downtime

Please post any ideas / changes / or help requests regarding the forum here. Announcements relating to improvements etc will also be posted here.
BuZz
Site Admin

downtime

Post by BuZz »

I have a slightly better machine to replace the one this site currently runs on (more hd space, better cpu). I will be transferring everything over probably on the 10/04/2012. There will be some downtime as I move everything across. turn off services on old machine and bring new machine up.

Thanks to my hosting company http://www.mythic-beasts.com for the upgrade.
roobarb!

Re: downtime

Post by roobarb! »

Mythic Beasts are great. They're hosting the Raspberry Pi site these days too, always speedy since the changeover.

I keep thinking about changing from Dreamhost, either to Mythic Beasts or to Kimsufi, but I'm tied to the cheapness for the time being! :)

Hope the upgrade goes well!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Personally I wouldn't go for ultra cheap stuff like Kimsufi, just because I prefer direct support with people that know what they are doing. Kimsufi is part of the big hosting place ovh. with the big places, you get far too many levels of "lack of support" imho.

Mythic beasts recently upgraded their VPS offerings though, and they are very competitive currently. I pay a very fair amount, and they sponsor the bandwidth and have provided me with replacement machines when needed (on failure etc or when I needed something better). This server has been doing ~2tb a month recently, so I appreciate all their help with the costs.

They know their stuff too. Unlike companies (like rackspace *cough*) who say they are ipv6 ready, but don't actually offer it to customers, this machine has been running ipv6 for a little while, and it was available before I asked for it.

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/vds.html for the virtuals btw.

</spam>

mythic beasts are cool though. coz they are oldschool linux hackers and support lots of projects like us. (Co)Founded by Chris Lightfoot - http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/wwwitter/ who sadly is no longer with us.

all details about this server in the footer or visiting http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/ExoticA:Hosting
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Oh, and anyone who wants to host any interesting stuff (see the stuff we host currently - non profit, free open, projects etc), and is short of cash, I can offer you free hosting here too. Feel free to ask anyway.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Thanks for the info, BuZz - I shall bear that in mind!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Pete_Stevens

Post by Pete_Stevens »

If anyone else has exciting things we're usually happy to supply free bandwidth to not-for-profit non-political organisations. Beyond that you need to write a short paragraph explaining why your organisation/project is completely fantastic and we should support it further, we tend to be impressed by things that either have widespread social good (e.g. www.cyclestreets.net, www.raspberrypi.org), something technically cool (this site, www.campug.org.uk) or something that's just plain fun (www.cambridge-camra.org.uk, Cambridge University Spaceflight).

If anyone is in need of servers (real or imaginary) or gigabits of bandwidth on a commercial scale we can help with that too!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thanks for the info Pete.

--
Update:
I have done the switchover. services might go up and down a bit as I set stuff up.