Squeezebox Touch for 153.00GBP

Non Joggler related discussion.
dwl99

Squeezebox Touch for 153.00GBP

Post by dwl99 »

I'm mighty tempted by the offer of a Squeezebox Touch (blemished box) at the Logitech website http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/736/7348?ci=0 using the code bjmwq6gby

It's 169.00GBP but there is a potential 9% back with Quidco which makes it around 153.00GBP. This might sound like heresy but I've been getting kinda tired of reflashing Jogglers cos the internal memory has gone t*ts up again.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Squeezebox Touch for 153.00GBP

Post by BuZz »

I guess that's not too bad a deal.

In regards to the joggler - why not just use a tiny usb stick or microsd adapter. with the microsd adapter you would hardly see em (also with some usb sticks only stick out a few mm). I use a usb stick that sticks out maybe 1.5cm but its looks quite ok to me. I don't use the internal flash at all, and have had no problems - in fact even my first usb sticks are still going despite many rewrites - so I guess they have reasonable wear levelling.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Yes, I alternate between Ubuntu & the native OS but I found that the native OS was a bit quicker & more finger-friendly. I have a right-angled USB lead so the size of the memory stick (I use an SD card in a card reader) isn't an issue. Jolicloud would have been almost as good if Squeezeplay could have been added to the front panel but I understand that it cannot be.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

dwl99 wrote:Yes, I alternate between Ubuntu & the native OS but I found that the native OS was a bit quicker & more finger-friendly. I have a right-angled USB lead so the size of the memory stick (I use an SD card in a card reader) isn't an issue. Jolicloud would have been almost as good if Squeezeplay could have been added to the front panel but I understand that it cannot be.
you can add it to local apps, so its only two presses away then. You could also add it to the top bar or something I guess.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dwl99 wrote:This might sound like heresy but I've been getting kinda tired of reflashing Jogglers cos the internal memory has gone t*ts up again.
If you can put up with that eeny-weeny screen, go for it! ;)

You know you'll be hacking it after 20 minutes. :D
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Yes, the screen size is a bit of a turn-off! I reckon I'll stick with my Jogglers & try to use them with USB drives to avoid wearing out the internal flash. It would be good if someone knew how to replicate the native OS onto a USB stick.
holmes

Post by holmes »

Hi,

I 've just discovered the Joggler (I live in France) and am thinking about trying to get one. I am a bit puzzled by your comment about the fact it needs constant reflashing. Is it something that happens because of hacking or does it happens for unmodified devices as well? Is there a way to prevent this (even when using non standard applications (squeezeplay, ...))?

Thanks.

Holmes
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

That was an exaggeration :-) - I had a Joggler that developed a fault with its internal flash memory. I can wholeheartedly recommend getting one but running Ubuntu on it from a USB stick.