Joggler take apart and CPU recooling endeavor

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Post by pete »

I decided to take my test Joggler with the 3rd USB port hack to the next level by redoing the back cover for the Joggler and maybe hanging it on a wall via the back cover and passively cooling the CPU by removing both or one of the speakers.

Here's the beginning of a pictorical take apart and redo.

First picture is the back cover taken apart.
Attachments
TakeApart-1b.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
markeh

Re: Joggler take apart and CPU recooling endeavor

Post by markeh »

I was meaning to do something about cooling a while back, I bought a couple of 40mm fans thinking I could mount one or both in place of the little speakers. Haven't got round to it, not really sure how I'd power it either. I only have 1 joggler so not that keen on taking a soldering iron to it.
pete

Post by pete »

Great idea markeh! I might take apart the speakers and put fans in their place keeping the rest intact somewhat..
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

You really don't need a fan for that little Atom chip, you know. My kitchen Joggler mounted in a door has a tiny little metal heat sink on it and never gets above 45 degrees.

But if you're having fun, it's up to you.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
markeh

Post by markeh »

pete_c wrote:Great idea markeh! I might take apart the speakers and put fans in their place keeping the rest intact somewhat..
From what I remember fans that size don't match the speaker size perfectly so the existing screw holes won't align but that's not a big deal. Let me know how it goes I might eventually get round to copying you :)
roobarb! wrote:You really don't need a fan for that little Atom chip, you know. My kitchen Joggler mounted in a door has a tiny little metal heat sink on it and never gets above 45 degrees.

But if you're having fun, it's up to you.
Yea lol half the fun is tinkering with it. My original plan though was to put it in the car, I just thought it's better to be safe if it's buried in the dashboard.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

roobarb! wrote:You really don't need a fan for that little Atom chip, you know. My kitchen Joggler mounted in a door has a tiny little metal heat sink on it and never gets above 45 degrees.
Sounds cool Roobarb any chance of a little photo of it on here :)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Roobarb,

Did you leave the back off of the Joggler and mount the motherboard to the LCD? A passive thin cpu heatsink would work even better than a fan.

Mark,

Relating to the CarPC endeavor been updating the CPU's to Atom D525's (from older VIA and first gen Atom CPU) and adding a rear camera to each of them. Works well so far. My configurations though tap into the navigation system and OEM HU (no touch screens).
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

hawsey wrote:
Sounds cool Roobarb any chance of a little photo of it on here :)
Sure - I must remember to take one! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:Did you leave the back off of the Joggler and mount the motherboard to the LCD? A passive thin cpu heatsink would work even better than a fan.
The main board in my kitchen one is rotated 45 degrees and mounted on little bolts embedded into the door. It then has a stainless steel back panel held on with magnets and a couple of pieces of walnut.

It's much easier to describe with a picture. I'll try to get something up tomorrow. :)
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you roobarb.

I started to play a bit with the mini ZIF/CF card USB boards found on Ebay. I can mount this little board / CF card and it utilizes little space. I switched over my Seagate Dockstar to using the CF card to run the OS and it seems a bit better over time versus a memory stick. I've lost one USB SSD card already. It might have been a QA thing though.
Attachments
CFcardreader.jpg
Last edited by pete on Fri May 25, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
markeh

Post by markeh »

pete_c wrote:Roobarb,

Did you leave the back off of the Joggler and mount the motherboard to the LCD? A passive thin cpu heatsink would work even better than a fan.

Mark,

Relating to the CarPC endeavor been updating the CPU's to Atom D525's (from older VIA and first gen Atom CPU) and adding a rear camera to each of them. Works well so far. My configurations though tap into the navigation system and OEM HU (no touch screens).
Are you actually using a joggler in your car pete? What software are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Have you swapped out a joggler cpu for something faster?

Sorry for asking 3 questions in a row lol but you've got me interested in getting one in the car again :D
pete

Post by pete »

Mark,

Never utilized a Joggler in the Car. One documented Joggler person did give it a go around 2008-9? Its documented on the mp3car dot site.

Personally started with Via Epia 1Ghz analog to analog TV tuner inputs (E46). I used a serial then USB IBus interface which mapped out the HU GPS radio knobs / buttons. A few years back tried a new RGB interface (developed in the EU) which becomes a device on the IBus and is a more integrated solution that fits between the Navigation and HU end. Around the same time went to first gen Atom based CPU motherboard in a very small footprint case on the E83. Its a bit faster than the Via Epia. Just recently updating the two CarPC's to Atom D525 4Gb memory based motherboards and making them work a bit more. Just added a cam on the E83; works well. Thinking of an ODB interface next. The last generation of the IBus is well documented. I can turn on lights, open / close windows etc via the IBUS now. Moving a USB port and Network computer port from the back to the front HU section of the car (going really slow as its a pain to remove the trim to hide the wires). The phone is the secondary remote to the carpc; guess the Joggler could be another remote also. The cars also already have a "built" GSM phone for the emergency button service; that is integrated into the cars though.

That said the software I am running is very customized and simple. Written for Wintel and Linux. Running it in XP today. Basic music, pictures and video. A built in IBus sniffer is part of the custom software (simply called CarMedia). Nothing fancy, very functional and quick. I've been "playing" with one of those new combo 3G4G / WAN wireless AP's; very small. Works well via a tether or just a 3g/4g connection. That said setting up a mini LAN in the car such that when I drop my phone in its cradle it connects automatically to the router and still works with the automobile blue tooth stuff (VR et al stuff).
Attachments
Dash-2.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

What happens when you hit 88mph?

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! :D
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Those are GPS coordinates. You can adjust the size of the screen, shift it left or right or up or down and change the fonts. I took this picture before I adjusted it. There's another screen that shows MPH etc. When you put the car in reverse it taps into the parking sensors and turns on the rear camera. Its one with LEDs which light up pretty good; there is an overlay on the camera picture with lines on it. I don't push the truck much. I have done 145 MPH on the E46. Modded engine a touch and keep my second set of tires on it (racing tires). I don't drive it a lot either.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Mevi wrote:What happens when you hit 88mph?

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! :D
Thats when the time travelling starts :P

Hows the recooling quest going pete?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
Justblair

Post by Justblair »

You might want to have a look at my cooling project here...
http://www.justblair.co.uk/o2-joggler-i ... oling.html

I use some alu and heatsinks to replace some of the Joggler's own cooling. It is still passive.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you justblair.

Dan,

Cooling endeavor is a bit stalled right now with the Joggler disassembled still waiting on purchase of CF card adapter and fitting to try both of the mods on my test Joggler.

Drifting a bit on another project in the last couple of days.

I purchased a 3M Microtouch capacitive 17" open frame LCD with a thin footprint a few days back.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... s/C1700SS/

The design of the open frame touch screen LCD allows me to install it on the wall and have a small opening for the video, power and serial touch connection. (that piece is only maybe 8"X8").

The installation pictured replaced a 12" resistive LCD I had mounted there and used for about 8 years or so.

Meanwhile installed a new 17" capacitive touch screen and made a wooden frame for it yesterday. It's being driven by an Aopen Digital Engine DE-945FX core duo PC.

http://usa.aopen.com/Platforms.aspx?id=78

Here are some pictures.
MTS-TS-1.jpg
17CAPLCDFRAME-2a.jpg
TS-17-Capacitive.jpg
Frame Staineda.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
markeh

Post by markeh »

pete_c wrote:Mark,

Never utilized a Joggler in the Car. One documented Joggler person did give it a go around 2008-9? Its documented on the mp3car dot site.

Personally started with Via Epia 1Ghz analog to analog TV tuner inputs (E46). I used a serial then USB IBus interface which mapped out the HU GPS radio knobs / buttons. A few years back tried a new RGB interface (developed in the EU) which becomes a device on the IBus and is a more integrated solution that fits between the Navigation and HU end. Around the same time went to first gen Atom based CPU motherboard in a very small footprint case on the E83. Its a bit faster than the Via Epia. Just recently updating the two CarPC's to Atom D525 4Gb memory based motherboards and making them work a bit more. Just added a cam on the E83; works well. Thinking of an ODB interface next. The last generation of the IBus is well documented. I can turn on lights, open / close windows etc via the IBUS now. Moving a USB port and Network computer port from the back to the front HU section of the car (going really slow as its a pain to remove the trim to hide the wires). The phone is the secondary remote to the carpc; guess the Joggler could be another remote also. The cars also already have a "built" GSM phone for the emergency button service; that is integrated into the cars though.

That said the software I am running is very customized and simple. Written for Wintel and Linux. Running it in XP today. Basic music, pictures and video. A built in IBus sniffer is part of the custom software (simply called CarMedia). Nothing fancy, very functional and quick. I've been "playing" with one of those new combo 3G4G / WAN wireless AP's; very small. Works well via a tether or just a 3g/4g connection. That said setting up a mini LAN in the car such that when I drop my phone in its cradle it connects automatically to the router and still works with the automobile blue tooth stuff (VR et al stuff).

Pete that sounds pretty good lol, a bit beyond my needs though :D I bet starting the car from the house would come in handy in december, can you do that?

I drive my car about three times a week, which leaves me in the really annoying scenario of not really being able to justify spending a load of money on it but being annoyed at how bad the headunit and ipod dock are. Between the old laptops, android tablets and the joggler I thought something similar could be done to that project you mentioned with the joggler. I've always given up when looking at amplifiers though because I had a really bad experience with one setting a car on fire (lol) years back, so the thought of having anything like that in the car again is really off putting.

I found this http://www.devium.us/products/dash/ which seems cool but not in production yet and a bit expensive.

How does your car pc handle power off? Is the power cut when the ignition is off, so it uses windows embedded with ewf or is there a battery to shutdown? What sort of amp do you use? Sorry for the questions just having a little think about what I have around that could be used.
pete

Post by pete »

Yes; remote control start is installed on all of my vehicles. Newest generation is an independant module with start based on recurring time, once, or via temperature control (so here I utilize it to pre cool and pre heat automobile). Radio touch is self sustaining or optional telephone. At work in the late 1990's it became a contest of sorts in our small group of methodology and distance. I cheated a bit by installing an electronic thermostat connected to the starter relays remote controller the "stuff".

Other than the CarPC I have left everything else stock (audio, amps and subwoofers). Initially I was using a "tank" battery which was being charged by the generator in the car but only utilized for the carpc. I then went to an intelligent power supply which utilizes the ignition on/off to time the shutdown of the power to the PC. So the PC gets the signal to shut down; then about 20 seconds later the power is cut to the PC. I've downsized the carpc(s) in the last few weeks by utilizing a smaller mini ITX case, removing the CD/DVD rom drive. I continue to utilize a SATA 250Gb drive though and never went to an SSD as I have a copy of my music directory on the CarPCs (by the way they sync up to home NAS when parked in the garage via a wireless connection - with a bypass timed switch to keep them going - IE: I keep trickle chargers on them when in the house garage as the Blue tooth OEM car module had a tendancy to "stick on" and not shut off. Car is set to never start though if the garage door is shut using RFID transmitters in the headliners of the vehicles.

There are new gen replacement HU's these days using embedded Linux / Windows CE with total Blue tooth cell phone integration. My OEM though already had this with VR et al. I don't have nothing but RGB video though and no touch on the stock HU/GPS display. The whole car pc thing though was another mod / hack. I took apart the dash, radio et al when the automobile was "days" old.

I did once though start a little electrical fire in the 1970's with a Triumph Spitfire I had been upgrading the dashboard electronics with. (still keep the car - its mostly in storage these days). I had just upgraded ignition and instruments at the time. For a bit a couple of years ago took it out of storage and I had a mechanical fuel pump failure one day on the way home from work. I had meant to change it over to an electronic fuel pump and left it in the trunk unconnected. Needed to use it that day so ran some extra speaker wire from the trunk to the battery to get home that day. Great car and a very nice design. This one is Spitfire #3 as the first one I purchased was in the 1960's and the vehicle taught me about auto mechanics at the time.
Attachments
Spitfire2.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Love the old Spitfire Pete .
Remote control startup for the vehicles ,love that , hadn,t even heard of that before .
And your picture frame pc project looks great
Did you ever get a joggler wall mounted ?
Happy Joggling