reboot and then voila , everything seems to work fine now .
Good stuff, and not a problem. :)
hawsey wrote:I must say i am very impressed by Squeezeplayer on first impressions and compared with XBMC Mint it seems a lot more finger friendly to me .Obviously anyone who has used xbmc knows that it does a lot more than Squeezeplay and i wont be ditching it anytime soon as my HTPC software of choice however i can see it serving my music collection up to my kitchen :D very happy so far .
XBMC is far and away the more feature-filled media player, but as you say, SqueezePlay has a much more touch-friendly interface, because that was how it was designed to be used. XBMC didn't have touch in mind when it was created - although I have seen a new skin that looks pretty awesome.

As far as audio goes though, SqueezePlay is certainly my first choice. It's quicker, has a less fussy UI and 'gets out of the way' better, IMHO. ;)

There's a Raspberry Pi sat to my left that's getting some XBMC treatment soon, mind.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:There's a Raspberry Pi sat to my left that's getting some XBMC treatment soon, mind.
You might be interested in my Off Topic post http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=10&t=657
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Lol I have just paid for my pi from farnell today so hopefully will have it soon :-) how long did yours take after ordering?
What xbmc skin was that you speak of?
My dream xbmc setup would be some sort of minimal xbmc os type thing like your Squeezeplay os with a very basic finger friendly GUI with most options disabled a 10 inch GUI not the 10 foot one it currently has :-) .
Dream on lol
Next to try sqeezeplay os again ....... thxthx
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

hawsey wrote:What xbmc skin was that you speak of?
I'm guessing it was this one... http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Touched
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

roobarb! wrote:Just so you know, there are things in PnP3 that will change the asound.conf file, which is the configuration file SqueezePlay relies upon. As I mentioned above, I don't use PnP, so I can't provide support for SqueezePlay when installed via that method (there are just so many things that PnP can do, and I don't have time to learn!). It seems likely to me that the contents of asound.conf aren't what I have tested.
I have no idea where to look for asound.conf so will probably leave well alone. :D
That would be fab. Thank you!

Can I say that squeezeplay (and squeezebox) have changed my life! Had never heard of either before joining the forum but now I have squeezeplay on 2 jogglers, on my internet tv (and I didn't have to do anything to get it there!) and yesterday I downloaded squeezecast on my iphone so I can access all my music without actually having to download any of it onto my phone (obviously this has it's limitations but I only ever get to listen to music when I am at home so it's perfect for me). I am sure that this is just the tip of the iceberg but WOW!!! Roobarb, thank you for squeezeplay. You are brilliant.

On to XMBC - a work in progress for me as I'm still trying to get to grips with exactly what it's capable of and how to use it - like Hawsey I too dream of an easy to use, touch friendly, simple and fast system to run it on. Actually a system on a usb with just xbmc and squeezeplay would be bliss!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just a quick note - if you're using Triode's BBC iPlayer plugin with SqueezePlay, you might notice that radio text has stopped working. To quote Triode on the Squeezebox User Forum...
Triode on Squeezebox User Forum wrote:Looks like the old livetext feed is no longer producing updates - I will need to move the text display to the radiovis server too. I originally didn't do this as the text on the old service was less chatty and seemed more appropriate to me.
RadioVIS is a part of RadioDNS, if you fancy some reading.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Update!

Version 1.51 is now available with some nice new features (particularly for sqpOS users).

The biggest new feature is AirPlay support. If you're running sqpOS v1.05 or higher, you can use your Joggler as an AirPlay audio receiver. There is also now an option to maximise the audio output volume, which is very useful when driving external amplifiers from the Jogglers' audio output jack.

Changelog copied out below:
v1.51 (25th July 2012)
Added option to install AirPlay for audio (using ShairPort) to Additional Features (sqpOS).
Added 'Restart Logitech Media Server' option to Additional Features (sqpOS).
Changed the SSH installer to not require a reboot. Removal will still reboot to terminate connections (sqpOS).
Added version check to the Additional Features applet so we can match up the release version numbers again.
Moved free space check into sqp_JogglerFeatures.sh instead of a separate script.
Added 'Reset to Defaults' option to the Interface Configuration section of JogglerAudio.
Added option to disable the master audio output limit for those using external amplification.
Removed the old asound.conf_mixer configuration as it has been superseded by the _dmix version.
Renamed logpreroller startup script to preptmpfs and added directories for apt.
Tweaked logroller to fire up earlier in the shutdown sequence. Wasn't saving logs.
Added platform check to sqp_JogglerUpdate.sh.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

My god, I need so much help that I appear on most threads...Sorry!

Roobarb! Thanks so much for this update.
Yesterday I downloaded Mint but it wouldn't install squeezeplay at all. I get a tab at the bottom 'Starting Administrav..' then nothing happens. No error messages. I have posted on the Mint thread too but wasn't sure which was the most appropriate so huge apologies to everyone for duplicating. Any ideas?
plm

Post by plm »

Thanks, roobarb!

Did you get to try Wilberforce's backlight-off patch at all? I'm on the standard OpenPeak OS so I haven't tried it myself yet as I haven't got around to figuring out whether I need the busybox install as well.
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by roobarb! »

plm wrote:Thanks, roobarb!

Did you get to try Wilberforce's backlight-off patch at all? I'm on the standard OpenPeak OS so I haven't tried it myself yet as I haven't got around to figuring out whether I need the busybox install as well.
Not sure I've seen that one - could you point me towards the post and I'll investigate?
plm

Post by plm »

roobarb! wrote:

Not sure I've seen that one - could you point me towards the post and I'll investigate?
Check out the last two posts at the bottom of page 24. I thought that was one of the patches you were referring to in your response there, but it may not have been!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

plm wrote:
roobarb! wrote:

Check out the last two posts at the bottom of page 24. I thought that was one of the patches you were referring to in your response there, but it may not have been!
Ahh, no, I didn't apply that patch in the end (although I did apply others, which I think should be credited in the changelog).

I didn't apply the screensaver_powersave patch because I felt it moved the behaviour of the screen standby timer into a screensaver. Screensavers don't normally handle that kind of work (they do something noodly until another service switches off the display) so I didn't think it was quite appropriate to include by default.

Also, I guess I didn't quite understand why the existing Display Standby feature couldn't take this roll... although, I suppose you may want the display to sleep only when there is no track playing. That would be a perfectly valid use.

I shall consider it again for the next update!
plm

Post by plm »

That sounds fair. The only part I'm interested in different from the Squeezeplay default is that when Squeezeplay kicks in its own 'Screen off' screensaver (which I have enabled in the 'When stopped' mode) I'd like it to also switch off the backlight. Currently the backlight stays on unless Squeezeplay is in a 'power off' state (and then it is switched off), and in a darkened room the backlight on a black screen is really obvious.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

plm wrote:That sounds fair. The only part I'm interested in different from the Squeezeplay default is that when Squeezeplay kicks in its own 'Screen off' screensaver (which I have enabled in the 'When stopped' mode) I'd like it to also switch off the backlight. Currently the backlight stays on unless Squeezeplay is in a 'power off' state (and then it is switched off), and in a darkened room the backlight on a black screen is really obvious.
Yeah, that patch tries to replicate that functionality. So that the 'Screen off' screensaver turns the screen off (like you would expect :D). I think you may need an updated busybox on the original OS (from the stock one) for patch, but I can upload a tarball of my squeezeplay directory if you like. I'm not sure if the patch will still apply cleanly :D