Should I unbox and update or is sealed box better?

Want to buy a Joggler or selling one? Post your details here.
lardconcepts

Should I unbox and update or is sealed box better?

Post by lardconcepts »

Like a few people here, I bought two of these, and the second has remained completely unboxed and sealed.

Looking through the ebay listings, I can't really get an idea of what is the better thing to do: unseal it, install Mint or something and sell it "ready to go" and tested, or keep it sealed and sell "as is"?
ilovemyjoggler

Re: Should I unbox and update or is sealed box better?

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

There is no right or wrong answer to this. If it were me, and I'm not saying that this is the right thing to do but definitely what I'd do, is update it with the openpeak image and put PnP III on it. Without PnP III the joggler is fairly limited. I wouldn't put another os on there as I feel they are down to personal preference.

But this is just my opinion. :)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Just to contradict the above I'd say sell it as new without fiddling with it. Anyone buying one these days is probably a tinkerer so will be able to pop their own setup on it anyway. If I were after another (I'm not-6 on the go at the moment!) I'd prefer a fresh unused one rather than one that's been written to x number of times. Check if there's any difference in a few auctions first though!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
lardconcepts

Post by lardconcepts »

Thanks Dave and also thanks ilovemyjoggler;

There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two for auction prices. I think given that it's been sitting in a box for two years I'd like to check it's working.

Also, PNP III seems to be most excellent - I suppose I could take a pic of the box seals and serial number with today's newspaper to prove it was "as new", then flash OpenPeak and PNP III onto it, test, and put straight back in box.
Learning about PNP III and seeing what it's done to my current running Joggler was a bit of a decision changer!

Yeah, on reflection, I'd rather at least know it left here working and I wasn't going to get "it won't show the weather" negative feedback kind of thing!

Thanks for both advices.