New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gshackel

Re: New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

Post by gshackel »

Is there a way to get telnet or ssh working again after the latest OpenPeak firmware update? It doesn't seem like the USB update feature is enabled by default in the latest OpenPeak firmware and telnet seems to be disabled also.
gegs

Post by gegs »

This topic has been covered quite a lot recently in this forum. Use the search facility, it's rather good, but to paraphrase, telnet, not SSH as far as I'm aware, is available in the latest Openpeak update; username is root and there is no password.
jogglingbottoms

Post by jogglingbottoms »

rjdavies47 wrote:
BuZz wrote:I made a 400mb image of the openpeak flash image - ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/joggler/fi ... -14.img.gz - for those with small usb sticks.
BuZz,

Thanks for all the work that you do in support of us and our Jogglers. I have written your "small" image file to a Kingston DataTraveler 2GB USB stick and in Windows Explorer I can see that there are 11 files on it using 110MB of space. When I plug it into my Joggler and switch it on the O2 screen appears and the data activity light on the USB stick flashes for about 10 seconds and then nothing else happens. All I see is the O2 screen.

Is there anything else that I can do to start the re-flashing process?

Richard
I have exactly the same problem as Richard, albeit with the large image file rather than the small one. If anyone has any other suggestions as to a resolution to this problem they would be welcomed. I have also tried numerous USB sticks without success.

jogglingbottoms
listerdude

Post by listerdude »

New here but I've had my joggler for years..it's been left doing nothing for sometime but today I found out a new update was available. So I just downloaded it and put it on a 4gb usb stick but when I boot into the joggleer with the stick in it remains stuck in the black O2 screen...how long does the update take to install??

Edit...just tried another usb drive that worked..sothen I tried PnPIII now It's stuck on a blank screen after showing the openpeak splash screen. help
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi all
hijacking the thread slightly perhaps, but i'mnot sure if it's worth starting another one for this...

My PNP III Joggler now fails to boot - it sits there at the OpenPeak logo. It's the second time this has occured in a couple of months.

I'm resigned to reflashing etc, but I am a bit concerned that this has happened again.

One thing - I don't leave my joggler on 24/7, but switch it off at the mains when not in use.

I ...tend... to navigate to the home screen and ensure that there is no audio output before I do this, but not 100% of the time.

Any thoughts on whether this might make things a bit susceptible to boot failure?

Cheers, Jon N
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I think that too many power on/off cycles can eventually corrupt the internal memory. Some Jogglers seem more robust than others too.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi Dave
offbeatdave wrote:I think that too many power on/off cycles can eventually corrupt the internal memory. Some Jogglers seem more robust than others too.
Thanks - yeah, it seems that way.

FWIW I remembered to fish out my mains Power Meter when reflashing this time. It looks like the PSU draws around 9W in general use (haven't checked when running a USB DAC, which is what I use normally. This is probably about right - approx 5W for the Joggler, 4W for PSU inefficiency.

Just wanted to get a figure when considering leaving the Joggler on 24/7

Cheers
J^n
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

offbeatdave wrote:I think that too many power on/off cycles can eventually corrupt the internal memory. Some Jogglers seem more robust than others too.
Were jogglers designed to be left on 24/7 then?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Yes. The original instructions also said so if I remember correctly.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
jkn

Post by jkn »

offbeatdave wrote:Yes. The original instructions also said so if I remember correctly.
to me, there's a difference between 'capable of being left on 24/7' (ie. low power, standby operation, etc.), and 'may fail if not left on 24/7' (ie. if switched off periodically). I think the former was implied; if it's the latter that is actually the case (perhaps due to a design flaw; no powerfail interrupt to cause graceful shutdown?) I will be a little narked.

Oh well, good to know other people have also had this.

Cheers, Jon N
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

It happens, and it seems to be power surge related. My kitchen joggler has its transformer next to the transformer for the powered speakers it uses, sometimes if I switch the speakers on after the joggler it just freezes. fails and has to be re-flashed.
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Echo that...mines too close to my cooker hood...when that turns off..sometimes I kill my Joggler!
Magnets

Post by Magnets »

Have they stopped issuing this update OTA? My joggler says "no update available".

Currently running 26635.S3 (June 25 2010)
multiplex

Post by multiplex »

If you go back through this topic you'll find a link to download an image that can deliver the latest update from a USB stick.

UPDATE: Here you go: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 836#p10836
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just to let you know, I've updated the SSH / SCP enabler so that it works with this version of the native OS again. You need to run one command over telnet first, but after that it works just as before. :)

I'll get around to updating the SqueezePlay installer and update disabler at some point too.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I've decided to do a little 'tidy' of this OpenPeak firmware image. The third partition as provided by the 30291 firmware is unused; it used to contain an earlier version of the OS for backup purposes, but I've never known it to work properly and it appears to have been ditched. In essence, that means 256MB of the 1GB internal storage is wasted and sat there empty.

What I've done is to take the v30291 OpenPeak firmware from this thread and made a few changes, re-versioning it as v30300. I'm going to release it as an alternative to this version, to be applied using the reflash tool (see sig). This is what has changed:

• Removed the empty backup partition (mmcblk0p3).
  • Allocated the recovered space to the /media partition (mmcblk0p4).
  • Disabled firmware updates from OpenPeak.
  • Enabled SSH and SCP by default.
  • Added 'setpasswd' command for easily changing the default password.
  • Enables the 'update from USB stick' feature that was removed.
Other than that, everything is the same as this version. I'm toying with making a 'thin' version as well, with all of the games stripped out... But I don't know if anyone wants that, so I'll probably not bother until some people shout for it.

The new thread for it is here.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Looks one of my Jogglers is off the bin...
on reflash all I get is the O2 logo... forever... such a shame...
Any bright ideas?? This is using the normal birds-like-wires... tried and trusted... no issues when it adds the system..
but on reboot... I get the dreaded O2 logo again.

Wondering if I can boot an Os off a flash disk instead - rather than bin it... I've just tried the Squeezeplayer INTERNAL version and its not playing either...
I might try the flash version
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

HOLD the fort...- I've got a Squeezebox player Joggler now...- it was one last attempt... boot with the non MMC Squieezeplayer OS and I get a boot screen... Wooo hooo

:-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

I have the same problem with one of my Jogglers but it is still performing very well running Squeezeplay OS from a stick. I also use a Behringer UCA202 soundcard and have optical S/PDIF out to my amplifier. It is a fantastic web radio addition to my hi-fi setup and I've hardly bought an album since setting it up - I mostly listen to web radio or Spotify.

If you want more than a single use Joggler, use one of BuZz's linux distros but I'd recommend using a bluetooth mouse with it. The menus on some programs can be damned difficult to navigate with a finger. Or use Android which is built for fingers.

You can apparently unbrick the EFI chip if you have another working Joggler but this is outside my comfort zone so I've never tried it.
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Recover ... ricked_EFI

In short, it's still a very useful machine even if you can't load the Openpeak OS anymore.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

if there is an issue with the EFI, but it still boots from usb stick, it is possible to reflash from a working EFI image. In this case it could be EFI, or it could be deaded internal flash (although I would have thought reflashing would have failed then).