North Nottinghamshire - help with installing Chrome

Want to buy a Joggler or selling one? Post your details here.
Dutchess_UK

North Nottinghamshire - help with installing Chrome

Post by Dutchess_UK »

Anyone North Nottinghamshire-based and willing to help out installing Chrome on my new Joggler? I've been told installing jolios will mean Chrome is automatically installed too.

I haven't the foggiest idea how to go about it and 99.9% of the threads on here go way over my head.

Ideally, I'd like to use Google Calendar but the version I get to see through Opera WWW doesn't look anything like the real thing and the Google Calendar widget only shows one day, and tiny at that.

Happy to pay £25 for a successful installation!

LN
Juggler

Re: North Nottinghamshire - help with installing Chrome

Post by Juggler »

If you cover the cost of a USB pen drive and postage to you, I'd be happy to put a tested JoliOS with Chrome on the pen drive for you. And maybe you'd like to make a donation to the forum.

For support afterwards, you'd be welcome here.

But to be honest, if you have a PC, its not super hard to do it yourself. Perhaps you could have a go your self first and if you have problems you'll find the people here very helpful and friendly. There is probably a good thread here with instructions on what to do.

The main JoliOS page is here :

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/jolicloud/

It has instructions on there, which are good. Have a look and see what you think. If its not for you then perhaps start a new thread on the main forum asking for a "how to" for a non-technical person.

If you have JoliOS on a USB pen drive, then it means that you would have a USB pen drive sticking out the side of your joggler, when you want to use JoliOS. If you dont have the pen drive in your Joggler, then it will come up with the system that is normally on Jogglers.

Also, I have to say that I haven't used JoliOS on the Joggler, but I believe it is very finger friendly, so you can you the touch screen on your joggler.

Other people may have some better suggestions.

Installing Plug and Pimp (PNP) 3, I think it a little bit more involved. Again I haven't tried this as I'm not sure if there are still issues with O2 and the updating of Jogglers, since O2 decided to stop supporting them.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Ditto Juggler's offer to any new forum member who feels a bit out of their depth writing an image to a stick.

I'm not usually keen to do this but only because it's actually rather easy if you follow the instructions; it's also a good learning process for those who might want to try another OS in future. Also, if there's a catastrophic, unrecoverable error on the USB stick, knowing how restore a working USB distro is invaluable.

However, I'd rather somebody had a working Joggler than being intimidated and giving up, so I extend an open offer to anyone, now or in the future, to put one of BuZz's distros or Squeezeplay OS on a stick. My only condition is that you at least try to do it yourself first. You'll be surprised how easy it is and once you've tried it, more of the postings on the forum will start to make sense.

I haven't tried the XP or Android images much and couldn't answer questions about them, so I'll pass on writing XP or Android to a stick. Other forum members would need to help with those.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Juggler wrote: Installing Plug and Pimp (PNP) 3, I think it a little bit more involved. Again I haven't tried this as I'm not sure if there are still issues with O2 and the updating of Jogglers, since O2 decided to stop supporting them.
No issues now I believe, especially since o2/OpenPeak provided the fixed version of the update image.

To be honest, I think it's as easy to do the whole PnP3 thing as Joli (but I may be biased ;) ). As others have said, just give it a go. What's the worst that can happen?
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
Dutchess_UK

Post by Dutchess_UK »

Ok, I now made it to writing JoliOS (unzipped, etc) onto the stick but every time, after 10% or so it conks out. Followed all steps as per above. Have emailed Mr Juggler on here to take him up on his offer as this is putting my patience seriously to the test and I can't seem to get anywhere. Thanks for all your comments!
gegs

Post by gegs »

If you want to run Google Calendar, don't use Opera, use the app that comes with PnPIII. It's much better.
Dutchess_UK

Post by Dutchess_UK »

Gegs, do I need telnet to install pNPIII? The unzipping part looks easier, but i don't know what to do once it's on the stick :/
gegs

Post by gegs »

Whether you need telnet depends on what version of the OS you have installed. If you have the original O2 OS, you can unzip PnPIII to the root of a USB stick, power the Joggler down, insert the stick, power the Joggler up and wait for at least half an hour. The screen will show the O2 logo against a black background for ages - just wait until all the icons appear again and you will have a pimped Joggler.

If your Joggler has the Openpeak update, you will neeed telnet to pimp your Joggler. Just follow offbeatdave's instructions on the first post of the PnPIII thread. If you don't know how to telnet or SSH into the Joggler, look at a few Youtube videos on the subject - they will probably tell you more than a couple of dozen forum posts.

---EDIT---

As previously stated on this thread, if you are really stuck, I will write an image to a disk for you. I'll also guide you through the process of installing PnPIII. I know how daunting it can be for a newbie (I was one myself not so long ago). You can also PM me for help with this if you want.