SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & SQPOS)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
rebelrebelzs

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by rebelrebelzs »

Hi Folks

I've just started using Squeezeplay on my Joggler and am well-impressed. As the proud owner of
a couple of Squeezebox Radios, I was chuffed to see how similar the interfaces are and set about
configuring and storing my favourite stations etc,

Just one minor query that I haven't resolved. When I've finished listening, I can select
"Turn Off SqueezePlay" which reverts the display to the large black Squeezebox Digital
clock (as you would expect and which is fine) However I can't seem to turn it back on
again other than by pressing the 'ghost' on/off button that appears in the top left corner
when you touch the screen anywhere. Unfortunately this has the effect of quitting
Squeezeplay altogether, meaning a re-launch to start using it again.

Am I missing something obvious?

Also occasionally when in the Squeezeplay clock/standby mode ths display sometimes goes
off completely leaving a blank/black screen, however a a touch of the screen does bring
back the Squeezeplay clock/standby screen

Any ideas? Thanks for any help

rebelrebelzs
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

what are you running it on? Stock os, pnp3, ubuntu, squeezeos? On pnp3 the power button is set to exit the app completely.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
rebelrebelzs

Post by rebelrebelzs »

Thanks for responding Dave

I'm running through PnP III which as you've said will explain why it quits completely.
No problem however, I can live with that - just pleased to have my Joggler back to
being useful again and actually improved with the addition of Squeezeplay :)

Cheers

rebelrebelzs
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

rebelrebelzs wrote:Thanks for responding Dave

I'm running through PnP III which as you've said will explain why it quits completely.
No problem however, I can live with that - just pleased to have my Joggler back to
being useful again and actually improved with the addition of Squeezeplay :)

Cheers

rebelrebelzs
The original configuration should be backed up. I haven't tried this yet but try this via telnet:

Code: Select all

mv /media/archives/JiveMain.luaorig /media/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua
chmod a+x /media/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua
If this works then my version can be restored in future with

mv /media/archives/JiveMain.luamod /media/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua
chmod a+x /media/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/jive/JiveMain.lua
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Hi roobarb,

Is there a logfile that squeezeplay writes to?

It has crashed on me twice since I started trying it on xubuntu 12.04.

Thanks,
John
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote:Is there a logfile that squeezeplay writes to?

There was, but I disabled it a little while ago because it hadn't been much use.

If you want to log, just add...

> /tmp/squeezeplay.log
...to the end of the line that starts Jive in /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh for whichever OS you are running on. That will redirect the output to that file. Oh, and if it's crashing, you may find a file in the same location called 'gmon.out'. That might be useful to you.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
plm

Post by plm »

Is there a way to get SqueezePlay to switch off the backlight when the 'Screen off' screensaver kicks in?

Currently it blanks the screen but leaves the backlight switched on. The backlight only seems to switch off when the player itself is in the off mode.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

roobarb! wrote:
johnnygal wrote:Is there a logfile that squeezeplay writes to?

There was, but I disabled it a little while ago because it hadn't been much use.

If you want to log, just add...

> /tmp/squeezeplay.log
...to the end of the line that starts Jive in /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh for whichever OS you are running on. That will redirect the output to that file. Oh, and if it's crashing, you may find a file in the same location called 'gmon.out'. That might be useful to you.
Thanks for that.
I have redirected standard output and error to a temp file but it stays at zero filesize.

What I did find was this in the syslog file:
May 18 13:37:35 joggler squeezeplay: _pcm_open:638 Unable to set buffer time Invalid argument
May 18 13:37:35 joggler squeezeplay: pcm_close:536 snd_pcm_drain error: Input/output error
May 18 13:37:35 joggler squeezeplay: _pcm_open:638 Unable to set buffer time Invalid argument
May 18 13:37:35 joggler squeezeplay: audio_thread_execute:822 Playback open failed: Invalid argument
May 18 13:37:35 joggler kernel: jive_alsa[2047]: segfault at b7757ffc ip b74d61d6 sp bfeac020 error 4 in libc-2.15.so[b745e000+19f000]
Does this give any clues?

Environment:
This is running on xubuntu 12.04. At first, there was no sound from squeezeplay until buzz suggested moving the /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d so it wouldn't get picked up (see thread http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 6&start=60, post at May 15 11:37).
I have a LMS plugin that interrupts the current playlist to add an MP3 file to be played immediately. This works fine on the two other squeezeplay installations I have (your own squeezeplay OS and squeezeplay on UNR 9.10).
The MP3 file is mono, birate 32 kbps, sample rate 22050. Unfortunately I cannot change this.

I tried running gprof on the gmon.out but I am not too familiar with interpreting the profiling data. I thought it might show a nice stackdump but cannot see this.
Cheers.
mrw

Post by mrw »

johnnygal wrote:Environment:
This is running on xubuntu 12.04.
Long shot: Wouldn't be 32bit/64bit library issues, would it ? Joggler is a 32 bit system.
You don't indicate whether you're running a 32bit or 64bit version. I have heard that a 64bit system may require additional 32bit library support, but I have no practical knowledge or experience.

Post script:
I suppose you're running this on a Joggler :) Not a useful thought, then.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

mrw wrote:
johnnygal wrote:Environment:
This is running on xubuntu 12.04.
Long shot: Wouldn't be 32bit/64bit library issues, would it ? Joggler is a 32 bit system.
You don't indicate whether you're running a 32bit or 64bit version. I have heard that a 64bit system may require additional 32bit library support, but I have no practical knowledge or experience.

Post script:
I suppose you're running this on a Joggler :) Not a useful thought, then.
Thanks for the thought anyway :D
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote:

May 18 13:37:35 joggler squeezeplay: _pcm_open:638 Unable to set  buffer time Invalid argument
May 18 13:37:35 joggler squeezeplay: pcm_close:536 snd_pcm_drain error: Input/output error
May 18 13:37:35 joggler squeezeplay: _pcm_open:638 Unable to set  buffer time Invalid argument
May 18 13:37:35 joggler squeezeplay: audio_thread_execute:822 Playback open failed: Invalid argument
May 18 13:37:35 joggler kernel: jive_alsa[2047]: segfault at b7757ffc ip b74d61d6 sp bfeac020 error 4 in libc-2.15.so[b745e000+19f000]
I wonder if this is a compiler version issue. At the moment SqueezePlay binaries are compiled on an Ubuntu 8.04 system to maintain compatibility with the Joggler's native OS. Running these binaries on everything else so far has not been an issue, but perhaps Precise is just one step too far.

Owing to massive HDD fail today I have had no chance to look into this. I need to recreate my build environment for SqueezePlay now that they've moved to using Git instead of SVN, then shift over to Precise and try a build on there. I'll try to look at this next week.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Fifteen days ago I posted that there were now 100 unique Jogglers running SqueezePlay for Joggler.

Today, we've nudged over 250. Good grief! :)
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

roobarb! wrote:
johnnygal wrote:

I wonder if this is a compiler version issue. At the moment SqueezePlay binaries are compiled on an Ubuntu 8.04 system to maintain compatibility with the Joggler's native OS. Running these binaries on everything else so far has not been an issue, but perhaps Precise is just one step too far.
mmm, maybe so.
Owing to massive HDD fail today I have had no chance to look into this. I need to recreate my build environment for SqueezePlay now that they've moved to using Git instead of SVN, then shift over to Precise and try a build on there. I'll try to look at this next week.
Unlucky with the HDD there.
No problems. I'm still evaluating 12.04 to see whether to use it as a platform for squeezeplay, so no hurry at all.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

roobarb! wrote:Fifteen days ago I posted that there were now 100 unique Jogglers running SqueezePlay for Joggler.

Today, we've nudged over 250. Good grief! :)
Wow! It's such a great app, that's no wonder.
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

I've just installed PnP III and seen that SqueezePlay is included. I've been connecting to my Linkstation NAS through native connect & play, but was hoping SqueezePlay would give me more control over FF & RW than the native apps but I can't see how to use SqueezePlay or LMS to connect to the Linkstation. Is there a way to do this without altering the Linkstation? I'm extremely reluctant to mess with my Buffalo.

Thanks
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

Small bug fix for skin. Fixes elapsed time turning black after long duration when playing radio station.

Usage (from squeezeplay root):
patch -p1 < [path to patch]/0001-Added-style-smallElapsed-for-without-slider-display.patch.txt
Attachments
0001-Added-style-smallElapsed-for-without-slider-display.patch.txt
fix black elapsed time
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by roobarb! »

Wilberforce wrote:Small bug fix for skin. Fixes elapsed time turning black after long duration when playing radio station.
You star! I'm applying that one ASAP - always bugs me, but it's been low on the priority list, so I've never looked into it. Top notch work! :D
mrw

Re: SqueezePlay for Joggler (Standalone Native and Ubuntu)

Post by mrw »

mrw wrote:I haven't determined the cause of the 'dmix' issue. My hunch is a problem within the Alsa library, but I don't know for sure. One thing that appears to resolve it 'on the fly' is to close and reopen the relevant Alsa device. That happens every time a stream with a different sample rate is played back, or Squeezeplay is restarted. So it may be possible to do something within Squeezeplay to work around it.
Well, I still haven't determined the cause, other than it's 'broken'. But I have made a patch to jive_alsa that does seem to work around the problem.

To recap:

When running Squeezeplay on the native Joggler OS (and perhaps some other Ubuntu variants), the sound output frequently disappears after 5/10 hours or so.

This can be solved by modifying the alsa configuration file(s) to avoid use of the alsa 'dmix' plugin. But a side effect of that is that the sound device is no longer shared. We might expect this to interfere with sound output from other processes while Squeezeplay is running. (E.g. bleeps from the Joggler text messaging app wouldn't emerge).

The attached patch appears to solve the problem within Squeezeplay, permitting use with the Joggler's stock alsa 'dmix' configuration. It has been running without incident for a couple of weeks or so, and does allow the sound device to be accessed from other processes.

How useful it will be is another matter, given that text messaging has been withdrawn. Nevertheless it may still be of use in some circumstances. In particular, users should no longer have to fiddle around with the alsa configuration (although they may still wish to).

It is entirely possible that my testing has been too limited in scope, and that the fix is not as generally applicable as I have assumed. If there is anyone interested in pursuing this, I can make a compiled jive_alsa binary available for installation/testing. In the meantime, I have attached the patch for anyone who may be rolling their own.
Attachments
Fix-sound-disappears-after-a-few-hours-when-using-al.patch.txt
Squeezeplay - Draft fix for alsa dmix plugin problem.
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

plm wrote:Is there a way to get SqueezePlay to switch off the backlight when the 'Screen off' screensaver kicks in?

Currently it blanks the screen but leaves the backlight switched on. The backlight only seems to switch off when the player itself is in the off mode.
Check out my patch in this post.

To use:

cd /opt/squeezeplay 

wget http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/download/file.php?id=214 -O screensaver.patch 

patch -p1 < screensaver.patch 
to reverse you can always do:

patch -p1 -R < screensaver.patch 
Edit: on the original OS you may need to prefix patch with busybox (this is also untested)
Edit 2: please see post two in advance of this one
Last edited by Wilberforce on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roobarb!

SqueezePlay for Joggler (Native, Ubuntu & sqpOS)

Post by roobarb! »

Two good patches there, that I should include in the next release. I've not had the vanishing audio bug for some time now, but I can't see any harm in the patch if it's restarting audio after detecting an error condition.