Removing bracket... and ground?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
Leonardo

Removing bracket... and ground?

Post by Leonardo »

Hello
yesterday I removed rear bracket from my O2, 'cause I'd like to mount it on a wall (keeping it removeable). Funny, the bracket alone is heavier than the Joggler :D

I notice there was a little groung wire screwed to the bracket, I just kept it locking it with with a screw from outside so it's fixed to the cover.
Does anyone do something different?
Cheers, Leonardo
Max

Re: Removing bracket... and ground?

Post by Max »

Isn't the bracket also the heat sink?

Maybe watch for it getting a bit hot.
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

No at all, there's not any "link" between electronics of heatsinks and bracket! Was one of the things I checked immediately!
pete

Post by pete »

Here I found a very small removable speaker bracket that works well for a wall mount and leaves enough space for connections.

That said I have a small wall mountable CE 6.0 device that has a miniature VESA mount on the back of it and an "in-wall" Android device using a clam shell approach which is though poorly designed.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Fursty Ferret

Post by Fursty Ferret »

Anyone had any success mounting it in a wall? I have the perfect place for one in my bathroom, complete with 12V supply but haven't figured out how to wall mount it yet. Half tempted to cut a similar slot to that in the original box that the stand slides into.

At least the thing runs warm enough that it'll demist the screen automatically!
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Someone talked about a cheap audio speaker wall mount... what about something like this? I'm sure you can find something better on ebay!

pete

Post by pete »

That one is the one I am using except mine is all plastic except for the threading to the base socket. Your post made me look at my test wall mount stuff again. I had left the "shell" base of some spare parts that I have to test the Joggler on a wall in the basement. I had originally left one small screw in place; went though my parts bins and found another small screw with a little nut. Might just go to the local hardware store and purchase a couple short screws, washers and nuts today. After maybe will mount a Joggler motherboard to the plastic Joggler shell and put the cover on it. I will take pictures of the endeavor.

I purchased the smallest speaker wall mount that I could find here at MonoPrice dot com for around $4.00 USD. Looked everywhere for something smaller and this was all I could find. I am using similiar brackets for two of the 7 speakers externally mounted for my multimedia room. The speakers themselves are heavy made of metal and they have been just fine now for 2 years.

http://www.opentip.com/Electronics/Mono ... MgodaSAAcg

The plastic skin of the Joggler is very resilent and it should work fine. Even better might be to utilize a flat piece of metal with two holes to act as an internal flat large support for the bracket. Even with the screws in place today you can still mount the speaker over it.

That said the bracket allows for moving the Joggler up/down/sideways. The intention here was for the master bathroom Joggler. That said the contraption would fit nicely over a dual/single gang box with one side being the support piece of the bracket using a keystone face plate. Today I use these type of Keyston Faceplates for all my wall multimedia and network face plates. Attaching the support bracket to the Keystone faceplate you could utilize some large flat washers for the keystone jack holes.

Ideally though too you would want to make up some very short wires for the Joggler connectivity; network, audio and power. If using a dual gang box you could hide a small TP-Link POE voltage splitter inside of the box (I am using TP-Links today for 4 Jogglers).

The wall mount would make it easy to remove the Joggler from the wall. Only thing is; is that the speaker bracket would now be part of the Joggler.

Another way; but more invasive to the wall and less invasive to the Joggler is to cut a hole in the wall the size of the inner part of the Joggler LCD piece. Leaving the metal stand on it you could utilize a sort of bungee rubber with hooks inside of the wall to pull the Jogger into place. Then put a small thin wooden frame around the cut edges of the wall painting it any color you want. This manner would leave the Joggler flush on the wall though so you would have to find an optimal height for mounting.
Attachments
KeystoneDual12Port.jpg
KeystoneDual12Port.jpg (4.64 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
KeystoneSingle6Port.jpg
KeystoneSingle6Port.jpg (6.15 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater