Joggler/tablet cradle

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
ilovemyjoggler

Joggler/tablet cradle

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Has anyone ever found a suitable support for the joggler that doesn't involve dismantling either the joggler or the cradle?

One of mine sits on a shelf in the kitchen. Ideally I'd like it to be under rather than on top of said shelf so that I can reach it a bit better. I'm neither into, nor really capable of, that kind of hands on dismantling work.

This is the closest I could find.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 052#p12052

Fishy, if you see this, can you remember what kind of satnav support you used?
gegs

Re: Joggler/tablet cradle

Post by gegs »

Maybe something like this would work with a bit of modification:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tablet-PC-Car-M ... B004L5J1YQ

I don't think I'd trust the load bearing to suction cups though and you might have to hacksaw a gap in the Joggler stand to make it fit (unless the holder slots through the stand). The good thing about the Amazon page is that it gives compatible device min/max dimensions. My Joggler isn't on hand to check if it would be suitable though.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks for sourcing this gegs. I've now measured one and, sadly, I don't think it'll fit. The joggler is too deep and a little on the short side for this particular cradle.

I'm now on the hunt as I really would like this joggler lowered. With the increase in tablets out there, there must be something that'll work (although I appreciate they are probably thinner and don't have the stand or the sockets in the back to accommodate). Failing that, may need to get a new shelf! :D
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Thanks for sourcing this gegs. I've now measured one and, sadly, I don't think it'll fit. The joggler is too deep and a little on the short side for this particular cradle.
Not being close to a Joggler, can you tell me what the clamping thickness (front to back) needs to be? Maybe I could find something else.

If only the Joggler had a tripod thread in the back! There are lots of armatures and mounts for photo and lighting equipment that are compatible with tripod bush or thread fixing.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Oohh, thank you - two pairs of eyes are better than one!

Joggler is 125 mm high and 180 mm wide. Depth of the joggler for 'clamping' purposes is 25mm at the top and 20mm at the bottom. The discrepancy is due to the way the stand is attached along the top edge.

But, I've just had a good look at the back. The centre part of the of the joggler itself (where the sockets are situated) stands proud by a little under 1 cm. THEN, you've got the mains adaptor sticking out by another cm or so.

Hmmm, could be impossible task. Do you really still want to offer your services for this challenge? ;)
pete

Post by pete »

Here I still have the base of a Joggler (without anything else in it right now). I actually redid the support such that it would be stronger with three small machine screws. This is a bit of some hardware modification. That said though you could maybe purchase a "broken" Joggler and test using it as spare parts.

All in all though it would involve removing the metal stand which actually appears to serve a function as a heat sink but really doesn't. I noticed that in other OpenPeak devices the insides do have a metal heatsink and the Openframe 2 has a removable metal pivot stand.

I think its only 4 screws that hold the metal bracket in place. It is very well contructed. If you go really slow its not a major issue to remove the bracket.

That said I used 3 really tiny machine screws using the same holes behind one of the speakers such that the speakers would function as normal to support the little speaker pivot bracket. Using spare Joggler pieces you could build this little support structure on the back of one and transplant the insides of your working Joggler to this one back piece.

If you do not want to do major stuff; then you can simply remove the bracket and use tiny sheet metal screws with large washers to hold a pivotal bracket to the back of the Joggler using the little tiny holes (vent holes?) without actually causing any damage to the insides of the Joggler.

I do have a little CE 6.0 device which has a sort of mini VESA set up on the back along with a tripod camera type mounting part to it. That said though it was designed in this manner.

I have too done custom weld stuff for one of my automobiles.

A welding "guru" could actually use a plasma cutter to trim the bracket and fix a nice support to the center of the metal bracket. You could use the spare broken Joggler bracket for this endeavor. While this is really small stuff to play with; it would be very basic and easy to do as a favor to you.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Pete, what a shame you live in the states as I don't know any welding gurus. Nor, for that matter, IT gurus. Unfortunately...

It does all sound a bit like hard work. The kind I don't enjoy! However, taking off the bracket and using tiny screws could be a viable solution for my limited skills. But only as a last resort ;) in which case, be warned, as I will hound you for advice. :)
pete

Post by pete »

So far while testing "stuff" I have removed the bracket and run the Joggler for hours like this.

I will try some benchmarking to see if the temps change that much after days.

I will be completing the wall mounted test Joggler soon as I have the pieces ready but not the time lately.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Tested the speaker bracket thing yesterday and it will not work even with little support screws; it's a bit too much stress on the plastic case.

Trying something I have been able to replace the "stand" with something that might work better and am testing it some today. Will take some pictures today of what I am trying.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I've been "playing" a bit with DIN mounted LCD power supplies relating to my outdoor landscaping and had the DIN rails laying around. They are difficult to find in the US and I had ordered them from China. The prices are all over the place though and I purchased 6 in bulk with free shipping for less than $10 USD. The little plastic DIN mounts are about $3 each USD.

The DIN rail is made out of aluminum and is light but sturdy and easy to cut or drill into.

If you cut and mount the DIN rail on a wall it is almost a flush connection and is pretty sturdy. You can paint also such that its not shiny.

That said the plastic DIN mounts are currently utilized for my Aopen Digital Engine computers and one carpc and they fit perfectly as pictured. Using the Din rail you can fix or mount on wall as seen. If flush though you need to make space for the wires in the back. It seems a bit sturdier than the direct to back of mounting of the speaker bracket so far. Note that I am using the metal bracket holes for one of three screws that can be utilized for the DIN bracket.
Attachments
newmount-2.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

pete_c wrote:Tested the speaker bracket thing yesterday and it will not work even with little support screws; it's a bit too much stress on the plastic case.
To be honest, I'm really not surprised. The joggler is rather heavy.

Your newest invention is very clever!
pete

Post by pete »

Yup I didn't really notice until I added some weight. The speakers that I utilize with a similiar bracket are heavy and almost all metal.

The larger bolts though with the threaded holes in the speaker are much more sturdier though.

I am not at the weight testing piece of this endeavor.

The two little side DIN mount brackets are very tight and with two little screws connected to each bracket they will be tighter.

What will make this mount sturdy though is to have more of the mounting bracket attached to the wall. The Joggler will then snap into place.

Truely though I won't know until I play with it some more.
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hmmm, perhaps it's not a tablet cradle I need. Maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/B-Tech-BT77-Ult ... 452&sr=8-1

It has a hole in the base - through which something would have to attach to the joggler's stand for fixing purposes. The actual wall bracket is simple and unoffensive but quite big - which i'm not too keen on. The sides are adjustable to stop the joggler wobbling off - I think. There is a base for it to sit on. It tilts, which could solve the issue of the screen being at the right angle/height for whoever happens to be in the cooking corner. Joggler's weight shouldn't be an issue.

I guess I could paint the actual bracket the same colour as the wall to blend it in a bit? The whole thing's hardly minimal but that part of the kitchen is very busy on the eye anway. If it was going on a blank wall it would look ugly.

Really, I need a smaller version of this. I'll continue digging...
pete

Post by pete »

I test mounted the DIN rail thing with the small speaker mounting bracket. It is better as the support and is structurely more sound. To remove it though you can either go behind it and disconnect the speaker bracket with the one finger plastic topped screw or just unclip the DIN mount with two hands. The whole set up looks better just using the flush DIN mount though than the speaker pivot mount. The speaker pivot mount adds about 1.5" to the back of the Joggler but lets you tilt it up or down or sideways. If you mount this contraption on a wall with a one gang box you can have the wires going right into the box and still have the Joggler flush to the wall. This would essentially provide a small fooprint on the wall set up that is fixed though with a very small opening for just the wires. You really wouldn't need to frame it and you could paint the din rail any color you want to make it aesthetically pleasing.

The real test though relates to the WAF factor if said device is mounted inside of the bathroom and on a wall there. The infrastructure is now in place for this (network et al).

Today I cut the DIN rail such that it is the same width as the Joggler. As it is made of aluminum it was easy to cut.

I will also today mount the din plastic mounts with two screws instead of one per plastic DIN mount.

In addition will add another screw to the speaker pivotal mount. I did notice today that the pieces on this speaker mount that are structural are made out of metal which is good. Having it mounted using the speaker bracket allows for more space for the cabling behind the Joggler. Leaving the speaker pivot bracket on the back of the Joggler also adds the ability to remove it from the DIN mount and rest it on a tabletop as before with the metal Joggler table bracket. The angle of tablet view is almost identical.

I added two more screws such that the DIN brackets are held better. You can also put a couple of drops of some glue there to make these mounts even stronger.

Now back to the OP.

This methodology involves a little bit of disassembly. You can just pull away the motherboard from the case without disconnecting it to remove the bracket screws thus becoming a bit less invasive. I have done this for hot swapping the flash chip.

For an almost non invasive flush mount you maybe could utilize one of the newer mounting brackets in the pictures attached. The real nice looking one is around $100 USD. The one with the little brackets though is only around $20 USD. That said though with both you would still have to remove the stand and make some room for the cabling (little hole maybe?).

What I noticed is that anything relating to mounting an IPad / IPod to a wall is priced accordingly (Apple prices). The new stuff coming out for mounting the Android tablets is much more reasonably priced. (major difference IE: for Apple > $100 USD and for Android < $100).
Attachments
Maybe-2.jpg
Maybe-1.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

pete_c wrote:... That said though with both you would still have to remove the stand and make some room for the cabling (little hole maybe?).
What, you mean a hole in the wall?! :shock: Those wall mounts are lovely though.

Have to say that anything that tilts would be more sensible as there's a fair height difference between my and my partner and currently the joggler is propped up with a towel in order to improve screen visibility. :D

I'm really quite jealous of your endeavor with DIN rails (whatever they are ;) ).
pete

Post by pete »

The DIN rail "thing" with the little speaker bracket is maybe around $20 USD. I did notice though its a bit difficult to tilt the joggler and tighten the speaker mount bracket because it is so close together. That said I will most likely spray paint the bracket a different color. I have added one more screw to the speaker bracket plate. It is tight.

Post a picture of how you want to mount it and where and I may be able to replicate a similiar scenario here. I use my garage shop kitchen cabinets to test stuff. Currently testing 120VAC LED lighting. Its been a while now and it most likely will be utilized for the Kitchen soon.
- Pete

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

I love your posts Pete. I find your projects fascinating, although mostly outwith the realms of my (lack of) expertise. They'd make a cracking reality TV show :)
JanMartin

Post by JanMartin »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Has anyone ever found a suitable support for the joggler that doesn't involve dismantling either the joggler or the cradle?

One of mine sits on a shelf in the kitchen. Ideally I'd like it to be under rather than on top of said shelf so that I can reach it a bit better. I'm neither into, nor really capable of, that kind of
led light on dismantling work.

This is the closest I could find.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 052#p12052

Fishy, if you see this, can you remember what kind of satnav support you used?
Were you able to find the right support..Even I am searching for suitable support for the joggler so please provide some suitable information
Last edited by JanMartin on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

JanMartin wrote:Were you able to find the right support..Even I am searching for suitable support for the joggler so please provide some suitable information
Afraid not - certainly not something that works 'out of the box'. I did buy a couple of cradles from the states which looked like they might work and the dimensions seemed to match but in reality they didn't. I gave up the hunt some time ago although there may well be something out there. I'm still using a towel to prop the joggler up so that I can see the screen :roll: so would be interested to hear if you or anyone finds anything.
pete

Post by pete »

My "contraption"; pictures above; is still attached to a "wall" in the basement. I never reinstall the Joggler motherboard to it; but that is the easy part.

My wife asked me what it was the other day.

It does involve taking apart the Joggler and fitting it with two DIN mounting brackets (which are plastic) and removing the tabletop bracket.

With the little speaker pivot mounted it also allows for some space for network and power connectivity. You can also paint the din rail some other color to make it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Total cost of the hardware is less than $30 USD.

That said though the Joggler 2 is built differently. The back tabletop angled metal is still there.

Inside though it uses a metal plate which is literally the width of the motherboard which indeed does keep the Joggler 2 a bit cooler when running.

The Joggler 3 is even better for this sort of thing as the back bracket is removable and you can easily connect some sort of wall bracket to it easily enough.
- Pete

Auto mater