Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
speculatrix

Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by speculatrix »

I just tried the minimal btfs image on my joggler and had some odd problems. I couldn't get eth0 to work, even when setting a manual IP address, and when I added an additional partition to the usb stick it wouldn't boot any more.
I'm just trying the xubuntu btrfs image to see if it's better.

--edit--

it wasn't stable either, so I tar'd off the btrfs partition, reformatted to ext4, restored the files and changed fstab, and it booted ok, hopefully I'll have more luck. I think this joggler is unwell anyway because when I was running a previous ubuntu image it would sometimes lock up, and I know the image was fine because it ran on my other joggler without a problem.
this one is one I have modded to add another USB socket, a flying lead made by chopping a usb extension cable, it simply dangles out the edge with a dab of hot glue to act as anchor and grommit, with a basic four port USB hub connected, so perhaps that's part of the problem :-(
quentin

Post by quentin »

I recently acquired a new Joggler (after the touch screen failed on the old one), and tried to use the 12.04 image. The image boots correctly, but the framebuffer appears to be misconfigured. It looks like it's using the wrong timings for the display - each line of text is warped as though the hsync is wrong. Is there a simple place I can tweak the LCD timings?

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but X appears to die about 5 minutes after it starts. (Though everything looks fine until that happens.)

Thanks,
--Quentin
speculatrix

Post by speculatrix »

I just extracted the kernel and installed it on my Fujitsu U2010 micro netbook and immediately noticed that it fixed a previous problem with Xorg starting up incorrectly - the split screen/wrap-over one.

I just need to fix up a few drivers (the U2010 aka U820 uses atheros a/b/g/n) and it'll be a great step forwards!

Thanks!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

quentin wrote:I recently acquired a new Joggler (after the touch screen failed on the old one), and tried to use the 12.04 image. The image boots correctly, but the framebuffer appears to be misconfigured. It looks like it's using the wrong timings for the display - each line of text is warped as though the hsync is wrong. Is there a simple place I can tweak the LCD timings?

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but X appears to die about 5 minutes after it starts. (Though everything looks fine until that happens.)

Thanks,
--Quentin
do you mean when exiting X the framebuffer looks wrong? that is an emgd driver bug - happens on exit (and switching away from X)
quentin

Post by quentin »

BuZz wrote:
quentin wrote:I recently acquired a new Joggler (after the touch screen failed on the old one), and tried to use the 12.04 image. The image boots correctly, but the framebuffer appears to be misconfigured. It looks like it's using the wrong timings for the display - each line of text is warped as though the hsync is wrong. Is there a simple place I can tweak the LCD timings?

Thanks,
--Quentin
do you mean when exiting X the framebuffer looks wrong? that is an emgd driver bug - happens on exit (and switching away from X)
No, the framebuffer looks wrong before X even starts (e.g. during the boot process). It even looks wrong with the base image that doesn't have X.

--Quentin
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

quentin wrote: No, the framebuffer looks wrong before X even starts (e.g. during the boot process). It even looks wrong with the base image that doesn't have X.

--Quentin
Certainly doesn't happen on my jogglers. strange - perhaps related to new grub bootloader or something ? Can't see what else could have changed to affect that.
quentin

Post by quentin »

BuZz wrote:
quentin wrote: No, the framebuffer looks wrong before X even starts (e.g. during the boot process). It even looks wrong with the base image that doesn't have X.

--Quentin
Certainly doesn't happen on my jogglers. strange - perhaps related to new grub bootloader or something ? Can't see what else could have changed to affect that.
I noticed that this Joggler has a slightly different OpenPeak logo on boot. It might have a different version of the bootloader, which might initialize the display differently. Are there any display parameters that can be tweaked?

Are the older versions of Ubuntu available somewhere to compare against?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

quentin wrote:
BuZz wrote:

--Quentin
I noticed that this Joggler has a slightly different OpenPeak logo on boot. It might have a different version of the bootloader, which might initialize the display differently. Are there any display parameters that can be tweaked?

not that I know of at this stage in the boot - Grub/Linux uses the EFI framebuffer.

maybe you could experiment and flash efi from another joggler ? (slightly dangerous though perhaps) I could dig out an older image for you perhaps, or at least build one - I dont keep the images but I keep the filesystem data.
speculatrix

Post by speculatrix »

I was tweaking the config for the joggler kernel and I noticed that kernel debugging is enabled, it's worth turning it off for production builds.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

only some stuff is turned on in there though, and some of it is very useful. I don't build with debugging symbols etc.
quentin

Post by quentin »

BuZz wrote:
quentin wrote:
BuZz wrote: Certainly doesn't happen on my jogglers. strange - perhaps related to new grub bootloader or something ? Can't see what else could have changed to affect that.

not that I know of at this stage in the boot - Grub/Linux uses the EFI framebuffer.

maybe you could experiment and flash efi from another joggler ? (slightly dangerous though perhaps) I could dig out an older image for you perhaps, or at least build one - I dont keep the images but I keep the filesystem data.
Oh, it's using the EFI framebuffer? Then yeah, I think I blame the firmware. I'm afraid I don't have another working Joggler to copy it from - are EFI images available somewhere online?

--Quentin
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have some "O2" branded efi images - but I don't know for sure that it would work if your hardware has some differences or so - eg the screen etc.
quentin

Post by quentin »

BuZz wrote:I have some "O2" branded efi images - but I don't know for sure that it would work if your hardware has some differences or so - eg the screen etc.
I just noticed that the hardware says OpenPeak on the back where they usually say O2. I feel like this might be not-quite-a-Joggler?

--Quentin
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

quick question all,

I have a joggler running the xubuntu 11.10 release. its running as a fileserver, squeezebox server etc, and all working fantastically.. The joggler is now pestering me to upgrade the distro to 12.04, is it safe to do it? or will it break things?

I was just about to make a backup of my USB Stick anyway but I thought id ask..

Angelo
Angelo
gegs

Post by gegs »

Buzz suggests installing his latest images rather than updating automatically to the new release on the Joggler. There are several tales of woe from people who've tried to update this way.

Usually package updates on the Joggler are OK but distro updates are a potential minefield, so you'd be best to backup any important data and install the latest image from BuZz. I know it will be a PITA to set up and re-configure everything again but it's the safest way.
asantaga

Post by asantaga »

gegs wrote:Buzz suggests installing his latest images rather than updating automatically to the new release on the Joggler. There are several tales of woe from people who've tried to update this way.

Usually package updates on the Joggler are OK but distro updates are a potential minefield, so you'd be best to backup any important data and install the latest image from BuZz. I know it will be a PITA to set up and re-configure everything again but it's the safest way.
thanks, thats what I thought.. ..... Im gonna leave it on Xubuntu 11.10.. it works, not fixing it :-) I might need to upgrade squeezeplayer though
Angelo
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

upgrading automatically is tricky due to the complicated mix of packages although it "might" work from 12.04 to the next release as xorg is pinned which wasn't before. depends on 12.10 dependencies when it's out etc.

rsyncing your home folder elsewhere and the rsyncing it back to a new image should work fine though - and any other settings etc.
bluesign2k

Post by bluesign2k »

I'm having issues with the latest images for both Xubuntu and Mint....

I use a USB mouse with my Joggler (because the touchscreen is frustratingly inaccurate) which is connected through an additional USB port from one of the spare ones on the PCB. However, when the mouse is plugged in and I press a key on the on screen keyboard (using either the mouse or touchscreen), the key repeats indefinitely until X crashes and then eventually dumps me at a login screen. As I said, this happens with both the latest Xubuntu and Mint images. If I unplug the mouse all is fine again, but I don't really see that as a good solution. I've tried a number of mice and they all do the same. I also tried the old images and they work fine.

Any ideas? In case it makes a difference, I'm using the ext4 images.

Chris
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

bluesign2k wrote:I'm having issues with the latest images for both Xubuntu and Mint....

I use a USB mouse with my Joggler (because the touchscreen is frustratingly inaccurate) which is connected through an additional USB port from one of the spare ones on the PCB. However, when the mouse is plugged in and I press a key on the on screen keyboard (using either the mouse or touchscreen), the key repeats indefinitely until X crashes and then eventually dumps me at a login screen. As I said, this happens with both the latest Xubuntu and Mint images. If I unplug the mouse all is fine again, but I don't really see that as a good solution. I've tried a number of mice and they all do the same. I also tried the old images and they work fine.

Any ideas? In case it makes a difference, I'm using the ext4 images.
could be an issue with the on screen keyboard - it had some problems before with key repeats. the X crashing is I think driver issue, which I have seen triggered before when using the terminal etc. Unfortunately I don't have any free time at present to look into this. you could try using "onboard" instead of florence and see if that helps ?

just to check, when using the new images, you tested with a fresh install, without for example any old user directory files etc?
quentin

Post by quentin »

BuZz wrote:I have some "O2" branded efi images - but I don't know for sure that it would work if your hardware has some differences or so - eg the screen etc.
I poked at this some more. Where can I find the "fh" module that you need to access the EFI? Your Ubuntu doesn't appear to include it.

I tried booting a Debian Squeeze image that worked fine on my first Joggler, and it failed with a kernel BUG related to the EFI clock (full error at https://gist.github.com/3202455). The machine kept booting, but all sorts of stuff was broken (like X). Have you seen that error before?

The graphics appear to be fine for grub; they only break when it gets to the kernel. I put a video of 2.6.33.5 booting at http://youtu.be/A8H-xAODc3Y but your latest Xubuntu 12.04 image does the same thing.

Thanks,
--Quentin