Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.

Post by BuZz »

Ubuntu for the O2 Joggler is available for download from http://jwills.co.uk/projects/joggler-xubuntu/
Please use this thread for discussion/support relating to the image.

Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty LTS
The latest version of the image is v1.6 released on the 02/02/2017

Ubuntu 14.04 Base/Server Trusty LTS
The latest version of the image is v1.6 released on the 02/02/2017
cbredfred

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick ) for the O2 Joggler.

Post by cbredfred »

Has anyone managed to get Squeezeplay to play sound through any kind of USB sound card with the latest build of this software.
I can get all other media software to use my USB sound card except Squeezeplay.
deathsatan

Post by deathsatan »

bugs report:
1. wifi cannot work with my router ( hidden SSID , no encryption. connection is okay at the 1th time, and its never work again. failed failed failed ethernet :x ).
2. crashes every time i change the system language setting.

greeting from china! :mrgreen:
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

cbredfred wrote:Has anyone managed to get Squeezeplay to play sound through any kind of USB sound card with the latest build of this software.
Yes, it's just that SqueezePlay is a bit finicky about it's audio settings. The easiest way is to create an /etc/asound.conf file that points to your USB audio device. For example:

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}
You can identify the card number of your device using

cat /proc/asound/cards
This has one downside, in that it is system-wide and bypasses any kind of audio mixer, meaning only one application can access the audio system at a time (so if SQP is running you won't get audio from any other apps). There's likely to be a way around this, but as audio from one app is exactly what I'm after I've never invested the time!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

deathsatan wrote:bugs report:
1. wifi cannot work with my router ( hidden SSID , no encryption. connection is okay at the 1th time, and its never work again. failed failed failed ethernet :x ).

wireless - you could try commenting out the blacklist line in /etc/modprobe.d/joggler.conf and using the other driver (That is generally less compatible but may do better in your specific case). it might be worth trying some different settings on your router and see if you can make them work better together.

Unsure about system language, will have a look.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I'm trying to set up openssh server on my Joggler's Ubuntu 10.10 so that I can copy files over via winscp. I installed it with Synaptic and had a look in the config file but cannot see how to set a password or how to allow winscp to connect. I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious. Can anyone help? Thanks.
deathsatan

Post by deathsatan »

BuZz wrote:
deathsatan wrote:bugs report:

wireless - you could try commenting out the blacklist line in /etc/modprobe.d/joggler.conf and using the other driver (That is generally less compatible but may do better in your specific case). it might be worth trying some different settings on your router and see if you can make them work better together.

Unsure about system language, will have a look.
im sure the router settings are all okay, all my wireless devices are working well, and my jog cannot work with my friends' router ( also hidden SSID , no encryption).
btw: 1.wifi can work every 1st time i run ubuntu 10.10 (just finished the image file writting on USB stick)
2.the officially original firmware ("tango?" in ubuntu7) has no such problem.

one more question, why does jogs wifi has no mac address? is that the reason i cannot link jog to wireless network?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

It's not that your settings are wrong, but since the Joggler doesn't seem to like it, you could tweak it perhaps and see if changing them helps - for example experimenting with encryption modes / wireless b/g or just g / changing the channel / making non hidden ssid.
the wifi should have a mac address - what does "ifconfig" say. the built in ethernet doesnt have a mac address. my distributions choose a random one on first boot, and then save it for future boots. you can set it to whatever you like by putting the mac address in /etc/network/joggler-eth
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

dwl99 wrote:I'm trying to set up openssh server on my Joggler's Ubuntu 10.10 so that I can copy files over via winscp. I installed it with Synaptic and had a look in the config file but cannot see how to set a password or how to allow winscp to connect. I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious. Can anyone help? Thanks.
the default password for the joggler user is "joggler". to change the password on the joggler use the "passwd" command.
you can install ssh server with "apt-get install openssh-server" or install that from the gui.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks, I had already tried joggler as a password but it didn't occur to me to use it as a username too! All working fine now.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Bit of an odd one here, BuZz - I've got a Joggler that won't accept the MAC address given to it by your startup script. The /etc/network/joggler-eth file has one MAC address (00:92:08:ca:6a:f4), but the one reported by ifconfig is completely different (da:be:df:2e:36:98). If I issue:

ip link set eth0 address 00:92:08:ca:6a:f4
Then it does set it correctly, but something seems to be overriding it on startup. This is on your latest image - v1.6.1. :|
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

roobarb! wrote:
cbredfred wrote:Has anyone managed to get Squeezeplay to play sound through any kind of USB sound card with the latest build of this software.
Yes, it's just that SqueezePlay is a bit finicky about it's audio settings. The easiest way is to create an /etc/asound.conf file that points to your USB audio device. For example:

pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}
ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}
You can identify the card number of your device using

cat /proc/asound/cards
This has one downside, in that it is system-wide and bypasses any kind of audio mixer, meaning only one application can access the audio system at a time (so if SQP is running you won't get audio from any other apps). There's likely to be a way around this, but as audio from one app is exactly what I'm after I've never invested the time!

Thank you for the reply Roobarb.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the asound.conf file is operating system wide and so effects all sounds from all applications???
I have the exact contents in my asound.conf file that you listed above and that is why all the sounds from Rhythmbox, XBMC and all the sounds from the OS are played throught the USB sound card.....EXCEPT SQUEEZEPLAY!
So I ask again, has anyone got a USB sound card playing music from the Squeezeplay software that is included in the btrfs compressed version of Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) (Joggler Image v1.6.1 - 24/02/2011)?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

roobarb! wrote:Bit of an odd one here, BuZz - I've got a Joggler that won't accept the MAC address given to it by your startup script. The /etc/network/joggler-eth file has one MAC address (00:92:08:ca:6a:f4), but the one reported by ifconfig is completely different (da:be:df:2e:36:98). If I issue:

ip link set eth0 address 00:92:08:ca:6a:f4
Then it does set it correctly, but something seems to be overriding it on startup. This is on your latest image - v1.6.1. :|
tried with a new image just to make sure nothing bad happened to the one its running off ?

there is joggler-eth.conf in /etc/init/ ? if the mac isnt set and you do "sudo start joggler-eth" does it set it ?

what's in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I keep having a problem with applets disappearing from the top panel. When I boot the Joggler I often get an error message saying that an applet (e.g. clock, notification area) could not be found & suggesting that I delete it. Anyone else get this? I just need to keep adding them back to the panel.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Did you shutdown cleanly? perhaps something crashed. Might also be worth doing a filesystem check.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks - can you help with which fsck commands to run? I'm a bit hazy after having had a look on the Ubuntu forums. I haven't had any crashes or freezing of the OS.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

if you are running ext4 do "sudo touch /forcefsck" and it should check on the next boot.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

sorry, should have said, I have the Btrfs compressed version...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i dont know what the problem might be. maybe there is something in the logs. Im working on an update now with a newer btrfs and lzo compression. tis much quicker. maybe it will work better for you.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Still building images currently but if anyone wants to test a new image with the new brtfs + lzo compression

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/ubunt ... com.img.gz

PS. the images are built on this server, that has rather poor disk io, so sorry if I slow the forum down a bit ;-)