Touchscreen problems after dismantle/reassemble?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
Leonardo

Touchscreen problems after dismantle/reassemble?

Post by Leonardo »

Hi all, one of my touchescreens become crazy after dismantle/reassemble Joggler. The problem is the cable of the display compressing touchscreen on the back. pay attention on this and the problem should be fixed!

* to fix this put the cables as flat as possible to make them the thinest you can, also using adhesive tape!
roger l

Re: Touchscreen problems after dismantle/reassemble?

Post by roger l »

I have one machine my original that has lasted well and stood up to several reflashes. it has not as far as I know been opened at all. My problem is that icons have started to become unresponsive in PNPIII. They are icons that are hardly used. It appears to be when it is left for a few days. My regular apps work. (squeezeplay, UPNP, iPlayer etc) I tried leaving the screen off when it was not in use, but once again the icons have been unresponsive again. I dont really want to crack it open if it is not a hardware issue. Any help would be appreciated.
pete

Post by pete »

Here I have a few doing some heavy work and over days do also become unresponsive a bit. Well there are "delays" to the touch responses.

I have going to rebooting them in the middle of the night via a cron job and remote control via the mothership. I also get the same effects; not really relating to touch but more to remote control; rather its just a delay more than anything else.

The cables too have come loose sometimes when they are disassembled and I tug on the LCD / Touch cables from the LCD pieces to the motherboard pieces. That said I don't think they will come loose if you haven't opened up the Joggler much.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roger l

Post by roger l »

It is my original Pete. I have never dismantled it and it looks like it is due for another reflash. Switched it off since PNP III refresh icon just did not work. No delay...just no response. When switched off it just stuck at the O2 screen again. (only reflashed a months ago for the same reason). Some icons dim slightly, but then do not respond at all. Had tried it with the screen off when not in use to keep it cool.
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; here too keep them mostly in the dim mode, off screen mode after midnight, rebooting them in the middle of the night.

They did get warm running 24/7 at full LCD brightness.

Many too many read/writes on the flash MMC chip?

Here is one Joggler 2. I keep the screens really basic and just put different functions on each one.

This is booting off of an SSD ZIF drive connected to the USB port on the back of this device.

This one is XP. Its running a small little program (or agent) which talks to the mothership. It provides me with the remote stuff. Only thing is; is that standby works but WOL doesn't.
Joggler-2.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roger l

Post by roger l »

I think you are right! It could be too many reflashes. I have done it one more time and will just see how it goes. It has been going since the inception of UNR and has been very useful. The model you have adapted looks supreme! I am getting a spare to take a dip into the internal mods you describe and hopefully I could attempt something similar. the SSDs are quite expensive. I am presuming that it wont work off a mini sata? I am intending to couple a new one with a "500 Watt 2 Channel Car Audio Power Amplifier Amp YL2
Buy it now: £5.49. It has a small footprint and has a powered USB socket for a drive.
amplifier ebay.jpg
amplifier ebay.jpg (21.49 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; initially tested the Kingspec 8Gb SSD/USB sticks. I think they were around $20 USD. A bit higher than a regular USB stick though. It was too big to fit inside on the USB port. I removed the plastic case and it fit fine afterwards. I did though remove the wireless stick to utilize the USB SSD stick.

A mini SATA would probably work just fine if it has a USB port on it. That said though they are too big to fit inside of the Joggler.

I migrated from these to 16Gb ZIF SSD ($24 USD) with ZIF to USB boards ($5 USD); such that its like $29 USD. Which really is a lot I guess. That said you can do much more relating to RW's on an SSD and its way faster. The ZIF SSD fits nicely on the left side space of the Joggler. It is tiny. I then rain a 15cm ZIF cable over to the ZIF port in the middle of the motherboard. Running and booting from the USB SSD drive is some 30-50% faster than the regular USB stick.

The above pictured one is the most difficult Joggler to open. Originally a special tool was used that would push on 4 little clips that held the LCD in place.

Think is that the special tool went into the bottom of the case and past were the speakers were. I sort of guessed taking about the case using a thin screwdriver and a plastic credit card pulling up on the LCD.

This one has more traces that the Joggler 2. It also has a mini pcie slot for the wireless card but no internal USB port. I tested a Broadcom Crystal HD card in one and with it in place it runs the Linux version of XBMC really nice streaming 1080 just fine. I have one in pieces right now on my workbench and will take a picture. It is held together with painters tape and I am using little table clamps to keep the boards apart.

Very good price on the amplifier. Andy is using one of those for his in the kitchen cabinet Joggler mode.
- Pete

Auto mater
roger l

Post by roger l »

Strange experience. I had one O2 machine that kept on needing a reflash (somebody had opened this before), that had worked well for some time, One Openpeak machine that had stopped booting from a USB and failed to reflash with tons of errors on the partitions and one of those betting shop spares for £10 off E bay (which I intended to use the EFI of). I used Pete's instructions to swap the EFI chip carefully. I gutted the standless betting shop machine and placed it whole in the carcass of the non booting Openpeaks body.... that was one complete machine up running. The non booter was then put in the body with no stand. I swapped the chip from the O2 machine and the £10 one into the Openpeak nonbooter with no result. I then swapped them back and changed the touchscreen and changed the chip back. After several combinations I switched on the Openpeak chipped and reflashed using the Openpeak image...miraculously flying past the formatting populating P3 (which it previously failed at tens of times) and then stopped and was ready booting PNP III after telnetting. It then sparked into life with the Brilliant PNPIII image but with no sound. I was about to open the case again to see if the wires had become disconnected (although doubting it) and on a reboot the sound was back and the image was rock solid. The combination of non working bits are all screwed into the Betting shop machine for a project in the near future. I cannot understand this. Even at one point I installed the chip upside down and heard a little squeal from the inside with no life on the screen. I have used the fantastic Buzz's Ubuntu image on stick, so all is working fine. The joggler is a mystery. To summarise I had One Openpeak non booter and one O2 with an ever failing image on its way out and have now ended up with a Great Openpeak machine and an experimenter and one of those betting machine in a proper body. It was worth the work. Thanks for the Posts and images. What a forum!!
pete

Post by pete »

Great news Roger!

I am seeing different sound chips (similiar though) between the two Openpeak / Openframe 1.0 models. On the linux side the sound does work for me with the Openpeak labeled models. On the wintel side the sound works on the Openpeak model O2 sized one. This even with the addition stuff inside; IE: DECT and Zigbee chips. I still have issues with wintel on the larger ones with the speaker in the front. That said most recently tested a new one with linux and a USB EFI boot (buzz's image) and its fast and works great.

BTW the ones with the Openpeak label engraved on the back have the most feature set motherboards and include a zif connector.

Note that the Openpeak labeled machines have a zif connector on board which works (sort of). You can connect it with a "flipped" blue ended 15cm cable and getting a small zif SSD drive. This will fit over the wireless USB stick area. I have one EFI booting one except I cannot get it to default boot to the SSD drive. That said though it has a combination mini pcie wireless and bluetooth card with works great with Buzz's Ubuntu image. I have tested a Broadcom Crystal HD card in it swapping out the bluetooth combo wireless card and it will stream 1080 effortlessly either via XBMC or just testing HDHomerun live TV streaming. The pluses with the larger one is that mini pcie card and the DECT chip, Zigbee chip, 2 Gb flash versus 1 Gb flash and traces for a mini sd card, GSM SIM card and zif connector. A minus though is that the boot EFI flash is soldered instead of socketed into place. I think though I have a development one too marked O2 but its in a larger with speakers in the front case. This one has a socketed EFI chip in it.
- Pete

Auto mater
roger l

Post by roger l »

Thanks Pete. As usual your words are very informative. I always look back for reference. The spare experimenter will be used for some open back surgery and tests. So far I have Three rock solid PNPIII machines, one test hack and one of those cheap ex betting machines on it's way. Luxury!! Thanks again.