S/PDIF output

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Re: S/PDIF output

Post by pete »

Thank you Imagewerx.

I looked and am using one of the two I purchased for one motherboard and standard pin connections from motherboard are 5VDC rather that the 3.3VDC as shown in the documentation for the one that I have.

Here is a picture. I could fit it inside of the Joggler but it is sort of big.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx »

I did mine like this in one of the speaker housings. It's a nice snug fit and the original speaker housing back cover goes back on again to make sure it's solidly mounted.....

Image010 by Imagewerx R32
pete

Post by pete »

Here is a picture of the connector. Looks similiar. I was going to mount it externally.
SPDIF.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

pete wrote:Here is a picture of the connector. Looks similiar. I was going to mount it externally.
SPDIF.jpg
Where can I get one of these optical connectors and what the heck are they actually called? I've searched Maplin, RS and all sorts and can't seem to find it.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

toslink
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

It's this sort of thing that you need put without the phono bit ,
Others have canabalised them from old tv receivers like bt vision boxes etc
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you for the picture share of the SPDIF connector. It looks nice there.

Yeah; here purchased mine on Ebay. It was two of them mounted on a bracket. Thinking the cost was less than $5.00 USD.
- Pete

Auto mater
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

hawsey wrote:It's this sort of thing that you need put without the phono bit ,
Others have canabalised them from old tv receivers like bt vision boxes etc
Yes, that's what I am looking for, but without the phono connection. No matter what combination of TOSLINK / connection / optical / transmitter I put I can't seem to find one for sale.
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

pete wrote:Yeah; here purchased mine on Ebay. It was two of them mounted on a bracket. Thinking the cost was less than $5.00 USD.
Any chance you could post a link? I can't find one at all.
Error

Post by Error »

pete

Post by pete »

Here went looking at my Ebay purchases from 2014 looking specifically for my 2 SPDIF cable and back plate. Found it.

Except the picture now shows something I didn't buy; rather its a combo SPDIF / RCA mounted on small board with a cable and there is a bunch of those on Ebay today.
- Pete

Auto mater
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

Thanks Pete. That's all I could find too. Might have to get one of those and see what I can remove to make space for it.
marctwo

S/PDIF output

Post by marctwo »

I've ordered one of these. Could be interesting getting it to fit.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1438462426
pete

Post by pete »

Your endeavor has me modding the last with USB hub Joggler now with SPDIF. These days use optical, coaxial and HDMI. They all work just fine. What I noticed is that the USB hub had very thin wires inside of cable which made the soldering to the Joggler motherboard an easy task. I am looking at the SPDIF cable and it too appears to be very thin.

I have spools here of 22 gauge wire and that is not thin enough for this kind of stuff. I did google 24 guage wire and they do sell it in a variety of colors.

Googled Cliff electronics and they do make a connector that would work.

It is Cliff electronics part number: Cliff Electronic - FC684205R- OPTICAL SKT RECEIVER (TOSLINK) ORJ-5, FIBER OPTIC

This looks like the one that I have without a cable. I found it on Ebay too from the UK. It looks reasonably priced.

- Pete

Auto mater
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

Thanks Pete. If the one I ordered is too large I shall get one of those. Surely I need the transmitter version though?

Does anyone have any tips on doing the case cutouts? I bought a rotary tool but have never used one before so I'd appreciate some advice on which tip to use.

Also, what kind of wire would be suitable? Someone mentioned microphone cable but there seems to be many types. An eBay link would be appreciated!
pete

Post by pete »

Yup I don't think there is a "transmitter" version of the SPDIF device. It is digital and the wires going to it are not analog therefore you don't really need microphone cable. The difficult part though anyways is cutting the case. I have a rotary tool here too. That said you might want to go really slow with this removing the guts from one case and working with it that way. It is not really difficult to remove the insides of the O2 Joggler out. I would go really slow initially just cutting the interhole areas for one hole. IE: cut the space between four vent holes first going really slow. You can utilize the rototary tool for this (little tiny drill bit). The size in the picture about looks a bit small than 4 X 4 vent holes and a tad bigger than 3 by 3 vent holes. Then smooth the edges with a little rotary stone. You want to start smaller than bigger and use the device itself to fit it into the hole space. Here the purpose of the 4 port USB hub was to hang it on the back of the Joggler such that I will not have anything off of the side of it. (including a DAC USB card). Well it's very functional but sort of big if you look at it.

The boot of the OS is best from a directly connected USB port. That said I do have a custom '86 EFI BIOS booting wintel directly from an SSD ZIF PATA drive. I should also be able to modify current EFI boot partition on the MMC to boot up the PATA drive instead of the USB stick. This would keep the USB wireless stick inside of the Joggler. (all in all then you would have an SPDIF output on the back, USB hub on the back, Wireless stick inside and booting from MMC to a PATA drive inside. Today have left two Jogglers in place with wireless automation connectivity booting into Wintel from the PATA port in this manner (bit of a combination of hardware / software EFI mods).
Does anyone have any tips on doing the case cutouts? I bought a rotary tool but have never used one before so I'd appreciate some advice on which tip to use.
Use a small tip to cut between the vent holes like this one:

Then utilize the little stone heads to smooth out the opening. Use protection on your eyes and best to remove the guts from the O2 case.
I have one of those circular magnifying glass lamps and little clamp hands to hold stuff in place while I work with it. Don't rush and take your time.

- Pete

Auto mater
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

Thank you pete for your very detailed reply. I understand TOSLINK is optical, the wire I was referring to was in the internal wiring to connect up the TOSLINK socket to the Joggler. I haven't opened my Joggler yet so I didn't know what gauge of wire to use or if I needed multi or single core.

Thanks for the tips on the case cutting. 'Joining the dots' using the ventilation/speaker holes seems like the best option.
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; here have utilized 22 guage that I have purchased by the little spool. It is still a bit too thick. It is stranded cable though.

My last endeavor here utilized the USB cable. I stripped away the cover and noticed that the wires are very thin. I have done this before. The USB thin cable is also stranded. You have to be very careful when stripping the outer shield on it. That said it is much easier to work with inside of the Joggler than the 22 Guage wire in the spool I have.

The thinner wires are easier to navigate around and across the motherboard.

Looking at the last modded with USB hub Joggler and wanting to add the SPDIF port some where other than the speaker location which may be difficult.

Now looking at the thin wire approach of mounting the SPDIF connector exteriorly as I do not want to remove the speakers. I would use the little Joggler ledge as pictured, screw (and a touch of glue) to affix it to the back of the Joggler and feed the wires through a tiny hole. It will not every move this way. This way I am not cutting a hole; well I do not really have any space and can keep the wireless stick inside. If I put a little piece of heat shrink tubing on the three wire (thinner wires) you will not noticed them too much.

Note that the USB hub I installed is a bit large but you cannot see it from the front of the Joggler. I have another tiny hub but the ports are arranged along the horizontal edge of the device which wouldn't work for me.
SPDIF-2.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Looking a bit more now and a different way to do this. Found those litttle combination SPDIF and headphone jack devices. Not sure though on the wiring but a guesstimate would be that the back three pins are for the SPDIF portion of the plug and the rest of the pins are for stereo analog out and ground stuff.

Thinking this might fit where the audio jack is today. That is a guesstimate though.

Here is a picture of the audio jack. It almost looks to be a combination SPDIF and analog out jack.
comboaudiojack.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater