spam

Please post any ideas / changes / or help requests regarding the forum here. Announcements relating to improvements etc will also be posted here.
Leonardo

Re: spam

Post by Leonardo »

BuZz really don't know... today the spam is not too much... but tomorrow? I saw Forums where the spam became terrible and the cleanup job was really hard!
I agree with you: people wants to subscribe and post but if someone is really interested in joining the community, will have the patience to wait for some hour? This is always IMHO!!!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

We stop most spam registrations automatically - already running anti spam tool that uses 5 dns blacklists + stop forum spam api, as well as some addition signup forum checks. We also have captcha + email verification. It's under control :) If spam gets significantly worse, I will look at new options, as I did before, but it isn't an issue for the forum right now imho. I don't want to have to manually verify users.

it's probably worth mentioning, this server has 2 other phpbb installs, 3 wikis, and a wordpress setup, which I manage so in terms of if spam increased, apart from the automated measures already running (which can be tweaked), I prefer to go the route of more moderators to help, rather than more work for myself :)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Agreed BuZz,
I recently tried to join Homeseer forum and what a carry on it was to join, I almost gave up. Also every message is vetted so there is no momentum to threads.
I much prefer this way.
They are quite funny too as long as there aren't too many. :smile:
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Wow; someone is hitting every topic today here.

Spam is really bad today.

I don't mind volunteering as a moderator.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

pete_c wrote:Wow; someone is hitting every topic today here.

Spam is really bad today.

I don't mind volunteering as a moderator.
Just one spammer though, with lots of posts, so only looks like a lot visually. I have added you as a moderator. However only admins can use the "delete user and report spammer" functionality, so you will be limited to banning their username and deleting their posts.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I've just noticed that the registration Q/A captcha isn't active. I think the later spam filter module took over the signup page, so it will help if I get the captcha back in addition. Will look into this.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Actually it looks like either I disabled it, or it needed re-enabling after install . So that should reduce spam registrations somewhat more, although the spamlist checks on their own were doing a pretty good job (if you look at the number of entries in the block log - 250,000+)
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you Buzz.

Yeah its looking well today!
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

uhm, I think spammers are not very smart... how do you think a spam will work if you write in Russian in a UK site?!?!?!
They are just bugging but they will not have any benefit for doing this... strange people...
acesabe

Post by acesabe »

Yeah, well it's not us the spammers are after, but the web search engine spiders that crawl the site. any links to their website help them get better search result listings...A load more spam posts this eve, things need to be tightened up a bit if we are to keep them out. If any site help needed, I can offer my forum mod experience...
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

I don't remember, do we have a "captcha" on this forum for registering new users? This should be enough to stop spiders and robots!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

we do, but it's not enough to stop all. All the Spam we have uses human captcha solvers etc. They also validate the email addresses, and manage to get past the multiple ip blocklists that are used.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Can we block posts made in Cyrillic script?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

it would be more time than to delete the spam. Just flag it and ignore it :)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I see Kitchen boy is back again. Can anyone come up with an imaginative way of putting him off posting?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dwl99 wrote:I see Kitchen boy is back again. Can anyone come up with an imaginative way of putting him off posting?
I run another forum and kitchen spam is all I get there too. Weird.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Maybee if we all club together and buy a kitchen off him 8-),then he will leave us alone do you think that would work .
Hmmmm OK maybe not then ....
Happy Joggling
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I just don't understand the point unless its some sort of SEO trickery. Even if I was looking for a kitchen in the area I wouldn't use that company as a matter of principle now, same goes for any spam TBH
pete

Post by pete »

Maybee if we all kitchen together and buy a club off him 8-),then he will leave us alone do you think that would work .

Yup; must be someone that is bored.
- Pete

Auto mater
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Maybee if we all kitchen together and club him 8-),then he will leave us alone do you think that would work .