Enabling Telnet access post May update..

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: Enabling Telnet access post May update..

Post by gegs »

Not quite as straightforward as I thought. I had to click on the "contact us" link, then the email link appears in the chat tool bubble - at least it does in Firefox and Chrome. I initially tried to find an email link in Opera but nothing appeared in the bubble.
alpha

Post by alpha »

Fortunately the reflasher works on the May update units that have telnet disabled. It's the only method I've found to reenable telnet. Just follow the instructions from Birds Like Wires:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jo ... sh#content

Obviously this will flash the pre May software, but for most, this wont be a problem. It would be good to also install the Birds Like Wires Update Controller to prevent the May update from coming back:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/updatectrl-joggler
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

monkums wrote:The Telnet issue seems linked to rebooting the device after the update.

My second Joggler had updated to the new firmware at some point yesterday so I checked to see if Telnet is active and it is! Having what seemed like a partial update on my first Joggler (missing icons, etc) I tried to update it via the settings menu and it did an update and I now have all the icons but it doesn't have Telnet enabled. The only thing I did different was to reboot it.

There is a very minor difference in the firware versions

Joggler 1 (no Telnet)
FW: 8964 (Boardrev2)
SW: 30291 (Oct 1 2011 15:23:26)

Joggler 2 (with Telnet)
FW: 8964 (Boardrev2) [ID=24600]
SW: 30291 (Oct 1 2011 15:23:26)
Don't think this is overly relevant to people's telnet/no telnet issues. Just checked three of my Jogglers that are on OpenPeak.

All are on SW 30291 (Oct 1 2011 15:32:26), 2 are on FW 8964 (Boardrev2) and 1 is on FW 8964 (Board rev2 with ID numbers). All telnet in, before and after a reboot.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
mrw

Post by mrw »

offbeatdave wrote:<snip> Just checked three of my Jogglers that are on OpenPeak.

All are on SW 30291 (Oct 1 2011 15:32:26), 2 are on FW 8964 (Boardrev2) and 1 is on FW 8964 (Board rev2 with ID numbers). All telnet in, before and after a reboot.
Can you provide an analysis of how it is that telnet starts up when your Jogglers start up ?

Many of the posts here refer in some way to 'telnet not working any more'. What generally seems to be absent is how it was that telnet 'was working' in the first place. Without knowing that... well I would find it somewhat difficult to make any useful comment. But I'm new to Jogglers, so there may be something obvious that I am not aware of.

Perhaps your experience would help some to unravel the knot.
mrw

Post by mrw »

Positivity wrote:I am sure I am being really stupid here
I doubt it !
- but I have tried to follow mrw's instructions for re-enabling telnet and get as far as booting ubuntu from a USB stick and a login screen, but then I can't login - no keyboard!
Yup. I didn't think to mention that fact.
Am I supposed to connect a USB keyboard to proceed? With only one USB port on the Joggler, this leaves me with a problem. I do have a powered USB hub, but I cannot get the Joggler to boot from the USB stick when it is in the hub - the hub worked fine before in powering a harddrive and a USB-DAC.
Yes.

What works for me is to have a Dell USB keyboard and the USB stick plugged into an unpowered (oldish) 'Kensington' hub.

What sometimes works is to use one of those cheapo, often 'transparent', four port hubs. But it frequently does't.

What doesn't work for me is to plug the USB stick into one of the keyboard's USB 'extender' ports, and plug the keyboard into the Joggler. I discovered (later) that the keyboard believes itself to be insufficiently powerful to work the stick. YMMV.

I won't tell you how long it took me to discover the reliable combination, and how frustrating it was before I discovered it.
Also if I do solve the keyboard input problem, I suspect that I will get stuck on:
"This does require some knowledge (not much) of the linux command line, which I am not seeking to give."
Is anyone able to provide the additional detail for non-unix people?
Sorry about that. As you might guess, I'm not the best person to give detailed instruction. I was brought up on pre-windows computers, everything was command line. I just know that any detailed instructions I might craft will be missing vital steps. And I don't want you to break your Joggler because of my failings.
I have a horrible suspicion that I am in the hands of O2 now - they need to re-enable telnet in a further update. Does anyone have an O2 contact I could pester? - looking on their website, there is only a Joggler Update FAQ and links back to here.
I would suggest patience. You know that it can be done. What's required is a 'black box' solution. I have little doubt that that will come in due course, but I would not expect to see it until the whole update process has run its course and the final firmware is available.

If I were O2, I might say "We never enabled telnet login in the first place..." :)

AFAIK the previous firmware made provision to O2 to enable/disable telnet login for a single predefined 'root' user account, with access protected by an unpublished password. I don't recall seeing anything about such access in the user manual. I may be wrong.
cybercide

Post by cybercide »

I have managed to enable telnet on my post May updated Joggler without the need for a keyboard or reverting to the old image.

The method I used sets the nvram net.login setting to YES (this checked in the script that starts the telnetd daemon), but unfortunately when the Joggler OS boots somethings sets this back to NO, so this change does not survive a reboot.

However once we have telnet access it is possible to login and follow the method employed by mrw (http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =565#p9713) to enable telnet permanently.

I have modified the attached jogglerflash.sh script with my code and so that it performs the net.login update when there is a file called telnet in the reflash folder. It still has all of the original functionality so hopefully the changes can be incorporated into the official birdslikewires.co.uk script if no easier workaround is discovered.

Here are the step by step instructions to get telnet working again:

1. Prepare a USB stick with the Reflashing Tool for Joggler (http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash)
2. Put the attached jogglerflash.sh.txt and telnet.txt file into the reflash folder. You don't need anything else in the folder, an image is not required
3. Rename the file jogglerflash.sh.txt file to jogglerflash.sh
4. Rename the file telnet.txt to telnet
5. Turn off your Joggler and insert the prepared usb stick
6. Power on the Joggler it will run through saying "Enabling Telnet oneshot..." and then automatically powerdown the joggler.
7. Remove the USB stick from the Joggler.
8. Power the Joggler back on.
9. Telnet to the device. The username is root and there is no password.
10. Follow the steps employed by mrw to enable telnet permanently.

Instead of step 10 you could do the following:

Use vi to edit /etc/init.d/boot.d/S56boot.daemons and comment out the lines 13,14,15 and 17 e.g:

Code: Select all

#  if [ `nvram -sr net.login|tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`x = "no"x ] ; then
#    echo ${n} " (skipping telnet) "
#  else
    telnetd
#  fi

Hope this helps.
Attachments
telnet.txt
Rename to telnet
(837 Bytes) Downloaded 457 times
jogglerflash.sh.txt
Rename to jogglerflash.sh
(11.29 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
mrw

Post by mrw »

cybercide wrote:I have managed to enable telnet on my post May updated Joggler without the need for a keyboard.
What a neat way to do it. Just use the 'reflash' OS to set the nvram setting to 'YES' and reboot. I wish I had thought of that.

There does appear to have been a behavioural change for that nvram setting - it is now routinely set back to 'NO' after 15/20 minutes or so. I observed it last week. And it applied to both my upgraded and my non-upgraded Joggler, so I speculate that a hitherto unused feature of the firmware/phone home process has been enabled. Possibly because no password is set for the root acount in the current firmware...
gforums

Post by gforums »

Sadly cybercide's method isn't working for me.

Perhaps the passwd file is somehow messed up. I'll boot into my joggler with a full linux system later, then telnet/ssh the device trough this system and have a look at the joggler's internal files to see what's wrong in my case.
Maybe this way we find a general way to re-enable telnet for most users having problems since the upgrade.

will write again if making progress.
still interested, if cybercide's method is working for other users out here, which would be fine already :)

-gforums
Max

Post by Max »

I'm confused. I have a non updated joggler and I've just checked the nvram command. Mine says 'NO' for net.login, but I can telnet in to it.
cybercide

Post by cybercide »

gforums,

Did you get to the telnet login prompt or just connection refused?

Max,

I imagine, the method that you used to enable telnet on your Joggler initially would have done the equivalent of the code snippet in my previous post or the S99boot.hacks script, making it load the telnet daemon regardless of the net.login nvram setting.

regards,

Cybercide
Last edited by cybercide on Fri May 18, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrw

Post by mrw »

gforums wrote:still interested, if cybercide's method is working for other users out here, which would be fine already :)
Worked with mine.

It looks for nvram binary in expected directory on /dev/mmcblk0p2. Conceivably there might be some Jogglers with nothing on that partition, in which case it should be on /dev/mmcblk0p3. Script easily amended if this were the case for you.

I think most Jogglers will have the current firmware on one partition and the previous firmware on the other, so the binary would be found, regardless.
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

Thanks ever so much cybercide - your method worked first time.
I didn't follow the enable permanently steps, as all I wanted to do was get into edit asound.conf to send the sound out of the USB port. After that I rebooted to activate the new asound.conf and disable telnet - all worked a treat. If I need to telnet in again, I will just reboot from the USB key.