Heeeelp !!

Want to buy a Joggler or selling one? Post your details here.
Bassedge

Heeeelp !!

Post by Bassedge »

Hi I've got two Jogglers with the original 02 OS on but I am just not any good with computers & hacking . Is there anyone in the Bath area who could put on a different OS on to them so that i can use them for surfing , playing music, movies , games for a fee ?
Juggler

Re: Heeeelp !!

Post by Juggler »

I'm not that close to Bath, however, would you consider this :

* You post a USB stick to me
* I put a Joggler image onto it and test it - I'd prefer to do BuZz's XUbuntu 14.04, as I have been using this for some time and I know it is good and works extremely well. You could have a different image if you want, and I can check it will boot, but knowing if something is wrong or making some changes to make it better will be limited/not possible.
* I send the stick back to you - to cover the cost of postage you do a transfer for the postage amount to my bank account
* I can give you some basic instructions on here on how to use it and try to address issues you may have
* If you like it you make a donation to this website - BuZz is the person making this website possible
* If you'd like a different image or other changes we can do the above again.

In my opinion, to use a Linux image well you will need to use a USB hub, a USB keyboard and a USB mouse. If you don't have these, I would strongly recommend that you acquire such and test them on a Pc or laptop, before going any further. Now, I may get a bit of flak over this, but I don't really like using the onscreen keyboard on a Joggler, but it is possible. It all depends on really what you want to use your Jogglers for and what you are prepared to work with.

But I would suggest that you have a go putting an image on a USB stick yourself first and talk about it here, so that you can do it yourself as it will be much better in the long run. It doesn't take that long, and so long as you are using a USB stick that doesn't have anything on it that you want to keep, there is nothing to lose. The one thing to be careful over is when using WinDiskImager that you make sure the drive you are writing to is not one of your hard drives. But I think WinDiskImager will only populate the destination drive list with removable drives, so it should not be easily possible to do this.

Other people have been in the same situation as yourself and they have had a go and been very pleased at writing a Linux image and using their Joggler in a way it was not originally intended, but that makes it far, far better.

HTH

J
Bassedge

Post by Bassedge »

Hi Juggler, that sounds like a good plan : ) I have tried burning an image to my Jogglers but it just wouldn't boot into the new os . I have got a usb keyboard & mouse , also a Belkin powered usb hub : )
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Hi

It is worth having a go to make a bootable stick yourself. I understand that you have had a go and it doesn't boot. You see, even if I send you a stick that I've tested and boots on some of my Jogglers, it may not boot on yours, because of say the hub you are using or even which port of the hub the stick is plugged in to. It could be that because of having the keyboard and mouse in the hub at the time of boot, your joggler doesn't like that. I've seen this before. Jogglers can be quite particular about the USB devices attached at boot time.

The best way to initially test a stick is to just have the stick plugged into your joggler - no hub or anything. Then just see how that goes. If it all goes well, switch the Joggler off and then try with a hub, and be prepared to just have the hub and stick plugged in, then when the OS has booted and you need to use the mouse and keyboard, plug them in.

Another mistake I have seen is that the compressed file (.gz file - I think) is written to the stick. You need to decompress the file downloaded and write the .img file to the stick. Depending on which OS you have chosen the size of the .img file maybe 2G, 4G or maybe 8G

Initially, could you describe in detail how you wrote the image to the stick, your joggler setup and what happenned when you tried to boot, including :

* what Joggler OS you downloaded and where from ? What is the name of the file and what size is it ?
* what tool you used to decompress the image and the name and size of .img file produced ?
* what USB stick you are using, what size is it ?
* what tool you used to write the image to the USB stick, how long this took, if there were any errors ?
* what was plugged into your joggler usb and which port on the hub, if used, you plugged the stick into when you tried booting ?
* screen shots of what is on the joggler's screen during the boot process - use a camera and take shots, whenever anything changes on the screen - you can post images here. It would be useful to know the timing on the shots as well - you could use power on as time 0 and go in seconds from there. Sometimes a dodgy stick or a stick the joggler doesn't like, you will see the joggler look like it is booting, but then fall back to the internal OS after quite some time. My rule of thumb here is that you should see the grub screen within a certain amount of time or I know something is wrong.
* add anything else that you feel may be of help. The list above is just off the top of my head and may well be missing some important parts that are needed to understand what is going wrong.

If you want to have another go, I'd suggest you try BuZz's xubuntu image and download the image that uses the EXT4 file system. I suggest this as I have used this for some time and found it to be very good and the EXT4 file system as it is resilient to cutting the power on the Joggler and coping well on the next boot of the Joggler. I appreciate this may not be the OS that you want to use, but it will get you into the whole process and it is something I am more familiar with as are other people on this site. Also if you have a few usb sticks, it would be good as you could try a different stick, as the stick used may be the problem.

If you want to use one of the Squeezeplay images that go onto the internal memory, then the other thread here would be the best place to get help. I prefer not to touch the Jogglers internal flash and just use flash drives/sticks that plug into a USB port.

There are threads here that go into detail on the image writing process and there may be something in the WiKi too. I learned by trial and error. But I know that the boot process is not always straightforward and there are a number of things that need to be right for it to happen. I think that for most people, most of the time this should be so, but one thing out of place, can stop the whole process and there's not really much of an explanation from the Joggler on why the boot failed.

Over to you...

Oh - on the following page you will find xubuntu and there are some instructions on how to unpack and write the image file to your usb stick on your pc/laptop :

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ubuntu/
Bassedge

Post by Bassedge »

Hi there , I've tried burning Xubuntu ext4 image 4 different memory sticks & all it did was boot into the stock os as usual ....on one occasion it looked like it was causing some sort of distortion ( a tartan image ) but nothing like a boot into a new os ;(
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Bassedge wrote:Hi there , I've tried burning Xubuntu ext4 image 4 different memory sticks & all it did was boot into the stock os as usual ....on one occasion it looked like it was causing some sort of distortion ( a tartan image ) but nothing like a boot into a new os ;(
Hi ,
I had big problems like yourself when I first started out with Jogglers so I will share what I do every time .

A couple of things I always do now and my sticks never fail to boot :

1. Use the HP usb disk storage format tool to do a full format of your stick before you start .

2 .Download your image and extract using 7-Zip so you will have an image file inside of a folder ending in .img and this is what you will need

3.Use Win32 disc imager version 0.7 to write your .img file to the disc .

If you want any of the above mentioned tools I will put up a dropbox link .

When I started out I tried all sorts of things to get images to boot without success until eventually finding the above method and it now works every time .

Good luck

You will get there :-)
Happy Joggling
Bassedge

Post by Bassedge »

Thanks Hawsey...............I'm such a newbie at this !!! If you could put up a drop box for the relevant software that would be ace ;)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ok so here is a link to the Hp tool and the Win32
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2792g7f1e2k ... 97kQa?dl=0

Also go to here http://www.7-zip.org/download.html and get the version of 7 zip suitable for your computer

The above assuming you are using Windows :-)
Happy Joggling
Bassedge

Post by Bassedge »

Hello all ............I've officially given up with my Jogglers , so if anyone would like to buy them I'm selling 2 jogglers with original software on & untampered with £40 each ono.............will post for the going rate ;)
Cheers all
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

What did you try ? What happened ?

Hawsey gave you some good advice.

No matter what your capabilities are, people here will try to help and in a good way.

Our population is not increasing (AFAIAA), so it down-heartening to see your decision. I hope they will go to good homes. Or maybe keep one and let us help you ? The community has helped many people. One of the great things about the joggler is that if you are using an external usb stick, it is pretty hard to mess up the joggler, so you've got very little to lose and if you want to tinker (learn about technology and experiment), a lot to gain...
gegs

Post by gegs »

Please stick around and persevere with at least one of your Jogglers. I would start with P'n'P III because it's easy to set up and will give you a flavour of how easy it is to run a hack on the Joggler. You can then play around with Squeezeplay and iPlayer. You can even play movies stored on network shares.

If this whets your appetite, you can try running an alternative OS from a stick. I've not had a Joggler that wouldn't boot from USB, so if you have two it would be a rare occurrence.

If you persevere, you will find these to be great bits of underrated tech. I've sent you a PM saying what I use my Jogglers for and if you need any help you can PM me; I don't visit the forum every day so I might pick up a PM sooner (I know it can be really frustrating waiting for answers.)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Android 4.04 runs really well too, I have mine on in the kitchen all day & leave it sitting there checking emails. It also makes a great media player. If you post me a 8MB or bigger USB stick I'll happily set up Android on it for you.
Error

Post by Error »

dwl,
where can I get Android 4.04 from? is it downloadable somewhere?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Mr Error , try this , think this is what you are after ....

http://www.mediafire.com/?qcgven49tx9tjx1
Happy Joggling