Check these - Gone now

Want to buy a Joggler or selling one? Post your details here.
wiiner

Re: Check these - BACK AGAIN!

Post by wiiner »

got this Ebay mail from technokit. Look like he those want to use ebay for the last few.

"I am down to my last 25 jogglers and this is the very last of them , please text me on 079******** if you would like any"
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Damn you, I've just bought one as an "insurance policy"! That'll be 4 in the house now.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I got the message too and I've also bought another one to mothball. That makes 4 for me too. My wife will probably go nuts but she uses my current Jogglers more than I do; she'll be thankful if one goes belly-up.

The last one I bought is doing sterling service as an ethernet wired Logitech Media Server (and occasional extra player). It's been much more stable than my previous Squeezeplug server on the Pi; at least it has been since I deleted the display standby applet.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Has anyone managed to remove the perspex blocks without damaging the casing?
gegs

Post by gegs »

dwl99 wrote:Has anyone managed to remove the perspex blocks without damaging the casing?
I have! I just pushed the block sideways with my thumbs, using increasing pressure until I heard a slight crackling sound. Then I did the same pushing in the opposite direction, then pushing alternately whenever a crackling sound was heard. the blocks popped off quite quickly - no tools or heavy blows. The glue appears to have been a cyanoacrylate super glue that has melted the surface of the Joggler a little but no real structural damage.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Ours arrived today. Briefly tested and seems ok. 1 small scratch on screen but apart from that I was pleasantly surprised by its condition.

Gegs, I thought you might have superhuman strength in your thumbs but I was able to manipulate a block off without too much fuss and no damage. The other block however refuses to shift so perhaps you do have that superhuman strength after all? Might just have to tap it gently with a hammer!

UPDATE: It's off! I covered the block with a teatowel then used a pair of pliers to grip the block and gave it a yank. Actually came off quite easily so if thumbs don't work, this might be worth a try.
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Might just have to tap it gently with a hammer!
I think a steady force is much better to remove these blocks, even if it has to be quite a strong yank like you did with the pliers. Hitting with a hammer has the potential to damage the screen or other components as the force of the blow is transferred to the Joggler. Better to err on the side of caution than be too hasty.

I've actually saved the plastic blocks because they could come in useful. They look like a mount that would swivel on an anchoring rod and could be ideal if I ever wanted to wall mount a Joggler. I also notice that someone has listed Joggler metal stands on ebay today if you really must have one. They cost £10 including postage, which seems a bit steep for a Joggler that cost £20.
archie

Post by archie »

Thank to you all who have bought Jogglers from me through Ebay , I have just relisted my last 6. I also have 4 in good condition but without stands and power supply which I just cant seem to flash but I am no Joggler expert, so if anybody would like to make me an offer on these four email me on sales@technokit.co.uk
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I can confirm that mine was OK and definitely has a wifi card inside. The screen is a bit foggy when booting but lots of Jogglers go like that after a year or so. The perspex blocks came off with gentle rocking with a pair of pliers. It's now in the loft as an insurance policy against the day when one of the main Jogglers expires.
pete

Post by pete »

Same here. Never actually opened the original box. I just did and plugged it in. It sees the WLAN NIC and was trying to connect to some BT SSID.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
archie

Post by archie »

4 on Ebay and the bid is only 99p so far got to be worth a punt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Openpeak- ... 1052486456
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

archie wrote:4 on Ebay and the bid is only 99p so far got to be worth a punt

Do you have any of the chargers available for an "unofficial" purchase? I can get them PAT tested my self.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

dwl99 wrote:
archie wrote:4 on Ebay and the bid is only 99p so far got to be worth a punt

Do you have any of the chargers available for an "unofficial" purchase? I can get them PAT tested my self.
I think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread on alternative power supplies for the Joggler. It is an area I intend to look at, but not sure when.

As far as I can see, any 5V power supply that can provides at least 2 Amps *should* be sufficient for a Joggler alone.

From another website, some of the current usage of a Joggler is published :

Power Usage

1.24A/6.2W during startup
1.09A/5.4W with the clock on screen set at lowest brightness
1.40A/7.0W with the clock on screen set at Highest brightness
0.14A/0.7W in STANDBY set by performing a SYSRQ+O

How accurate this is, I don't know. What software was being used and what hardware attached to the Joggler is unstated. I would presume that there were no devices attached to the Joggler's USB port and that the Joggler was unmodified internally.

So you can see that with the Joggler showing the clock, ie probably doing very little else, and on highest brightness, the current drawn was 1.4 Amps. I'm guessing that it is highly unlikely with no USB devices attached and the Joggler really working hard on something that the current drawn would exceed 2 Amps, hence my statement above on a minimum specification for a power supply.

Personally, I wouldn't be overly worried about using a 2 Amp power supply on the Joggler. Of course, before you use it for something critical, it is best to test it. If the Joggler tries to draw more than 2 Amps with a power supply rated 2 Amps, then it is likely there would be a drop in Voltage and you would probably see the Joggler crash - ie it would halt what it was doing and would become none responsive. This would need to be remedied with a power cycle. I think the greatest risk would be with the power supply and using it near the top-end of it's capability for a large part of the time. It may well become very hot, and would have a higher risk of failure. And hot electronics may pose a fire risk. Further, if you attach USB device(s), without a hub based power supply, then the current the Joggler will need to draw will increase correspondingly, dependent upon the needs of the USB device.

I think the power supplies provided with the Joggler are 4 Amps to provide sufficient overhead so that the supplies are not overworked and to provide current for 1 device (or a small number of low current drawing devices) attached to the Joggler.

I may be wrong on some of these points. If anyone would like to advise otherwise or provide further info, I think it would be useful to the community, especially now there are approximately an additional 600 Jogglers out there, that have been supplied without power supplies.

Five Volt power supplies are very common now. A good source of power supplies that can provide maybe 3 or 4 Amps, would be useful. Of course, there is the matter of the right plug for the rear of the Joggler. I think there are some posts here that have suggested appropriate plugs for Joggler power supplies.

HTH
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Check my 3 posts on the previous page for suggestions!