New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
JogglerSqueeze

Re: New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

Post by JogglerSqueeze »

Slight variation on the Telnet problem

Have two Jogglers, same problem on both

Jogglers both updated in last couple of days. Lost the Logitech Squeezeplay app so telnetted in using username of root and no password

ran the squeezeplay installer (tarkan version). I wasn't expecting this to work but assumed I could telnet back in later to figure out what needed to be done to get it working e.g. editing the applications xml file etc.

What happened with both devices is that following the reboot at the end of the squeezeplay installer, telnet suddenly stopped working. Like others, I resorted to the USB stick that I had previously used to enable telnet on both devices but that no longer works either.

What do people recommend as a means to get back to an OS that can be accessed via SSH / telnet?

I've seen some people recommend reinstalling the O2 firmware. Where would I get that? The links I've found so far point to o2.openpeak.co.uk and they are all dead.
Or is there a bootable usb image that can be used to enable telnet or SSH on the current firmware?
Or can I attach a USB keyboard and hold a hotkey at boot time or something?

What have other people who used their jogglers primarily for squeezeplayer done in this scenario?

Any help would be most appreciated

thanks
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

That'll be roobarb's reflash tool. Head over to Birdslikewires.co.uk for everything you need, JogglerSqueeze. The tool and the firmware are there.

You could also try his squeeze player OS, see the dedicated thread for that.

Here's a question of my own... I have a couple of Jogglers that will reflash, but still refuse to boot to the factory OS, sticking on the OpenPeak boot logo. Will O2 be providing us a USB update tool like before when they have a FINAL version of the FW/SW? I'm hoping that will do the trick..... :)
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
xAPPO

Post by xAPPO »

david_f1976 wrote:None of my Jogglers have updated yet, but seen this on another forum for fixing ssh
Why SSHD is broken after the joggler upgrade.

# sshd
sshd: error while loading shared libraries: libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#
When the upgrade happens the following library where upgraded

# cd /usr/lib
# ls -l libgss*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 167832 May 10 08:30 libgssapi_krb5.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 167832 Apr 7 2009 libgssapi_krb5.so.2.2
#
So you need to create a symbolic link back for the old version of the library the SSHD is trying to load.

# ln -s libgssapi_krb5.so libgssapi_krb5.so.2
The other thing that happens is that the /etc/init.d/S69boot.sshd script gets reverted so you need to remove the keyword OFF that is in this file.

export PATH="${PATH:+$PATH:}/usr/sbin:/sbin"

case "$1"OFF in
start)
check_privsep_dir

UPDATE: And make sure /etc/ssh/sshd_config has the following configuration entries

PermitRoot yes
UsePAM no
From here:

http://www.homeautomationhub.com/content/eek
Sorry I am an absolute Linux Noob... I followed the above (reverting the symbolic link) down to the bit where I need to edit the /etc/init.d/S69boot.sshd script, where I assumed I needed to run sshd in order to do this edit. But on trying to start sshd I now get

# sshd
sshd re-exec requires execution with an absolute path

I tried this
# /usr/sbin/sshd
Missing privilege separation directory: /var/run/sshd

what path should I be using ?

UPDATE I had a directory missing (/var/run/sshd) but there are some other issues related to a blank root password (see the original thread above for more details) - however - following a reboot I've lost Telnet access before I got SCP auto starting so I'm in the boat a lot of others seem to be in.

Ho Hum... Thanks O2 for wasting so much time for everyone.... given you're 'offloading' so much of the futures of the Joggler to this community you could at least have left Telnet (or SSH) accessible.
david_f1976

Post by david_f1976 »

Check out the home automation thread I linked to earlier. There have been further posts that may or may not help you
darrenkellum

Post by darrenkellum »

Would I be correct in saying that if I want to use the reflashing tool with this firmware version, I just put the 8_O2_Final_Transition_v3 into the reflash directory along with the script? Do i need to make any udpate to the script?
mrw

Post by mrw »

darrenkellum wrote:Would I be correct in saying that if I want to use the reflashing tool with this firmware version, I just put the 8_O2_Final_Transition_v3 into the reflash directory along with the script? Do i need to make any udpate to the script?
I am going to wait until the final release is published:
before investigating further.
sixedup

Post by sixedup »

BuZz wrote:* UPDATE - May 10th 2012 *

FROM o2:
Would you mind taking down the image we sent you and i will ask that the new image is sent to you as soon as we have it (expect some time next week).
"Next week" is nearly over, so I wondered if you'd received any updates on the new image? I've got several Jogglers that have been variously "messed with" and I'd really like to return them to the "new" completely vanilla, before doing a fresh install of just the few extra applications that I want.
Thanks
Richard
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

New Message from O2
Still working to get the image of the latest OS to you so please don't think i have forgotten.

I have 2 updates:
1) The time / date issue should be resolved in the new image
2) The people who are stuck on the O2 screen - I would like to get a sample of MAC addresses of these devices so we can check the logs to see if there is anything that caused this.
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

It seems O2 have made a bit of a pickle of this...
I wonder HOW many of these Jogglers are now residing in a cupboard as they have been rendered useless.

For people with limited knowledge of creating the USB bootable setups from the excellent teams here - I suspect there are a lot of unhappy people

I mean no offense to the O2 team...but I wonder how they plan to handle this? So far it looks like they have a whole bunch of broken Jogglers out there..and I'm not sure they can be remote rebuilt can they - without some intervention by O2 or us?
Steve
gegs

Post by gegs »

BuZz wrote:New Message from O2
Still working to get the image of the latest OS to you so please don't think i have forgotten.

I have 2 updates:
1) The time / date issue should be resolved in the new image
2) The people who are stuck on the O2 screen - I would like to get a sample of MAC addresses of these devices so we can check the logs to see if there is anything that caused this.
Do they say if the new image will be available by clicking the 'updates' icon on an updated Joggler's settings page? If not, I would find it difficult to apply the new image because I don't have telnet / SSH.

It would be better in the meantime if they pushed out their first version update because it apparently had telnet enabled. I was unlucky enough to be in the second wave of updates.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the new image will be a bootable usb stick image they will provide to me as with the last one that flashes the latest update.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:the new image will be a bootable usb stick image they will provide to me as with the last one that flashes the latest update.
Don't suppose there's been any word on the old .usb-key file to enable updates from USB sticks, is there? :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

no, and my current contact is not one of the developers. I've actually been in contact with 3 o2 employees. one who first sent me the image via email. I asked them about the fh kernel module after our earlier discussion but never got a reply. then I have been contacted by someone else, who asked me to remove the image and gaave me the last update. I asked them about the fh module and they said they would pass it on to openpeak, but that they were not part of the technical team or so. I'm not currently in contact with anyone that has told me they are a developer on the product.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Since O2 are washing their hands of the product, all be it in a nice way, would it make more sense to open up avenues of discussion with Openpeak themselves? They might be willing, and able, to help. I believe they have abandoned the Joggler's Flash based OS for Android in their new products. They might be able to help us with advice, developer tools and documentation, especially if these are no longer seen as commercially sensitive.
magnus pym

Post by magnus pym »

Hi Buzz, thanks for all your hard work with this, if you get the chance would you ask O2 about whether they intended to remove upnp or if it was just a cock up?
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

gegs wrote:Since O2 are washing their hands of the product, all be it in a nice way, would it make more sense to open up avenues of discussion with Openpeak themselves? They might be willing, and able, to help. I believe they have abandoned the Joggler's Flash based OS for Android in their new products. They might be able to help us with advice, developer tools and documentation, especially if these are no longer seen as commercially sensitive.
Yeah, that would be nice. +1

I've been watching the whole O2 end of life update debacle unfold. It's not gone well, has it. On a positive note, there will be a glut of 'dead' Jogglers going up on eBay for cheap. :P ;)
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
xAPPO

O2 - get a grip and sort this ..

Post by xAPPO »

Well my second Joggler updated just now - and ....

I have 9 labels and 7 icons and almost every 'useful' app is gone..

Games - label only - no icon - not accessible
Tools - label only - no icon - not accessible
Automation - xAP application - still works
App Shop - seems to work - quite a few apps in there
Settings OK
Phone - need to register - no use
Call Logs - what use is this ?
Contacts - works but not useful for much
Sound Ex. -works if you want to play 5 ringer sounds

... and no Telnet :evil:

What are you doing O2 / Open Peak ?

Firmware 8964 (boardrev:2) [ID=12118]
Software 30291 (Oct 1 2011:15:32:26)

K
Last edited by xAPPO on Fri May 18, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:Since O2 are washing their hands of the product, all be it in a nice way, would it make more sense to open up avenues of discussion with Openpeak themselves? They might be willing, and able, to help. I believe they have abandoned the Joggler's Flash based OS for Android in their new products. They might be able to help us with advice, developer tools and documentation, especially if these are no longer seen as commercially sensitive.
A few of us have tried contacting them already, but nobody (so far as I know) has had a reply as yet. But it would be lovely if they did get back to us.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BigT

Post by BigT »

Is anyone having the problem of :-
Your system has been updated and will rebboot shortly.
Please wait while we update guest room information.

Doing my head in.
Had PNP III running great, using browser for my webcam stream through Yawcam.
Now I get this every 1/2hr even when I unplug and do a hard reboot.
Any ideas?

Added: If it does it again I'll try the Update control script on it.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hi. I haven't yet summoned up the courage to reflash my broken joggler. Have I understood correctly that o2 will be sending out an update to try to fix the issue of those stuck on the o2 update loop? Will they let us know before they do it so we can switch the jogglers on? I would ring o2 to ask but when I rang them after the update none of the staff I spoke to had even heard of a joggler - they didn't know what it is.